Booking more than 12 months in advance - insurance?

I have been unable to locate any guidance regarding booking a holiday more than 12 months in advance.
Assuming no other travel during the period between booking and the overseas trip (deposit due Jan 2020, travel May-June 2021) would a policy cover this, or would I need to renew?
If then booking another trip in November 2020 for December - Jan 2021/22 would two annual policies be better? thanks in advance, if anyone has any experience of this , I'd be grateful for comments.

Comments

• DawnGuk wrote: »
    I have been unable to locate any guidance regarding booking a holiday more than 12 months in advance.
    Assuming no other travel during the period between booking and the overseas trip (deposit due Jan 2020, travel May-June 2021) would a policy cover this, or would I need to renew?
    If then booking another trip in November 2020 for December - Jan 2021/22 would two annual policies be better? thanks in advance, if anyone has any experience of this , I'd be grateful for comments.

You would be covered up to the expiry of the policy and you then make sure you either renew or take out another policy when that expires. No need to have 2 policies running side by side.
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You would be covered up to the expiry of the policy and you then make sure you either renew or take out another policy when that expires. No need to have 2 policies running side by side.
    Won't that cause problems if you are unable to renew immediately due to new symptoms/a condition which as not been fully diagnosed. Then there will be an enforced gap between the policies. For this reason, I never book anything that far ahead.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    katejo wrote: »
    Won't that cause problems if you are unable to renew immediately due to new symptoms/a condition which as not been fully diagnosed. Then there will be an enforced gap between the policies. For this reason, I never book anything that far ahead.

If you get a medical condition during an annual travel policy I'm sure you're obliged to tell them, otherwise it could invalidate your insurance anyway.

Will it be cheaper to do a single trip insurance instead of annual? Unless you're travelling a few trips in the time running up to it.

Also if you were to cancel it now how much money would you lose? I find a lot of trips that far in advance only need a deposit, and most flights usually aren't available to book that far in advance! Is travel insurance needed if all you lose is say a £100 deposit? I've done this before with a trip, booked accommodation which was a deposit, but with when I booked my flights, that's when I got travel insurance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure