Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rocksolid
    • By Rocksolid 11th Jan 20, 7:02 PM
    • 118Posts
    • 9Thanks
    Rocksolid
    2nd floor wood cracking
    • 11th Jan 20, 7:02 PM
    2nd floor wood cracking 11th Jan 20 at 7:02 PM
    Hello,

I've seen few houses so far and the 2nd floor was very poor quality, it looks like was falling down under my feet, but in the same time, I've seen that is extremely common in England.

So, how much should I trust this kind of wood floor?
    For me is very weird that a floor moves when I walk on it.
    So, or I make a low offer or I don't take them at all, the renovation is gonna cost as hell.
    Last edited by Rocksolid; 11-01-2020 at 7:06 PM.
Page 3
    • ceh209
    • By ceh209 13th Jan 20, 3:59 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 527 Thanks
    ceh209
    Otherwise I found a 250k 2 bedroom coach house, brand new, but I don't like someone parking under my house, the only pro is that it's new and is detached.
    Originally posted by Rocksolid
    Hang on hang on... a detached coach house? They do houses that float in mid air now do they?
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
    • laptop80
    • By laptop80 13th Jan 20, 4:03 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    laptop80
    Hang on hang on... a detached coach house? They do houses that float in mid air now do they?
    Originally posted by ceh209
    They float on a cushion of cracking noises.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 13th Jan 20, 4:32 PM
    • 30,156 Posts
    • 103,667 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Not just in the UK apparently. Well dodgy floors here too:
    Originally posted by jimbog
    Yes, but why stop at floors?

If the OP wants to 'verify' stuff on-line there's a whole gamut of things the unsuspecting might check.

For example:
    asbestos
    radon gas
    old mine shafts
    built-up land on old waste sites,
    red ash,
    Mundic blocks
    Non-standard construction
    high silica bricks
    broken drains
    subsidence
    woodworm
    flood zones
    fleecehold
    chancel repair
    bats
    termites (OK this one is very rare here, but not unknown)

and the worst of all......Neighbours From Hell!
    You have been warned!
    • weeg
    • By weeg 13th Jan 20, 6:38 PM
    • 833 Posts
    • 753 Thanks
    weeg
    Should we break it to the OP that the Italian building design codes have about a 95% overlap with ours?
    • Locksmith4.London
    • By Locksmith4.London 13th Jan 20, 8:02 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Locksmith4.London
    Yes is extremely common in England
    • Rocksolid
    • By Rocksolid 15th Jan 20, 12:44 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Rocksolid

Not sure about your funny sentence, but search online coach house UK. Yes, for me that is a new way to interpret the life , but in UK is not.

Yes, but why stop at floors?

If the OP wants to 'verify' stuff on-line there's a whole gamut of things the unsuspecting might check.

For example:
    asbestos
    radon gas
    old mine shafts
    built-up land on old waste sites,
    red ash,
    Mundic blocks
    Non-standard construction
    high silica bricks
    broken drains
    subsidence
    woodworm
    flood zones
    fleecehold
    chancel repair
    bats
    termites (OK this one is very rare here, but not unknown)

and the worst of all......Neighbours From Hell!
    Originally posted by Davesnave

Apparently this will be checked by a property survey.
    • thearchitect
    • By thearchitect 15th Jan 20, 1:23 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    thearchitect

Detached is the appropriate term. As opposed to semi-detached or terraced. All in normal use.
    Health Warning: I am happy to occasionally comment on building matters on the forum. However it is simply not possible to give comprehensive professional technical advice on an internet forum. Any comments made are therefore only of a general nature to point you in what is hopefully the right direction.
    • thearchitect
    • By thearchitect 15th Jan 20, 1:27 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    thearchitect
    No, never, but I can't trust the quality of something like this... This was 240k 2 bedrooms... Should I spend 240k for such quality? Otherwise the rest was great, also wide garden and garage (maybe some improvement here was needed, like security)

Otherwise I found a 250k 2 bedroom coach house, brand new, but I don't like someone parking under my house, the only pro is that it's new and is detached.
    Also here quite confident that those wood bars will move a lot very soon.
    Originally posted by Rocksolid

Timber framed construction, and timber intermediate floors, are a traditional form of construction in the UK (amongst other places). Their use is recognised in the Building Regulations (or Technical Standards, depending upon where one is in the UK).

As has been explained by others, there is consequently no need to be concerned in principle. The question, which should be addressed in a suitably detailed condition survey, is whether there might be a defect in the particular property/properties which you are looking at.

In practice, as others have said, there are many other more likely areas of concern such as the presence of materials containing asbestos or the risk of rot. That is why an appropriately detailed survey, rather than a simple valuation, is important if you are buying an exisitng property.
    Health Warning: I am happy to occasionally comment on building matters on the forum. However it is simply not possible to give comprehensive professional technical advice on an internet forum. Any comments made are therefore only of a general nature to point you in what is hopefully the right direction.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,376Posts Today

4,583Users online

Martin's Twitter