Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mbk2018
    • By mbk2018 8th Jan 20, 6:47 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mbk2018
    Girlfriend moving in
    • 8th Jan 20, 6:47 PM
    Girlfriend moving in 8th Jan 20 at 6:47 PM
    Hi there

I have my own house, on mortgage, but in my name.

My girlfriend is thinking about moving in and we have discussed her paying an amount towards mortgage, bills etc - we have looked at about 500 per month.

My question is - would this be seen as something I should declare on my tax form as an income?

Many thanks

mbk
Page 1
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 8th Jan 20, 6:55 PM
    • 7,383 Posts
    • 8,629 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 8th Jan 20, 6:55 PM
    • 8th Jan 20, 6:55 PM
    Unless you are happy for her to have a financial interest in your house she should not be contributing to your mortgage costs.

There are no tax implications on her paying her share of your joint living costs.
    • Socajam
    • By Socajam 8th Jan 20, 6:56 PM
    • 727 Posts
    • 1,094 Thanks
    Socajam
    • 8th Jan 20, 6:56 PM
    • 8th Jan 20, 6:56 PM
    Please do a search on this forum before moving forward with this.
    You will find valuable information that will save you heartache later on.
    • Weird
    • By Weird 10th Jan 20, 4:54 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Weird
    • 10th Jan 20, 4:54 AM
    • 10th Jan 20, 4:54 AM
    mbk,
    Of course not. It's not a type of income at all. What a nonsense.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 10th Jan 20, 5:05 AM
    • 12,539 Posts
    • 33,440 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 10th Jan 20, 5:05 AM
    • 10th Jan 20, 5:05 AM
    Hi there

I have my own house, on mortgage, but in my name.

My girlfriend is thinking about moving in and we have discussed her paying an amount towards mortgage, bills etc - we have looked at about 500 per month.

My question is - would this be seen as something I should declare on my tax form as an income?

Many thanks

mbk
    Originally posted by mbk2018
    Its your mortgage , you should be paying it. If she's contributes towards the mortgage she gains a beneficial interest in the property

Your GF should only be paying her share of increased costs because she's living there, the council tax, utilities and food etc
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • jimmyjammy001
    • By jimmyjammy001 12th Jan 20, 4:43 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    jimmyjammy001
    • 12th Jan 20, 4:43 PM
    • 12th Jan 20, 4:43 PM
    If she starts paying towards your mortgage then she can have a 50% claim on your house if she leaves in future
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 12th Jan 20, 5:45 PM
    • 9,184 Posts
    • 33,408 Thanks
    Primrose
    • 12th Jan 20, 5:45 PM
    • 12th Jan 20, 5:45 PM
    Definitely she shouldn,t be contributing towards the mortgage. And to play safe, exchange letters of agreement outlining exactly what her monthly payments are contributing to, ie council tax, utility bills, groceries and other general,living expenses.
    Plenty of couples have I stuck on this in the past in the event of relationship breakups. Learning from other people's' mistakes is a lot less painful than learning from your own.
    There,s always a chance to do things differently if you decide to make your relationship permanent .
    • cns06
    • By cns06 13th Jan 20, 9:57 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    cns06
    • 13th Jan 20, 9:57 PM
    • 13th Jan 20, 9:57 PM
    There is space on a tax return for this however its not really for "girlfriends" its for lodgers which is where the OP may be confused. Its called the Rent A Room Scheme and the govt allow up to 7500 tax free income from RARS per tax year.

So if she is moving in as a lodger and she will have her own room then perhaps this could apply.. but honestly as a GF probably not.

But as others have said she should not be paying towards the mortgage. In fact I would go so far as to say she should not be paying anything at this stage.

To say more, you need to tell us more - how long have you been together? Is this likely to last? Is she employed? What is your income split like?
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 15th Jan 20, 10:49 AM
    • 7,386 Posts
    • 11,860 Thanks
    Malthusian
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:49 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:49 AM
    mbk,
    Of course not. It's not a type of income at all. What a nonsense.
    Originally posted by Weird
    It was a perfectly sensible question as if people are living in your property and paying you money it is often taxable income. It just isn't in this case. Chill out.

If she starts paying towards your mortgage then she can have a 50% claim on your house if she leaves in future
    Originally posted by jimmyjammy001
    It would be a 50% claim only if she could show that she had paid 50% of the cost of acquiring the property from the beginning. I.e. if they bought the house together and split everything down the middle.

As others have said, mbk should not be asking for a contribution to paying the mortgage unless he is happy for her to acquire a beneficial interest, and to have to buy her out or sell the property in the event of breakup.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,216Posts Today

5,134Users online

Martin's Twitter