Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EnglishMohican
    • By EnglishMohican 25th Nov 19, 11:08 PM
    • 170Posts
    • 89Thanks
    EnglishMohican
    Marriage Allowance Transfer and Self Assessment
    • 25th Nov 19, 11:08 PM
    Marriage Allowance Transfer and Self Assessment 25th Nov 19 at 11:08 PM
    I complete my Self Assessment using the HMRC website and their website software. For the last two or three years, I have filled in my details and when I get to the calculation there is an entry marked "Marriage Allowance Transfer" which reduces my tax by the appropriate amount.

This year, when I get to the calculation, there is no such entry and my tax is 237 more than it should be.

This is not the wife being awkward, I still have that transfer and on the first page when I log into HMRC, it says I have that transfer.

But the calculation does not pick it up.

Is this a common problem (ie HMRC screwed up the software) or are HMRC picking on just me?
Page 1
    • noh
    • By noh 25th Nov 19, 11:36 PM
    • 5,341 Posts
    • 3,644 Thanks
    noh
    • 25th Nov 19, 11:36 PM
    • 25th Nov 19, 11:36 PM
    Its not just you. Mine is the same.
    No MAT in the calculation.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 25th Nov 19, 11:40 PM
    • 3,032 Posts
    • 4,896 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 25th Nov 19, 11:40 PM
    • 25th Nov 19, 11:40 PM
    I suspect this is because they say it is a reduction in your tax liability & not an increase in your tax allowance. Logic does not seem to be their strong suit!

So file & it should show as a reduction in your liability. Mind I am not holding my breath as they seem to be going from bad to worse. I think "systems not fit for purpose comes to mind".
    Last edited by badmemory; 25-11-2019 at 11:42 PM.
    • jimmo
    • By jimmo 26th Nov 19, 12:47 AM
    • 2,078 Posts
    • 2,488 Thanks
    jimmo
    • 26th Nov 19, 12:47 AM
    • 26th Nov 19, 12:47 AM
    I complete my Self Assessment using the HMRC website and their website software. For the last two or three years, I have filled in my details and when I get to the calculation there is an entry marked "Marriage Allowance Transfer" which reduces my tax by the appropriate amount.

This year, when I get to the calculation, there is no such entry and my tax is 237 more than it should be.

This is not the wife being awkward, I still have that transfer and on the first page when I log into HMRC, it says I have that transfer.

But the calculation does not pick it up.

Is this a common problem (ie HMRC screwed up the software) or are HMRC picking on just me?
    Originally posted by EnglishMohican

Are you sure about that? I am not exactly the world's greatest expert in anything related to computers but when you complete an online SA Return the first step is a calculation of your (pure) tax liability, the amount of tax chargeable on your income. Then, perhaps after a day, You should see your statement of account which should give a credit for the MAT.
    I would suggest you submit your Return now. See what happens the following day. If there's a problem you will have a reasonable amount of time to sort it out before 31 Jan.
    • EnglishMohican
    • By EnglishMohican 26th Nov 19, 8:43 AM
    • 170 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    EnglishMohican
    • 26th Nov 19, 8:43 AM
    • 26th Nov 19, 8:43 AM
    Thank you all three.

As two of you think this is a staged process, HMRC must run several versions of software! In previous years - and this year, the calculation seems to be complete (except this year no MAT), ending up with a figure that they say I should pay. It has always done this before I submit it and previously has arrived at the correct figure (before submission). In previous years I have not submitted until I was happy that the figure agreed (more or less) with my own calculations.

I will give them a phone call - see if I can get through!
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 26th Nov 19, 9:03 AM
    • 6,142 Posts
    • 3,265 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 26th Nov 19, 9:03 AM
    • 26th Nov 19, 9:03 AM
    Or maybe your income for 2018:19 is at the level where you are not eligible for Marriage Allowance??
    • EnglishMohican
    • By EnglishMohican 26th Nov 19, 9:05 AM
    • 170 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    EnglishMohican
    • 26th Nov 19, 9:05 AM
    • 26th Nov 19, 9:05 AM
    I wish it were!
    • noh
    • By noh 27th Nov 19, 12:01 PM
    • 5,341 Posts
    • 3,644 Thanks
    noh
    • 27th Nov 19, 12:01 PM
    • 27th Nov 19, 12:01 PM
    Thank you all three.

As two of you think this is a staged process, HMRC must run several versions of software! In previous years - and this year, the calculation seems to be complete (except this year no MAT), ending up with a figure that they say I should pay. It has always done this before I submit it and previously has arrived at the correct figure (before submission). In previous years I have not submitted until I was happy that the figure agreed (more or less) with my own calculations.

I will give them a phone call - see if I can get through!
    Originally posted by EnglishMohican
    I agree with this.
    I saved PDFs of the previous years tax calculation before submitting at the point where it said 90% complete.
    2017/18 has a deduction for MAT

minus Marriage Allowance Transfer 1100.00 x 20% 220

No such deduction appears on the 2018/19 calculation.

Income is around the same and well below the higher rate threshold.
    • ATOMICPINK
    • By ATOMICPINK 3rd Jan 20, 2:03 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ATOMICPINK
    • 3rd Jan 20, 2:03 PM
    • 3rd Jan 20, 2:03 PM
    Did anyone get an answer to this - I noticed the name issue but have submitted and trying to contact HMRC is proving a pain today!
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 3rd Jan 20, 4:38 PM
    • 3,139 Posts
    • 1,472 Thanks
    polymaff
    Are you sure about that? I am not exactly the world's greatest expert in anything related to computers but when you complete an online SA Return the first step is a calculation of your (pure) tax liability, the amount of tax chargeable on your income. Then, perhaps after a day, You should see your statement of account which should give a credit for the MAT.
    Originally posted by jimmo

I agree that the Statement of Account - not the SA100 or the SA302 - is where to look - but if only....

I completed SA weeks ago and no statement of account has appeared online - either for me or Mrs. P.

What an absolute shower HMRC are.
    • sb94707
    • By sb94707 4th Jan 20, 5:36 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sb94707
    hi all. same problems here.. have submitted the wifes (no tax to pay), and was hoping that would trigger, an update, and show the allowance on mine nothing yet after 3 days (havent submitted mine yet).

Have seen a post bu "dazed an confused" saying submit, then call HMRC to get them to force the allowance transfer through.

will call on monday if no change shown by then.
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 4th Jan 20, 6:36 PM
    • 6,142 Posts
    • 3,265 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    Have seen a post bu "dazed an confused" saying submit, then call HMRC to get them to force the allowance transfer through.
    You have taken that post completely out of context. It was in reply to someone who had posted this,

However, after 3 attempts the form now declares:
    "Error: As you have already made three attempts to match your Recipient details, you cannot select to transfer your Marriage allowance on this return".
    I have no idea why you don't just file your return? Phoning HMRC would be a waste of time. I would expect them to just tell you to file the return.
    • DavidC12
    • By DavidC12 12th Jan 20, 11:36 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DavidC12
    I have come across this same problem when trying to prepare the self-assessment returns of a married couple for 2018/19 using HMRC’s platform. One spouse made the election to transfer in 2015/16 and the transferred value has been deducted from that transferor spouse’s personal allowance and added to recipient spouse’s personal allowance in both subsequent tax years.

Has anyone any experience of how resolve this problem of no addition being shown in 2018/19 preliminary tax liability calculation for recipient even though the reduction is shown in that calculation for transferor?

My current feeling is simply to submit both returns now and send separate letter to HMRC asking for a reduction of tax liability of the recipient by 1190 * 20% = 238. If that reduction is not made by HMRC by 31 Jan then pay the higher uncorrected tax and write another letter asking for a refund of 238 overpaid.
    Last edited by DavidC12; 12-01-2020 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Typo
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 12th Jan 20, 11:46 AM
    • 6,142 Posts
    • 3,265 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    and added to recipient spouse’s personal allowance in both subsequent tax years
    Not in way you put it hasn't. The recipient of Marriage Allowance is not entitled to any additional Personal Allowance, they get a tax credit off their income tax liability. Which does make a difference for some people.

Has anyone any experience of how resolve this problem of no addition being shown in 2018/19 preliminary tax liability calculation for recipient even though the reduction is shown in that calculation for transferor?
    It really isn't a problem. You just file both returns (with the application on the transferrors) and HMRC will automatically adjust the recipients figures a few days later.

My current feeling is simply to submit both returns now and send separate letter to HMRC asking for a reduction of tax liability of the recipient by 1190 * 20% = 238. If that reduction is not made by HMRC by 31 Jan then pay the higher uncorrected tax and write another letter asking for a refund of 238 overpaid.
    Don't waste yours (or HMRC's) time sending a letter. File the returns. Wait a week and check the recipients position. If not resolved then think about a letter. Or a call to the agents helpline may be quicker. But you are right to say pay the correct amount (which may well be 238 less than currently calculated).
    • DavidC12
    • By DavidC12 12th Jan 20, 12:25 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DavidC12
    Thanks to Dazed and... for such a quick response.
    Yes, my apologies for my sloppy wording about recipient’s personal allowance being increased by 1190 rather than his tax liability being reduced by 238.

I will proceed as you suggest.
    Last edited by DavidC12; 12-01-2020 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Typo correction
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 13th Jan 20, 10:08 AM
    • 3,139 Posts
    • 1,472 Thanks
    polymaff
    Thanks to Dazed and... for such a quick response.
    Yes, my apologies for my sloppy wording about recipient’s personal allowance being increased by 1190 rather than his tax liability being reduced by 238
    Originally posted by DavidC12

No need to apologise!

GOV.UK still has statements such as:

"Your partner transferred 1,250 to your Personal Allowance, making their allowance 11,250 and yours 13,750."

on their website. Complete and utter nonsense - still there as HMRC is still in denial about how they've completely misunderstood both the legislation and their various, bogus, incompetent attempts at implementation.

And that's putting it mildly...
    • noh
    • By noh 14th Jan 20, 8:56 AM
    • 5,341 Posts
    • 3,644 Thanks
    noh
    Its not just you. Mine is the same.
    No MAT in the calculation.
    Originally posted by noh
    Submitted mine and a week or so later a new calculation arrived by post with the MAT included.
    Online in my account the amount of tax to be paid is correct.
    The calculation online is unchanged so still does not include MAT.
    Last edited by noh; 14-01-2020 at 9:17 AM.
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 14th Jan 20, 9:01 AM
    • 3,139 Posts
    • 1,472 Thanks
    polymaff
    Submitted mine and a week or so later a new calculation arrived by post with the MAT included.
    Online in my account the amount of tax to be paid is correct.
    Originally posted by noh

So will everyone wound up by this issue wait for the MAT credit - which is no part of the SA100 liability computation - to turn up as a credit on their Statement of Account?
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 15th Jan 20, 11:10 AM
    • 1,428 Posts
    • 690 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    There have been posts too in the general large thread about marriage allowance on this matter (MAT).
    I does seem as if the MAT is no longer included in the return or czlculation thus showing an erroneous position and SA302 Calculation.
    It has been taken into account afterwards resulting in a paper copy of an updated calc then being sent out to taxpayers within about 14 days.

It does seem to be then calculated correctly but is not reflected in online calculation Sa302 however it is taken into account in the online current position.

I cannot see why HMRC have changed methodology from previous years and they obviously still have issues with internal digital communications. Does not PAYE coding still show MAT as an allowance? So, the return should too and several problems would be solved!

I agree with those comments posted critical of HMRC. Dazed's posts are very helpfull on tax matters but I do not agree that it is a waste of time contacting HMRC. If we respond there could be more chance of issues being corrected? On the other hand I have no confidence in HMRC getting thing digital done correctly.

Final note. Do keep your paper copies of the amended calcs secure. It might be the only evidence available!!
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 15th Jan 20, 12:35 PM
    • 6,142 Posts
    • 3,265 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    Does not PAYE coding still show MAT as an allowance? So, the return should too and several problems would be solved!
    It does but strictly speaking it is the tax code that is wrong, not the SA302.

Receipt of Marriage Allowance doesn't entitle you to any additional Personal Allowance, it is a tax credit off your tax liability. But that cannot be shown easily in a tax code hence the use of an additional allowance. In a similar fashion to how Married Couple's Allowance is shown.

And I don't mean never contact HMRC but I personally wouldn't bother until you have let a few days pass and Marriage Allowance can be taken into account (for the recipient).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

105Posts Today

1,520Users online

Martin's Twitter