work and health programme seetec pluss. Anybody have any experience ?

Options
another_casualty
another_casualty Posts: 6,506 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 25 November 2019 at 10:20AM in Benefits & tax credits
Howdy !
A brief update of my situation so far ...
I have been on universal credit since jan this year. First payment March
I have been declined LCW , but am awaiting a court appointment at any time . My appointments with the various job coaches have been more frequent since my last 6 monthly fit note got ripped up by universal credit in sept . Which leads me to the present :

I have been proactive , even joining the job club which I wasn't told about ( thanks moo121for suggestion). I also enrolled for 2 courses in jan. Boost ny confidence , and a computer course .
When I had a phone appointment with my job coach a few weeks back, he mentioned the above . He did say that if I don't volunteer now , then next year it is mandatory. I of course wanted to comply and do as I'm told. Last Monday , I saw the job coach in the job centre for my next appointment . He told me that I've been accepted by seetec pluss
TBH , it sounds too good to be true .He advised me that I should think of things to ask for , such as a special chair etc. What I don't ask for, I don't get .

I received a call last weds from seetec pluss, also a letter confirming me of an appointment on weds for my introduction.
I must say that the conversation with the chap I spoke to , seemed bizarrely positive .universal credit and positive , doesn't sound right
He said that they would try to find a position to suit my requirements, and ' not because there's a vacancy at a chip shop because it's there .'
I have myasthenia gravis, and have been unemployed just over 3 years . I'm hoping to get part time desk work for a couple of hours a day , 5 days a week - mid mornings only . The chap said that seems do able . So it sounds positive enough . Apparently seetec pluss is for people of various backgrounds and for people unemployed for more than 2 years .
Please could someone advise

Thanks in advance

Comments

• stupidaspie
    stupidaspie Posts: 124 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 November 2019 at 4:39PM
    Options
    If your referral is voluntary, you don't have to attend the initial WHP appointment if you don't want to or aren't sure about joining. If you start the WHP as a 'volunteer' and then stop attending, you'll be mandated for the remainder of time.

I don't actually know of anyone who's been been referred to the WHP on a mandatory basis, even though gov.uk states that it's mandatory if you've been unemployed 2 years +, so what your work coach said about it being mandatory next year could be an attempt at coercion. I suppose more mandatory places could become available later on though, if Jobcentres can't get sufficient numbers to volunteer for it.

I would be wary of joining if you're appealing a LCW decision, because joining the WHP means you're committing to finding work within a year, and the providers use questionnaires about your health conditions and capability for work in a process they call 'diagnostics'.

The WHP providers are, in the main, the same providers who delivered the Work Programme. In my experience, they are very pushy and economical with the truth about jobs they want you to apply for.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Thanks very much for that .
    I am not refusing work, but believe I have ltd capability before the body tires more rapidly and I can't function like I used to .
    Never been in this situation before , as I've always been working up to the last 3 years hen I had to change my way of life.
    They have forced me back into employment too quickly . Then again how is anyone supposed to survive on £317 p month?

I had a bad experience a year ago , when I applied to work as a Christmas casual for Royal Mail . The available hrs 5.30 pm- 930 pm didn't work out . Add to this , it was in a hard to get to industrial estate , my body started to collapse and I quit next day .

That Royal Mail job was done before I signed onto u c btw .

Seems like this bunch are not to be trusted ..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure