Does the USA close down for Christmas

I'm going to be in Tampa, Florida, at Christmas.

What I'm wondering is does the USA close down completely at Christmas like we do in the UK? I'm hoping the answer is "no" as I'm going there partly to escape Christmas!

Last year I was in Tenerife and Christmas day seemed just like any other - hoping it'll be the same in Tampa!

Comments

• When I lived over there (late 80's) Christmas was pretty much like any other day, Thanksgiving seemed a bigger thing to most.
  • Most shops will be closed on Christmas day but they don't celebrate Boxing day, so it will all return to normal very quickly.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    When I lived over there (late 80's) Christmas was pretty much like any other day, Thanksgiving seemed a bigger thing to most.

Same experience for me in late 90s - Christmas was only a really big deal for the expats desperate to get their hands on mince pies, Christmas pudding and crackers. Most Americans, apart from public employees, get little in the way of holidays and they generally don't use them at Christmas. As an employee of a British owned company I had generous holidays and a week long office closure over Christmas and New Year.
  • Murmansk
    Murmansk Posts: 929 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    That all sounds quite promising thanks!
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Nope, it's quite lively. We've been there twice over Christmas.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,521 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Wife has dealt with US companies for years. Christmas Day is the only day the office staff have as a statutory holiday, back to it day after.

If its a weekend no day off on Monday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport