Which car should I buy?

Options
So, I'm in the process of buying a new car. I'm down to 2 options but can't decide between them - I need other opinions to help me decide. They're both the same price but very different cars.

Option 1
Ford Mondeo 1.0 zetez 2016 (16 plate) , 40,000 miles

Option 2
Peugeot 2008 1.2 active 2018 (68 plate), 13,500 miles

Mondeo is the car I initially set out to buy. It's the nicer looking, more refined and 'classier' car of the 2... But the Peugeot is smart looking too with a good spec.

Both cars meet my needs in terms of quality of drive, internal space and spec, boot space and appearance. I've test driven both... as you would expect the Mondeo was the better ride - very smooth and quiet but the 2008 was pretty good too though not as quiet.

Most of my driving will be short journeys around town, with a couple of medium length trips per week and the occasional long journey with the family.

There's no doubt that the Mondeo is the better car all round and my instinct is to choose it, but I like the 2008 more than I thought I would; plus it's newer, has done a lot less miles and still has 2 years manufacturers warranty... and it won't need an MOT for 2 years. The Mondeo on the other hand only comes with 3 months warranty - I could add an extra 12 for £250 and it will have 12 months MOT. I'm stretching my budget to buy either car so I really can't afford to be paying for repairs a few months down the line.

I suppose you could say - my heart says Mondeo - my head says Peugeot. The 2008 is the sensible, safe, secure choice. I get piece of mind and a nice, practically new car that i would be happy with. The Mondeo is the car I am more emotionally connected to. It's more refined, I would feel good about owning and driving it; but I don't get piece of mind or after-sale security.

My dilemma is that if I get the Peugeot I may still end up pining for the Mondeo, whereas if I buy the Mondeo I may end up regretting it and wish I'd bought the Peugeot.

I've been mulling this over for 2 days and can't decide. All opinions gratefully received. :)

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.

I’ve moved your thread from the ‘I wanna’ board to the ‘Motoring’ board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,231 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    How long do you plan to keep your chosen car? If you change within the 2 year warranty period - the Pug might be sensible - but every Peugeot I've ever driven (as company cars from new) have developed serious electrical faults after 1-2 years on the road. So if you're covered that's not a big issue - but beyond warranty might give you a headache. I imagine the depreciation on the Peugeot will be a bit quicker than the Mondeo as well, so that might be something else to consider.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Have you googled 'issues with Ford 1.0 ecoboost engines'?
    The Pug will be easier to drive around town and park as the Mondeo is a huge car.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Buy the car that you like the most.

If you do, then you're driving around in the car you wanted.

If you don't, then you will always be driving around in the car you didn't really like, but you thought you ought to buy it.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Clive_Woody
    Options
    Neither, buy a Skoda Octavia
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you googled 'issues with Ford 1.0 ecoboost engines'?
    The Pug will be easier to drive around town and park as the Mondeo is a huge car.

For those reasons I would choose the Peugeot for town driving.
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    Options
    Read reviews on the Skoda,much better and more gadgets than the Ford.
  • Brilley
    Brilley Posts: 225 Forumite
    Options
    Personally I would never by a French car after being stung with loads of quality issues in the past. However as per the above there seems to be lots of problems with the Ford 1.0lt eco engines, so I would not buy either an go with a Skoda Octavia (petrol), or Golf..their small petrol engines seem to be very good, (had one myself)...but that's just me...
  • alan_d
    alan_d Posts: 363 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    A 1.0 engine (even turbo'd etc) sounds like it would be painful in a car as large as a mondeo !
    However i'd also avoid anything French. The Skoda Octavia mentioned above is a better bet than either.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mondeo Man here so rather biased, but if your stretching the budget for either car then you should choose neither of them.

Cars often have bills so pushing you finances to purchase it maybe an expensive mistake. Buy something slighty cheaper and have money in reserve.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure