Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • asparklyblonde
    • By asparklyblonde 29th Sep 19, 3:10 PM
    • 164Posts
    • 1,815Thanks
    asparklyblonde
    Not Buying It 2019/20 - consumer holiday!
    • 29th Sep 19, 3:10 PM
    Not Buying It 2019/20 - consumer holiday! 29th Sep 19 at 3:10 PM
    Good afternoon fellow OSers

Many of you may recall that a few years ago we had a wonderful Not Buying It thread started by the lovely Slowdown. For various reasons I have recently searched out that thread and read it from start to finish.

I like to think I'm not much of a consumer, not easily sucked in by the ads, the convenience of superstores, the buzz of buying online.... but I am. And it has to stop. This was highlighted to me even more this weekend when we sorted and rearranged DDs room, bags and bags of stuff have been evicted to go to the charity shop, absolutely none of them were mindful purchases at all.

Mindless consuming stops NOW. DS went to a party this morning, normally we would dash to a toy store and pick up a gift, then dash into M&S next door for a card - not today. We have lots of never read children's books that are immaculate, so we wrapped three of those up (David Walliams), and DS made him a card.

I am also giving up my six weekly hair appointments, seriously I do not need them. Through YouTube I have learnt to trim my own fringe this morning

I want life to be simpler, less fraught with 'stuff' and I really think if I start to look after the pennies the pounds will follow. I have meal planned for the week and have no need to spend a penny at all.

If anyone cares to join me as we head into Autumn I would welcome the company

ASB xxx
Page 1
    • Happy One
    • By Happy One 29th Sep 19, 3:58 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    Happy One
    • 29th Sep 19, 3:58 PM
    • 29th Sep 19, 3:58 PM
    I would love to be the first to join you asparklyblonde but I don’t know if I will be of any use as I’m not much of a consumer! I’m a bit of an Aging Hippie but love my life style and never feel I’m missing out on anything at all.
    Never buy on line, haven’t been to the hairdressers in years, have long hair which I twist up into a clip, just get OH to trim it off for me every now and again when I wash it.
    All my clothes apart from underwear and most shoes come from charity shops, table top sales etc. Buy some amazing things for the Grandkids this way too
    Enjoy mostly home style hobbies, crafts, baking reading etc.
    Don’t want to come across as all virtuous as I know this lifestyle is not for everyone and I appreciate that but it suits me.
    • bargainhunterss
    • By bargainhunterss 29th Sep 19, 4:06 PM
    • 715 Posts
    • 6,779 Thanks
    bargainhunterss
    • 29th Sep 19, 4:06 PM
    • 29th Sep 19, 4:06 PM
    Good afternoon fellow OSers
    If anyone cares to join me as we head into Autumn I would welcome the company

ASB xxx
    Originally posted by asparklyblonde
    You’re on! I’m normally quite good with keeping to Martin’s Money-saving Mantras (do i need it, can i afford it, is it available cheaper somewhere else), but I fear standards are slipping! We really need to watch the pennies at the moment as we’re planning on doing the bathroom and so trying to save for that. Not going well so far!

Hopefully planning for a more frugal and mindful (of spending) Autumn.
    Too many people spend money they earned..to buy things they don't want..to impress people that they don't like...

"Every time you borrow money, you're robbing your future self."

Every pound we spend is a vote for the sort of world we want
    • bexster1975
    • By bexster1975 29th Sep 19, 4:33 PM
    • 1,436 Posts
    • 6,855 Thanks
    bexster1975
    • 29th Sep 19, 4:33 PM
    • 29th Sep 19, 4:33 PM
    Hello asparklyblonde

I would like to join in.

I was on the original thread occasionally. I already plan to reduce consumption - particularly related to C*****mas

Thank you for starting a new thread.

I hope Slowdown joins us

Bexster
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 29th Sep 19, 6:02 PM
    • 1,342 Posts
    • 8,029 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    • 29th Sep 19, 6:02 PM
    • 29th Sep 19, 6:02 PM
    Hi asparklyblonde
    Iíd like to join too if thatís ok.
    Iím aiming to make to most of what Iíve already got and be mindful of new purchases.
    We are planning on some new furniture as we are having our flat refurbished. However nothing is going to waste, our unwanted furniture is going to our grown up kids who are just setting up their first bought homes.
    I already try to use as little as possible but it is easy to buy odd bits that you donít really need and I do need to address this. A lot of the kids Xmas presents this year will be money rather than stuff they might not use.

Good luck
    Cuddles
    2019 Grocery Spend £1145.34/£2000
    October GS £60/£200
    • Elnora32
    • By Elnora32 29th Sep 19, 6:59 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 896 Thanks
    Elnora32
    • 29th Sep 19, 6:59 PM
    • 29th Sep 19, 6:59 PM
    Hello asparklyblonde, I'd like to join too. I'm not much of a spender and I already live a fairly simple life but there is always room for improvement.

Elnora
    • asparklyblonde
    • By asparklyblonde 30th Sep 19, 6:15 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 1,815 Thanks
    asparklyblonde
    • 30th Sep 19, 6:15 PM
    • 30th Sep 19, 6:15 PM
    Thank you one and all for joining me.

Today has been fantastic - a No Spend Day I purposely left my purse at home so I couldn't spend even if I wanted to. I will repeat this tomorrow, we have all the food in the house that we need, packed lunches have been made for DH and the children (I get a free meal at work each day), and I have absolutely no need to buy anything at all.

Another plus, I found a long forgotten about item in DDs room yesterday which is surplus to requirements, which I promptly listed on eBay and netted £30, hurrah

Normally when I sell on eBay, I immediately fritter away the money on rubbish. Instead, I have used it to buy a Lego set which is DS's main Christmas present (we never buy the children lots for Christmas, this is one area where bizarrely consumerism is shunned by us, we prefer to spend time together at Christmas, not money. Plus our kids are small and therefore their 'wants' are minimal).

My weak points are:
    - nipping into the big A$da near work almost daily for bits and pieces
    - nipping to M&S for something small, like crumpets, and spending £30+
    - getting my hair done (already said up thread these have been knocked on the head straight away)

What are other people's weak points? Any tips to stay strong when the impulse strikes?

ASB xx
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 1st Oct 19, 12:04 PM
    • 1,342 Posts
    • 8,029 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    • 1st Oct 19, 12:04 PM
    • 1st Oct 19, 12:04 PM
    My weak points are doing a weekly shop when there is no need. Mind you very little goes to waste, fresh stuff is either frozen or made into soup. Anything nearing its date is always incorporated into meals, though sometimes OH wonders about the foods I put together.
    Yesterday I put my new resolution into action. I have to walk past a Costa getting to work and often succumb. I didnít though so Iím £2.50 better off for it, it all adds up.
    Christmas is one of our major downfalls. Every year we say we wonít buy as much. Last year I mastered the food side. Weíd eaten all the sweets, biscuits etc by New Year so this year I need to work on buying useful fun stuff rather than junk that will sit in a cupboard until it finds its way to the charity shop. Weíre having Xmas dinner at our eldest son and his girlfriends new house this year so I wonít need all the meat and veggie stuff.
    Anyway enough about Xmas for now. I promised myself I wouldnít start on Xmas this year until mid November when we are back in our flat after our renovations are done. I will be strong.
    Good luck guys
    Cuddles
    2019 Grocery Spend £1145.34/£2000
    October GS £60/£200
    • Elnora32
    • By Elnora32 1st Oct 19, 8:50 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 896 Thanks
    Elnora32
    • 1st Oct 19, 8:50 PM
    • 1st Oct 19, 8:50 PM
    ASB Ė well done on the NSD. Years ago, I decided that I if I didnít have any change, I wouldnít break in to a note to buy a bar of chocolate or other non essential item. Over the years this must have saved me a fortune as money just disappears once it is Ďjustí change in your purse. to the ebay sale and spending the money on a Christmas present.

Cuddlymarm - £2.50 per week for the rest of the year would add up to a few £££. Your flat will be lovely when you get back in to it.
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 2nd Oct 19, 1:02 PM
    • 1,355 Posts
    • 9,944 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Hello. Count me in, please, although I'm probably not your target market. I'm not a big shopper for "stuff"; I'd rather spend my money on experiences. However, having said that, my weaknesses are books and yarn. I have enough yarn in the spare room to open a shop!

As readers of the Fashion on the Ration thread will know, I'm now on a yarn diet until the end of 2020. I've gone "Cold Sheep".

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
    • Happy One
    • By Happy One 3rd Oct 19, 10:00 AM
    • 77 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    Happy One
    Hi PipneyJane. Like you I’m a book and yarn gal. But these days I go through my stash before I buy any yarn, and all my books come from the charity shops. Last week I found a pile of the very expensive knitting magazines in a local charity shop, no price on them just a small donation asked for so I came home with a good few for some money in the collecting tin. It never bothers me that they are not brand new from the newsagents.
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 4th Oct 19, 1:26 PM
    • 1,355 Posts
    • 9,944 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Hi PipneyJane. Like you Iím a book and yarn gal. But these days I go through my stash before I buy any yarn, and all my books come from the charity shops. Last week I found a pile of the very expensive knitting magazines in a local charity shop, no price on them just a small donation asked for so I came home with a good few for some money in the collecting tin. It never bothers me that they are not brand new from the newsagents.
    Originally posted by Happy One
    Lucky you!

Ditto re knitting patterns. Most of the things I knit are from patterns published decades ago - have you seen Trove? It's an online resource from the Australian National Library - they're digitising and cataloguing all old Australian newspapers and magazines and then publishing them online. Thanks to Trove, I'm currently knitting a jumper from a pattern that was published in the Australian Women's Weekly in 1942: Hand-knit Charm.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 4th Oct 19, 2:10 PM
    • 3,791 Posts
    • 7,254 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    This sounds a fab idea. Trouble is, I've already had a no-spend 2019 as far as clothes are concerned!!

My favourite skinny jeans are on the point of giving out, my handbag is a disgrace - and today the underwire in my #1 bra decided to make a bid for freedom. So - I'm going to have to spend some money.

On the plus side, my smart winter coat is still good, ditto my long boots. My ankle boots will make it through another winter, the running repairs I did to my trainers are holding (superglue is wonderful stuff...) and I wear a uniform for work now so I no longer need to have an endless supply of smart clothes in my wardrobe.

All the best with this challenge, but I won't be able to join you I'm afraid.
    xx
    • Happy One
    • By Happy One 6th Oct 19, 5:08 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    Happy One
    I I’ve had a ‘no spend’ weekend Did a quick top up shop on Friday, bread, salad etc. though didn’t buy anything I didn’t need. So only spent 50p all weekend for my cuppa at ‘Crafty Getogether’ meeting yesterday,
    Likewise ,PipneyJane most of my knitting patterns are decades old but straight forward items, jumpers cardigans baby jerseys and dolls clothes don’t change too much!
    Last edited by Happy One; 06-10-2019 at 6:35 PM. Reason: Wrong spelling
    • BobbinAlong
    • By BobbinAlong 9th Oct 19, 7:39 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    BobbinAlong
    I haven't managed to not add to the yarn stash this week - but it was Machine Knitting Live exhibition! However my tip for yarn addicts is to get out all your yarns and sort them by type (4 ply, DK etc) then take each one and make a shade ribbon by casting on ten stitches and knitting 10 rows then changing to the next colour and continuing until all are done. I have a shade ribbon for shetland, one for cotton, one for crepe and so on. These then go in a ziploc bag in my handbag and I can use them to ensure I don't buy the same colour twice. I also keep a spreadsheet of the type, colour and weight of yarn so I know exactly what I have for planning a project.
    • Happy One
    • By Happy One 9th Oct 19, 3:38 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    Happy One
    No chance of me buying ‘new’ clothes, only ‘new to me’ Have bought three pair of jeans over the last few months, one denim, one burgundy and one black cord, sum total of £4. All new condition though one brand new still with tags, so along with some very good sweater buys at £1 each that’s me set up for winter.
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 10th Oct 19, 11:02 AM
    • 1,355 Posts
    • 9,944 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    I haven't managed to not add to the yarn stash this week - but it was Machine Knitting Live exhibition! However my tip for yarn addicts is to get out all your yarns and sort them by type (4 ply, DK etc) then take each one and make a shade ribbon by casting on ten stitches and knitting 10 rows then changing to the next colour and continuing until all are done. I have a shade ribbon for shetland, one for cotton, one for crepe and so on. These then go in a ziploc bag in my handbag and I can use them to ensure I don't buy the same colour twice. I also keep a spreadsheet of the type, colour and weight of yarn so I know exactly what I have for planning a project.
    Originally posted by BobbinAlong
    What did you buy, BobbinAlong? I'm avoiding the Knit & Stitch Show at Ally Pally this week, because of the temptation.

That's a good tip. I rely on Ravelry to know what is in my stash and which yarns are already allocated to items in my queue. It won't stop me buying virtually the same coloured yarn in a different fibre - I'm drawn to denim blues - but it does remind me that I don't need yet another ball of grey sock yarn, when I already have 10 skeins at home.

- Pip

• Caramac
    • By Caramac 13th Oct 19, 7:56 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    Caramac
    I’m in. I would say I’m not a big consumer but it all adds up.

I’d already decided after I go to a Yarn show in November I wasn’t going to buy any more until the end of next year.
    • bexster1975
    • By bexster1975 14th Oct 19, 8:55 AM
    • 1,436 Posts
    • 6,855 Thanks
    bexster1975
    I don't have particular weaknesses. Sometimes we get a take away when there is plenty of food in to eat. I love books, but only buy from charity shops Andy no wonder increasingly borrow from the library either ebooks or eaudiobooks which is so convenient and free. I like nice toiletries and skincare, but always buy them on deals and currently have enough to cover most of 2020. A bargain I still my main weakness. I have already got many of the Ch******s presents sorted, and agreed limits with people we are buying for. Have also agreed not to buy with others. We don't really need anything buying, so it's better for families to keep their money for what they decide they need or want. No new decorations needed for the festivities, and plenty of cards and wrapping paper in storage.

The plan is to have a no spend week, other than food shop on Thursday.

Have good weeks all

Bexster
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,966Posts Today

7,459Users online

Martin's Twitter