Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Not Buying It 2019/20 - consumer holiday!

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Not Buying It 2019/20 - consumer holiday!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
18 replies 4.8K views
asparklyblondeasparklyblonde Forumite
404 posts
100 Posts Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
Good afternoon fellow OSers :)

Many of you may recall that a few years ago we had a wonderful Not Buying It thread started by the lovely Slowdown. For various reasons I have recently searched out that thread and read it from start to finish.

I like to think I'm not much of a consumer, not easily sucked in by the ads, the convenience of superstores, the buzz of buying online.... but I am. And it has to stop. This was highlighted to me even more this weekend when we sorted and rearranged DDs room, bags and bags of stuff have been evicted to go to the charity shop, absolutely none of them were mindful purchases at all.

Mindless consuming stops NOW. DS went to a party this morning, normally we would dash to a toy store and pick up a gift, then dash into M&S next door for a card - not today. We have lots of never read children's books that are immaculate, so we wrapped three of those up (David Walliams), and DS made him a card.

I am also giving up my six weekly hair appointments, seriously I do not need them. Through YouTube I have learnt to trim my own fringe this morning :j

I want life to be simpler, less fraught with 'stuff' and I really think if I start to look after the pennies the pounds will follow. I have meal planned for the week and have no need to spend a penny at all.

If anyone cares to join me as we head into Autumn I would welcome the company :)

ASB xxx

Replies

• Happy_OneHappy_One Forumite
    89 posts
    Third Anniversary
    I would love to be the first to join you asparklyblonde but I don’t know if I will be of any use as I’m not much of a consumer! I’m a bit of an Aging Hippie but love my life style and never feel I’m missing out on anything at all.
    Never buy on line, haven’t been to the hairdressers in years, have long hair which I twist up into a clip, just get OH to trim it off for me every now and again when I wash it.
    All my clothes apart from underwear and most shoes come from charity shops, table top sales etc. Buy some amazing things for the Grandkids this way too
    Enjoy mostly home style hobbies, crafts, baking reading etc.
    Don’t want to come across as all virtuous as I know this lifestyle is not for everyone and I appreciate that but it suits me.
  • bargainhunterssbargainhunterss Forumite
    751 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon fellow OSers :)
    If anyone cares to join me as we head into Autumn I would welcome the company :)

ASB xxx

You’re on! :money: I’m normally quite good with keeping to Martin’s Money-saving Mantras (do i need it, can i afford it, is it available cheaper somewhere else), but I fear standards are slipping! We really need to watch the pennies at the moment as we’re planning on doing the bathroom and so trying to save for that. Not going well so far!

Hopefully planning for a more frugal and mindful (of spending) Autumn. :j
    Too many people spend money they earned..to buy things they don't want..to impress people that they don't like...:cool:
    "Every time you borrow money, you're robbing your future self."
    Every pound we spend is a vote for the sort of world we want
  • bexster1975bexster1975 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭
    Hello asparklyblonde

I would like to join in.

I was on the original thread occasionally. I already plan to reduce consumption - particularly related to C*****mas

Thank you for starting a new thread.

I hope Slowdown joins us

Bexster :)
  • cuddlymarmcuddlymarm Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi asparklyblonde
    I’d like to join too if that’s ok.
    I’m aiming to make to most of what I’ve already got and be mindful of new purchases.
    We are planning on some new furniture as we are having our flat refurbished. However nothing is going to waste, our unwanted furniture is going to our grown up kids who are just setting up their first bought homes.
    I already try to use as little as possible but it is easy to buy odd bits that you don’t really need and I do need to address this. A lot of the kids Xmas presents this year will be money rather than stuff they might not use.

Good luck
    Cuddles
    January NST 2/16
  • Elnora32Elnora32 Forumite
    172 posts
    Hello asparklyblonde, I'd like to join too. I'm not much of a spender and I already live a fairly simple life but there is always room for improvement.

Elnora
  • asparklyblondeasparklyblonde Forumite
    404 posts
    100 Posts Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    Thank you one and all for joining me.

Today has been fantastic - a No Spend Day :j I purposely left my purse at home so I couldn't spend even if I wanted to. I will repeat this tomorrow, we have all the food in the house that we need, packed lunches have been made for DH and the children (I get a free meal at work each day), and I have absolutely no need to buy anything at all.

Another plus, I found a long forgotten about item in DDs room yesterday which is surplus to requirements, which I promptly listed on eBay and netted £30, hurrah :T:T

Normally when I sell on eBay, I immediately fritter away the money on rubbish. Instead, I have used it to buy a Lego set which is DS's main Christmas present (we never buy the children lots for Christmas, this is one area where bizarrely consumerism is shunned by us, we prefer to spend time together at Christmas, not money. Plus our kids are small and therefore their 'wants' are minimal).

My weak points are:
    - nipping into the big A$da near work almost daily for bits and pieces
    - nipping to M&S for something small, like crumpets, and spending £30+ :rotfl:
    - getting my hair done (already said up thread these have been knocked on the head straight away)

What are other people's weak points? Any tips to stay strong when the impulse strikes?

ASB xx
  • cuddlymarmcuddlymarm Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    My weak points are doing a weekly shop when there is no need. Mind you very little goes to waste, fresh stuff is either frozen or made into soup. Anything nearing its date is always incorporated into meals, though sometimes OH wonders about the foods I put together.
    Yesterday I put my new resolution into action. I have to walk past a Costa getting to work and often succumb. I didn’t though so I’m £2.50 better off for it, it all adds up.
    Christmas is one of our major downfalls. Every year we say we won’t buy as much. Last year I mastered the food side. We’d eaten all the sweets, biscuits etc by New Year so this year I need to work on buying useful fun stuff rather than junk that will sit in a cupboard until it finds its way to the charity shop. We’re having Xmas dinner at our eldest son and his girlfriends new house this year so I won’t need all the meat and veggie stuff.
    Anyway enough about Xmas for now. I promised myself I wouldn’t start on Xmas this year until mid November when we are back in our flat after our renovations are done. I will be strong.
    Good luck guys
    Cuddles
    January NST 2/16
  • Elnora32Elnora32 Forumite
    172 posts
    [FONT=&quot]ASB – well done on the NSD. Years ago, I decided that I if I didn’t have any change, I wouldn’t break in to a note to buy a bar of chocolate or other non essential item. Over the years this must have saved me a fortune as money just disappears once it is ‘just’ change in your purse. :T to the ebay sale and spending the money on a Christmas present.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Cuddlymarm - £2.50 per week for the rest of the year would add up to a few £££. Your flat will be lovely when you get back in to it.
    [/FONT]
  • PipneyJanePipneyJane Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    Hello. Count me in, please, although I'm probably not your target market. I'm not a big shopper for "stuff"; I'd rather spend my money on experiences. However, having said that, my weaknesses are books and yarn. I have enough yarn in the spare room to open a shop!

As readers of the Fashion on the Ration thread will know, I'm now on a yarn diet until the end of 2020. I've gone "Cold Sheep".

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' " o:)

2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 29/66 coupons spent
  • Happy_OneHappy_One Forumite
    89 posts
    Third Anniversary
    Hi PipneyJane. Like you I’m a book and yarn gal. But these days I go through my stash before I buy any yarn, and all my books come from the charity shops. Last week I found a pile of the very expensive knitting magazines in a local charity shop, no price on them just a small donation asked for so I came home with a good few for some money in the collecting tin. It never bothers me that they are not brand new from the newsagents.