Options
Hi,

read here.

Comments

• GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Now you know why they've been charging so much, building up reserves for this.... they're always way down the search results for me..
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • Tottington
    Tottington Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 September 2019 at 1:56PM
    Options
    GunJack wrote: »
    Now you know why they've been charging so much, building up reserves for this.... they're always way down the search results for me..

I wouldn't say a company with £80m accumulated losses propping up their balance sheet has been building up reserves...

It's been 7 years since I worked in this industry, but it doesn't look like it's any easier to actually make any money. My guess is OVO are trying to build up a solid customer base and survive until they can offer some sort of technological differentiation (I understand they are ploughing money into smart technology). Whether they have enough cash to survive though..
  • SSE ran a very expensive fleet of vans and meter readers and paid the highest wages of any meter reading company too .No wonder they wanted rid of it.There is where a lot of profits gone on supplying their customers with a visit from an old fashioned and pricey meter readers No chance of Ovo following that model. It will be online readings only , possibly a visit once every 5 years to fulfil OFGEM regs
  • HampshireH
    Options
    When i read this this morning it was quite disappointing.

Have to deal with various suppliers through work and OVO are one of the worst I have experienced. On par with utilita for getting supplies changed over & rejecting supply takeovers. Such an expansion is going to mean many more battles over the phone.:(
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cue the Bulb and Octopus spammers - again!
  • Fyne
    Fyne Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    Waiting with baited breath to see how they deal with my SSE THTC tariff !!
  • Flt._Lt._Biggles
    Options
    HampshireH wrote: »
    When i read this this morning it was quite disappointing.

Have to deal with various suppliers through work and OVO are one of the worst I have experienced. On par with utilita for getting supplies changed over & rejecting supply takeovers. Such an expansion is going to mean many more battles over the phone.:(

I can only comment as a former domestic customer of Ovo, and would say I had no issues with their customer service, switching to them, nor switching from them.

I would gladly return to them, and indeed have no hesitation in recommending them to others, if the price was right.

That is the issue though; their price.

I must admit it's been many years since we were supplied by them, in fact shortly aftyer they launched. Where did those 10 years go?

But after a year of competitive pricing, they have not even reached our radar since :(

I think I can see why now - they were obviously building up a £400m war chest.
  • Flt._Lt._Biggles
    Options
    Fyne wrote: »

Hopefully, it won't be an issue.

As the legacy supplier (or the successor thereof), they have an ongoing obligation by Ofgem to continue to support customers on such tariffs.

It's like Eon as the successor to various legacy suppliers in other regions, similarly support similar types of complex metering in their legacy regions.

nPower do likewise in thier own legacy supply region. etc
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    Options
    Let's hope the merger will begin with some decent i.t. For sse.
    Only mentioned as I departed after 1 year of 'guessing' electric usage.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • GrumpyHector
    Options
    Fyne said:
    Email today:
    Heating cost increasing from 13.64p per kWh to 16.04p. Standard rate reducing from 20.68p per kWh to 19.90p.
    Overall, that's a very significant increase as most electricity used for heating.
    The current average UK price for standard electricity is 14.4p per kWh, so 16.04p for the 'reduced price' tariff is outrageous.
    2 years ago the heating rate was about 11p.
    Looks like OVO is wanting to shed THTC customers. It's not so easy to change as THTC customers, who have 2 meters, one being radio-controlled, need to pay for significant changes to the cabling, as OVO no doubt know.
    Don't have gas so stuck with storage heaters.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure