Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 31st Aug 19, 9:29 AM
    • 1,239Posts
    • 15,038Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    What do you cook in your airfryer?
    • 31st Aug 19, 9:29 AM
    What do you cook in your airfryer? 31st Aug 19 at 9:29 AM
    I bought an airfryer. It arrived yesterday and to be honrst it looks a bit scary. I am going to get a cookbook but in the meantime has anyone got any tried and tested recipes and tips?

Thanks
    Last edited by MSE Molly; 10-09-2019 at 10:33 AM.
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
Page 1
    • Farway
    • By Farway 31st Aug 19, 9:47 AM
    • 7,576 Posts
    • 14,908 Thanks
    Farway
    • 31st Aug 19, 9:47 AM
    • 31st Aug 19, 9:47 AM
    I have an Actifry, which may not be same as you have as it has a stirring paddle

Chips and sausages are my limit to date
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 31st Aug 19, 5:09 PM
    • 1,317 Posts
    • 26,026 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    • 31st Aug 19, 5:09 PM
    • 31st Aug 19, 5:09 PM
    Do you mean an Actifry, or a halogen oven type of thing?

I use an Actifry - brilliant for chips, sausages or chicken. I understand you can make risotto in it but I haven't tried yet.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 31st Aug 19, 5:23 PM
    • 546 Posts
    • 8,743 Thanks
    YorksLass
    • 31st Aug 19, 5:23 PM
    • 31st Aug 19, 5:23 PM
    I bought one earlier this year for two reasons:
    1) There are only the two of us and it saves putting the big oven on, so it saves on the leccy
    2) Trying not to eat too much fried stuff

I haven't used it much over the summer due to hot weather and holidays but I can see it will be pressed into use again soon as it seems to be cooling down as we approach autumn.

From memory, I've used it to cook frozen stuff (eg breaded fish fillets, fish fingers, scampi, chips, potato croquettes etc); jacket potatoes; to heat up ready-cooked things like pasties and part-baked mini baguettes; bacon and sausages; breaded mozzarella sticks and arancini.

Tips:
    • Any food that can be cooked in a conventional oven or a microwave can be cooked in an air fryer (yes, even desserts).
    • To give food a crispy texture, spray or rub cooking oil over the ingredients before placing them in the basket.
    • Smaller ingredients will generally take less time to cook than larger ones.
    • Shake contents halfway through the cooking time to ensure they cook evenly.
    • If you're not sure something is cooked or not, don't be afraid to pull out the pan to take a look. If it isn't, you can always put it back in for a bit longer. It's trial and error at first.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 31st Aug 19, 7:35 PM
    • 30,367 Posts
    • 63,751 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 31st Aug 19, 7:35 PM
    • 31st Aug 19, 7:35 PM
    I have heard differing opinions about these gadgets. Some love them; personally I don't find dry, hard oven chips even vaguely tempting so would rather have triple-fried twice a year (max) as a treat.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • happydays89
    • By happydays89 31st Aug 19, 8:02 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 2,073 Thanks
    happydays89
    • 31st Aug 19, 8:02 PM
    • 31st Aug 19, 8:02 PM
    I have a power air fryer,anything that we used to put in the oven we now put in the air fryer.

Bake in the oven rolls
    Ready meals that can’t be done in the micro (if it has a plastic tray I transfer it into a dish or metal one.
    Any meat
    Reheat pies and sausage rolls
    Oven chips
    Salmon
    The temperature and minutes are very controllable
    We rarely use the oven now.

There great if you live on your own,it saves a fortune on electric, no preheating the oven or the fan running for ages after you have turned the oven off.
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 31st Aug 19, 8:13 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 3,616 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    • 31st Aug 19, 8:13 PM
    • 31st Aug 19, 8:13 PM
    I have an Actifry with a paddle. Can I take the paddle out to do things mentioned above
    61/66 clothing coupons
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 31st Aug 19, 10:55 PM
    • 1,317 Posts
    • 26,026 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    • 31st Aug 19, 10:55 PM
    • 31st Aug 19, 10:55 PM
    Yes, you can use it without the paddle. I cook sausages or chicken with the paddle in but breaded fish is better without the paddle, just turn it over halfway through. I think happydays is possibly referring to a halogen oven?
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • happydays89
    • By happydays89 1st Sep 19, 5:19 AM
    • 269 Posts
    • 2,073 Thanks
    happydays89
    • 1st Sep 19, 5:19 AM
    • 1st Sep 19, 5:19 AM
    Yes, you can use it without the paddle. I cook sausages or chicken with the paddle in but breaded fish is better without the paddle, just turn it over halfway through. I think happydays is possibly referring to a halogen oven?
    Originally posted by PollyWollyDoodle
    Hi,itís an air fryer we have not a halagen.If you google high street tv you can watch a video of how it works,they are also a shopping channel on the tv.They have just started showing a new air fryer which looks amazing.

We are a very busy household with family in and out at different times.Its used about five to six times a day.
    Food tastes much nicer than microwaving,itís one gadget that hasnít been used a couple of times then sits in a cupboard for years.
    It has saved us a small fortune on electric and time.

I donít normally take out an extended warranty but as it was only £9.99 was three years coverI didnít think that was too bad.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 1st Sep 19, 7:13 AM
    • 1,317 Posts
    • 26,026 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Thanks happydays, I am still not sure if an Actifry and an air fryer are the same thing. The Actifry that I have only has one temperature, you canít vary it. Still very useful though and I might try some of the things youíve mentioned above.
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 1st Sep 19, 1:40 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 3,616 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    Thanks PWD. I will give it a try. Mine only has one temperature so limited use I expect but I still love it.
    61/66 clothing coupons
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 1st Sep 19, 2:22 PM
    • 1,239 Posts
    • 15,038 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Thanks all for your replies
    It is a halogen oven.

Gintot
    • savvy
    • By savvy 1st Sep 19, 3:12 PM
    • 30,198 Posts
    • 47,054 Thanks
    savvy
    Salt and pepper tofu
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 1st Sep 19, 3:44 PM
    • 1,239 Posts
    • 15,038 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Salt and pepper tofu sounds delicious. Any chance of posting the recipe?

Thanls

Gintot
    • JingsMyBucket
    • By JingsMyBucket 7th Sep 19, 8:11 AM
    • 419 Posts
    • 4,537 Thanks
    JingsMyBucket
    I’m also interested in this salt and pepper tofu recipe too please.
    MAY19 GC: $182.18/$450.00 // 10/12 NSD
    APR19 GC: $722.15/$500.00
    MAR 19 GC: $312.83/$300.00 // 12/12 NSD
    Save 12K in 2019 - $633.95/$12,000 #123 5.2% )
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 7th Sep 19, 11:32 AM
    • 30,367 Posts
    • 63,751 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Thanks all for your replies
    It is a halogen oven.

Gintot
    Originally posted by Gintotmelinda
    In that case you can cook in the usual way, or stick anything from the freezer in it. My Dad uses his at least 4 times a week, and I have not even used mine (purchased at least 7 years ago!) once

I did try to make scones in Dad's once and they did not turn out well. I suspect the error was mine and not the oven's. I'm sure there is a thread about halogen ovens somewhere on OS.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • Moneysavingmomma123
    • By Moneysavingmomma123 8th Sep 19, 11:12 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Moneysavingmomma123
    I love my airfryer
    So ive had two airfryers. I firstly had mh phillips airfryers which i had for a year and was used once or twice a day. We have a huge range iven and it was stupid putting it on to make one mini pizza so the airfryer saves on gas and its not too expensive on leccy.

I know switched to the power airfryer which is the same price...is easier to clean and comes with a few extra things to help you when cooking.

As said before anything that can be ovencooked can be cooked in the airfryer.

I have used it to make grilled chicked with fried chicken coating and mini chicken skewers too. I love experimenting.

Best of all its safe enough for my 10 year old to use so she can use it to make a quick snack for herself and her siblings when im not feeling great
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 9th Sep 19, 1:54 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 1,494 Thanks
    AndyCF
    Generally (not here in particular) there does seem to be a bit of confusion or misinformation with what is an "air fryer" or a "halogen" and I have seen people mix them up.

Disclaimer before I go further: I have neither and never have!

I'm excluding these 'treat/sandwich' type makers although they would be ideal for a few things too in some cases (things not intended to go into them!) , I want to discuss those later actually as I have a few thoughts to share.

Air fryer is just that, no light it is more or less a hot air heater I suppose, no visible heating elements. Can make a bit of noise.

Halogen are the ones that light up usually very bright!

I think both have advantages and disadvantages.

Some of the air fryers just have a basket and some have a paddle, one well known one at least. Now I wanted to mention something I learned a year or so ago about this 'brand' and its positive:

Apparently you are not meant to use it without the paddle, but there are obviously a couple of sizes of the machine. There is or was at one point a snacking type one that had a grid instead from what I understand, this might not of been sold in the UK.

Now the interesting thing here is some enterprising people discovered that the 'grid' was available as a spare part (expected!) and would actually fit one or more of the UK models, so you could remove the paddle and use it that way with the 'grid' instead even though as far as I am aware at least this was not a "supported" option as it was not intended for those models.

I think the manufacturer now may offer a grid or something for these having realised there might be a demand ? But I've not checked on it...

I do note the cheaper models that are in the usual places, I say cheaper as in 20-40 rather than 80-150 ( !) but the former is a lot for me anyway, some models certainly one manufacturer and model did not sell said model on their own site, and it took ages to find a manual for it, merely out of curiosity. Not saying there is anything amiss with that, it was almost as if the 'model' was made for said 'usual places' somehow. It was one of the types with a pull out drawer, although there are a lot of those about now of various brands I know.
    Last edited by AndyCF; 09-09-2019 at 1:57 PM.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 9th Sep 19, 4:17 PM
    • 30,367 Posts
    • 63,751 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Thanks for the advice above AndyCF, I didn't realise that the two are the same thing. Talk about being sucked in by the marketing!
    I know switched to the power airfryer which is the same price...is easier to clean and comes with a few extra things to help you when cooking.
    Originally posted by Moneysavingmomma123
    Presumably the energy consumption is higher than the first one you bought?

• AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 9th Sep 19, 4:46 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 1,494 Thanks
    AndyCF
    Thanks for the advice above AndyCF, I didn't realise that the two are the same thing. Talk about being sucked in by the marketing!Presumably the energy consumption is higher than the first one you bought?
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Hope it does help. As I say I do not own or have owned either.

But I *have* seen (not here, generally) some say they have an air fryer and when you actually see it, it is a halogen 'thing' , the last one I saw was the one you see advertised or did see quite a bit on early morning 'teleshop' type tv, with the hinged lid with the bulb in, it looks a bit like a giant wide diameter glass tube.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

37Posts Today

2,476Users online

Martin's Twitter