Cancelled flight compensation

Options
I am due to fly to Hong Kong from the UK next week with Air China via Beijing. I was advised a couple of days ago that my connecting flight from Beijing to Hong Kong has been cancelled and after some effort (I had originally been re-booked onto a flight that departed Beijing before my flight from the UK landed there!) I have been re-booked onto a later flight that lands 5 hours after the flight that I had originally been booked onto. I am trying to find out if I am entitled to compensation - my journey does originate in the UK but the flight that will result in the delay originates in Beijing, outside of the EU. Can anyone offer any advice, please?

Comments

• isplumm
    isplumm Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kazzaB wrote: »
    I am due to fly to Hong Kong from the UK next week with Air China via Beijing. I was advised a couple of days ago that my connecting flight from Beijing to Hong Kong has been cancelled and after some effort (I had originally been re-booked onto a flight that departed Beijing before my flight from the UK landed there!) I have been re-booked onto a later flight that lands 5 hours after the flight that I had originally been booked onto. I am trying to find out if I am entitled to compensation - my journey does originate in the UK but the flight that will result in the delay originates in Beijing, outside of the EU. Can anyone offer any advice, please?

Hi

I don't think you are entitled as your flight starts in Beijing - but there is a forum post just above this one that explains more.

Look at https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4896454

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • plug25
    plug25 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I don’t think you will be entitled to any compensation
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    By way of contrast, I think kazzaB would be entitled to compensation, assuming her new connecting flight doesn't land very early;).

Her new flight lands 5 hours after the one she was originally booked on. The originating flight meets the definition of 'EU flight', because it departed from an (at least for the moment) EU airport. I would definitely claim under those circumstances

@kazzaB

You'll probably have travelled by now, but hopefully you'll read this.

As a regular visitor to HK (next trip mid November) I hope you enjoy it. Keep safe:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure