Marcus account lockout

Options
Just wondered if anyone else has had this,

Yesterday received a email saying my account had been locked and to call customer services which i did,

Went through security as normal,

Apparently royal mail had delivered a letter to the wrong address which was returned to them, ( ironically the letter apparently said something along the lines of remember to log in regularly etc) - which i now cant do,

Due to this returned letter my account is locked whilst they "investigate" - assuming there not going to call royal mail and ask how they delivered a piece of mail to the wrong address,

Believed the story till i found out the same thing had happened to someone else a week ago and they still do not have access,

worryingly this is where mine and my wife's saving deposit for a house is, and yesterday we had an offer accepted,
so is there a legal time frame they can lock out for investigation ( nothings moved in/out of that account for 3/4 months) whilst we have been house hunting,
im aware if they think fraud they cant tell you etc, but i am wondering if there is a time frame for this sort of thing,

Comments

• Terry_Towelling
    Options
    Exactly what is it they want to investigate? What did you ask them? Why does a similar event involving someone else mean you no longer believe what Marcus is telling you - whatever that is?
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    asus1987 wrote: »
    Yesterday received a email saying my account had been locked and to call customer services which i did
    Are you sure that email was from Marcus? Emails are easily spoofed.
    Went through security as normal
    Did you call the number in the email? If so you may have given your security info to a scammer.
    Apparently royal mail had delivered a letter to the wrong address which was returned to them....
    ...Due to this returned letter my account is locked.

I found out the same thing had happened to someone else a week ago and they still do not have access.
    How did you find out about someone else?

I'd suggest you ring Marcus on a known genuine number and make sure your money is still there.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,665 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes it could be a spoof email in which case contact them urgently on a genuine number as you might now want them to lock your account to safeguard the money if it's not too late already.

In cases where they are not allowed to tell you the reason your account has been locked they do not makeup fake stories about letters asking you to login more often.

Alex
  • asus1987
    asus1987 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    apparently they want to investigate how it happened? hence my question of well i doubt the royal mail will be able to tell you anything,

came across another forum post saying the exact same thing,

correct Marcus telephone number 0800 085 6789

i fail to see the reason for the lockout beyond 24 hours,

we're trying to get in touch with you about your Marcus account.

Please could you give us a call as soon as it's convenient on 0800 085 6789, or +44 203 901 3353 if you need to call us from outside the UK. We're open from Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm (excluding bank holidays)
  • iglad
    iglad Posts: 222 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 August 2019 at 1:18AM
    Options
    Not me as I got my letter from them afew weeks ago regarding keeping umpire account secure etc. I found it very strange as I've never had any written correspondence from them before. I checked that letter out with a microscope as the quality of the paper looked a bit suspect however it all checked out and buy money is still in my account.

No problem here.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Why would someone who received a letter, clearly addressed to someone else at a different address, return it to the sender:cool:

We occasionally get such letters and either drop them in the nearest post box or hand them to postie for delivery to the correct address.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure