Baby passport grandparent birth certificates

Options
Hi,

We're in the process of applying for a newborn baby passport. I'm applying online and the page before paying indicates I have to send off all maternal and paternal grandparent (ie. our parents, childs grandparents) birth certificates and marriage certificates.

This seems odd given my own parents are not from the UK and it is going to be a trouble to source these documents. My wife's parents documents are fine.

Is this normal? Does anyone have any advice?

Comments

• smudge56
    smudge56 Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    mwpt wrote: »
    Hi,

We're in the process of applying for a newborn baby passport. I'm applying online and the page before paying indicates I have to send off all maternal and paternal grandparent (ie. our parents, childs grandparents) birth certificates and marriage certificates.

This seems odd given my own parents are not from the UK and it is going to be a trouble to source these documents. My wife's parents documents are fine.

Is this normal? Does anyone have any advice?

You only need your wife’s passport number at section 4, which will establish her British status at the time your child was born. The only document you will have to send is the child’s full birth certificate showing the parents names on it
  • Mrsn
    Mrsn Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I remember having to send in details of marriage etc for both of our first passports for the children but I could all be done via the form.

I would imagine in this case because your wife’s parents aren’t British Citizens if I’m reading that correctly this is why... in which case yes it probably will be the case
  • koalakoala
    koalakoala Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You have to give them what they ask for. I guess being non-British is why
  • smudge56
    Options
    Mrsn wrote: »
    I remember having to send in details of marriage etc for both of our first passports for the children but I could all be done via the form.

I would imagine in this case because your wife’s parents aren’t British Citizens if I’m reading that correctly this is why... in which case yes it probably will be the case
    The OP stated that his parents weren’t from the UK. If his wife has a British passport the baby will get nationality through her
  • mwpt
    mwpt Posts: 2,502 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, to confirm, my wife is British. She was born here from a British born father. There is no question of eligibility and other people we've spoken to with the same situation only had to send the child's birth certificate.

So we're going to send only that, hoping that there is a mistake on the doc request.
  • smudge56
    Options
    Since your wife is British all you need to supply is the childs birth certificate and your wife’s passport number
  • mwpt
    mwpt Posts: 2,502 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just to conclude this so it may help someone else. Our online application most definitely indicated we had to send originals of all the extra required documents as I stated in my first post. But on asking here and a few friends, then telephoning the passport office, we had verbal confirmation to ignore the online requirement and just send the birth certificate.

We did that and it was all fine.
  • Noxy_d
    Options
    Just to say thanks a lot for giving us the update, very helpful, I am in exactly the same situation applying for my son and found it odd that they where asking for grandparents details,
    So thanks for the update,
  • jwla
    jwla Posts: 1 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks so much @mwpt for this chat. I am trying to figure it all out now for my baby born here in USA - I am english (green card only)  but my husband is naturalized american and his parents are from totally different countries with no birth certificates or any idea how to get them! @noxy_d, did you get everything ok? As it still says that I need both maternal and paternal certificates. I can get my own mum's but have no contact with my dad since I was born. What a strain this all is!!! 
  • Noxy_d
    Noxy_d Posts: 2 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jwla said:
    Thanks so much @mwpt for this chat. I am trying to figure it all out now for my baby born here in USA - I am english (green card only)  but my husband is naturalized american and his parents are from totally different countries with no birth certificates or any idea how to get them! @noxy_d, did you get everything ok? As it still says that I need both maternal and paternal certificates. I can get my own mum's but have no contact with my dad since I was born. What a strain this all is!!! 
    @jwla everything went well, ignore them certificates requirement. Just send you and your partner documents and that's fine. Let us know how you get on 👍🏾
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback