Traders Insurance Cancellation

Options
Not sure if this is correct forum but really need some help.

On Friday 02/08/19 I took out motors trade insurance. I used a company called Peacock Insurance Services. I paid my £300 deposit and was told thats it set up.

I then received a letter today 06/08/19 dated 05/08/19 from a company called Policy Plan saying my insurance was cancelled with no explanation.

I immediately called Peacock Insurance and they said Policy Plan have wrote to them saying I got a question wrong in my application so have cancelled due to misrepresentation. When I asked for my money back they have told me Policy Plan are refusing to give me any of my £300 back.

I am furious. Not once was I emailed or posted any terms and conditions from either company telling me of any cancellation fees. This surely cannot be legal.

The question I got wrong was they asked me if I used to be a director of a company. As it was over 5 years ago I said no. Its not even a major thing and cant understand why this would even prompt cancellation.

I have wrote to Peacock and Policy Plan. Only Peacock have replied today saying they need to wait and see what Policy Plan says even though I only dealt with Peacock. They have said it can take up to 8 weeks for a reply. I cant wait that long for my money back.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It may not take the full 8 weeks but thats the amount of time they have to sort it before you can take it further.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• camereye
    camereye Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I appreciate that but they have told me they are not returning any of the deposit. Surely as a consumer if a policy is cancelled by any means within 14 days there is a legal requirement to refund the money?
  • paddyandstumpy
    paddyandstumpy Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    camereye wrote: »
    I appreciate that but they have told me they are not returning any of the deposit. Surely as a consumer if a policy is cancelled by any means within 14 days there is a legal requirement to refund the money?

But you're not a consumer. You've purchased a commercial motor trade policy...

And regardless, there is no law stating if a policy is cancelled within 14 days a full refund is given.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure