Sabre Car Insurance, I have no idea about this or who 2 speak to!!

Options
donna1301
donna1301 Posts: 21 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
edited 15 August 2019 at 5:15PM in Motoring
Thank you X

Comments

• rudekid48
    rudekid48 Posts: 2,382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    donna1301 wrote: »
    Hi, In 2015 I insured my van & put my husband on as a named driver (I'd been unwell this year & sometimes needed him to take over driving). A couple of days after I sold the van in 2016 it was involved in an accident (A male was involved in a hit & run), my husband (the named driver) was accused of this even though I didn't have the van anymore. Heard no more until a court judgement arrived in my husbands name in April this year from Sabre insurance asking him for £10,912.80 due to the 3rd party obtaining judgement against you. I contacted Sabre to ask what had gone on but was told they would not speak to me as it wasn't in my name so my husband rang them again asking what happened but was told it had been passed to their solicitor & then last month Sabre sent judgement papers again this time one in my name & one in my husbands. I'm at a loss of who I should contact and as me & my husband are no longer together if he ignores this am I liable to pay it because it was my insurance. Any advice on what I should do??

Did you cancel the insurance immediately after selling the van and also notify DVLA?

Your post really isn't very clear, but guessing that you didn't do either of those things, the van was then involved in an accident and was therefore still registered to you and still insured in your name? This would mean that Sabre were on the hook for the cost of the claim as they were legally obliged to deal with the claim. They are now looking to recover their outlay from you as you failed to notify anyone that the van had been sold?

Is that what has happened?

Do you have any proof that you sold the van prior to the accident and/or details of who you sold it to? Could your husband prove his whereabouts at the time of the 'hit & run'?

There's more to this than you are saying as Sabre would have been in contact with one or both of you much earlier in the process to establish exactly what had happened - especially with a £10k claim against them.
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    rudekid48 wrote: »
    Did you cancel the insurance immediately after selling the van and also notify DVLA?

Your post really isn't very clear, but guessing that you didn't do either of those things, the van was then involved in an accident and was therefore still registered to you and still insured in your name? This would mean that Sabre were on the hook for the cost of the claim as they were legally obliged to deal with the claim. They are now looking to recover their outlay from you as you failed to notify anyone that the van had been sold?

Is that what has happened?

Do you have any proof that you sold the van prior to the accident and/or details of who you sold it to? Could your husband prove his whereabouts at the time of the 'hit & run'?

There's more to this than you are saying as Sabre would have been in contact with one or both of you much earlier in the process to establish exactly what had happened - especially with a £10k claim against them.

Well said!
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,377 Forumite
    Options
    Something still seems wrong to me - if you had cancelled the insurance, then why were Sabre even involved in the case? The moment the insurance was cancelled, it should not have been their problem.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • donna1301
    Options
    Yes there is definitely something wrong I agree,, as far as I'm aware my insurance company never was involved, Sabre is the insurance of the person that was hit. So if they've took my husband to court as an uninsured driver why am I involved at all?? and why have got the judgement against me. I'm trying to explain things the best I can, I'm struggling to understand any of it..
  • DUTR
    Options
    donna1301 wrote: »
    Yes there is definitely something wrong I agree,, as far as I'm aware my insurance company never was involved, Sabre is the insurance of the person that was hit. So if they've took my husband to court as an uninsured driver why am I involved at all?? and why have got the judgement against me. I'm trying to explain things the best I can, I'm struggling to understand any of it..

You are asking the wrong people the questions, perhaps a vehicle of which you were the main policyholder and or registered keeper was involved in an incident, after trying to contact the policyholder /registered keeper the case esculated until there was a CCJ issued against the named driver.

The case that it was sold and to whom not known is still going to be your problem, the other occurances after the incident do seem somewhat convenient.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Not sure if insurance companies still use Article 75 as a reason for settling the claim; it's a few years since I've quoted it to clients.

If so, it's possible sabre settled the TP claim under A75, as there was sufficient information to point towards the vehicle, policyholder and / named driver.

In turn they have instructed their own panel solicitors to issue court proceedings against your husband to recover the money. As he hasn't settled it they have now gone for you.

In the t&C's of the policy there will be a clause saying they hold the right to recover any monies paid out in relation to that policy against you.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • donna1301
    edited 3 August 2019 at 5:40PM
    Options
    Thank you, I'll take a look at that. The 1st claim that came states my husband as the 1st defendant & Motor insurers bureau as 2nd defendant. It's all above me this, I have an appointment to speak to a solicitor on Wednesday.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,377 Forumite
    Options
    I think I have caught up now.

It sounds like what you really need to do is to show that you weren't the owner or registered keeper of the van at the time of the accident, in which case, it's nothing to do with you.

When you send the V5 to the DVLA, they should send back a letter acknowledging that you're no longer the keeper. If you didn't get that, then the V5 may have been lost somewhere, and you could still be the registered keeper.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • donna1301
    edited 4 August 2019 at 12:47AM
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to reply, I probably could of tried to explain it a bit better but I'm only just starting to get my round it myself..
    Just having a quick read through the 1st claim form that came which has all sorts of paper work attached to it about the claim,, there are 2 invoices for spec reports from Exam works investigation services, one of them has the vehicle owner as the man I sold the van to (It has his name & address on this also), the 2nd one has the motorist as my husband,, every time I look through these papers it confuses me more. I'll look for the letter of acknowledgement off DVLA & see what the solicitor makes of it.. Thanks again
  • DUTR
    Options
    Ectophile wrote: »
    I think I have caught up now.

It sounds like what you really need to do is to show that you weren't the owner or registered keeper of the van at the time of the accident, in which case, it's nothing to do with you.

When you send the V5 to the DVLA, they should send back a letter acknowledging that you're no longer the keeper. If you didn't get that, then the V5 may have been lost somewhere, and you could still be the registered keeper.

Also.... the VED refund near the time , a large deposit to a bank account, an advertisement invoice are all paper trails to the selling of the car.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure