Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Anoneemoose
    • By Anoneemoose 30th Jul 19, 1:36 PM
    • 2,039Posts
    • 2,459Thanks
    Anoneemoose
    Washing Underwear
    • 30th Jul 19, 1:36 PM
    Washing Underwear 30th Jul 19 at 1:36 PM
    Good afternoon!

I’ve recently changed my method of doing laundry. In that I now wash it person by person, with the exception of towels, whites and bedding. It’s made a HUGE difference for me.

The only thing is, I used to put underwear in altogether on a 60 degree wash. Now I put one person’s in at a time, there’s a mix of clothes and underwear but I don’t like to put them on at 60. Is it ok to wash underwear at 40? Bearing in mind said underwear is not soiled or anything..just normal use for adults and older kids.

Thank you.
    CC1 - 1/1/18 £8115.92 £8037.77
    CC2 -1/1/18 £758.43
    Parent Loan 1/1/18 £1500

Total £10,374.35 £10293.20
Page 1
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 30th Jul 19, 2:29 PM
    • 6,230 Posts
    • 36,173 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • 30th Jul 19, 2:29 PM
    • 30th Jul 19, 2:29 PM
    I always wash my white Y fronts with bio powder at 90. Socks at 60. 40 or thirty does not kill the bacteria on my soiled socks!

I have enough underwear for a fortnightly wash.
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 30th Jul 19, 2:41 PM
    • 1,252 Posts
    • 9,287 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    • 30th Jul 19, 2:41 PM
    • 30th Jul 19, 2:41 PM
    I wash virtually everything in cold water, including underwear, and have never had any issues.

It's a fallacy that soapy hot water will kill bugs. It will kill some, but unless you raise the temperature to 122C and steam at 15PSI for 15 minutes, not everything will die. (Those are the parameters for a hospital standard steam-pressure steriliser, aka an autoclave.)

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
    • Anoneemoose
    • By Anoneemoose 30th Jul 19, 2:48 PM
    • 2,039 Posts
    • 2,459 Thanks
    Anoneemoose
    • 30th Jul 19, 2:48 PM
    • 30th Jul 19, 2:48 PM
    I wash virtually everything in cold water, including underwear, and have never had any issues.

It's a fallacy that soapy hot water will kill bugs. It will kill some, but unless you raise the temperature to 122C and steam at 15PSI for 15 minutes, not everything will die. (Those are the parameters for a hospital standard steam-pressure steriliser, aka an autoclave.)

- Pip
    Originally posted by PipneyJane
    Thank you. Iíve just put a load in at 40 (darenít go lower yet ). I used to tumble dry it but Iím finding it easier just to hang it up now.
    CC2 -1/1/18 £758.43
    Parent Loan 1/1/18 £1500

• maman
    • By maman 30th Jul 19, 3:09 PM
    • 20,219 Posts
    • 120,513 Thanks
    maman
    • 30th Jul 19, 3:09 PM
    • 30th Jul 19, 3:09 PM
    A lot will depend on the fabric the underwear is made from. A mixed wash on a low temperature will be fine for almost anything but a hot wash for delicates isn't a good idea at all.

I wash DH's white cotton in with the towels and bedding. I wouldn't dream of putting my bras in with that.

I'd be interested to know how you've arrived at the per person method. What about different colours and fabrics? How does it work?
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 30th Jul 19, 3:20 PM
    • 4,307 Posts
    • 9,435 Thanks
    Linda32
    • 30th Jul 19, 3:20 PM
    • 30th Jul 19, 3:20 PM
    I wash everything at 40. Or 90 for oily overalls.
    • Anoneemoose
    • By Anoneemoose 30th Jul 19, 3:21 PM
    • 2,039 Posts
    • 2,459 Thanks
    Anoneemoose
    • 30th Jul 19, 3:21 PM
    A lot will depend on the fabric the underwear is made from. A mixed wash on a low temperature will be fine for almost anything but a hot wash for delicates isn't a good idea at all.

I wash DH's white cotton in with the towels and bedding. I wouldn't dream of putting my bras in with that.

I'd be interested to know how you've arrived at the per person method. What about different colours and fabrics? How does it work?
    Originally posted by maman
    I use a colour catcher (Dr Beckmann do a reusable one that I use as a cleaning cloth after it’s finished its colour catching life). As I say, any whites are done separately but also with the colour catcher for those items that are mixed white with another colour.

Someone suggested the method on a FB group and it’s made things so much easier for me. No more sorting big piles. I have a small basket on the landing that gets decanted into the Ikea Sortera stackable boxes in the utility (one per person and one for whites - towels and bedding go straight in). Then roughly once a week I do each person’s load. Usually on separate days unless it’s really hot and I can get more than one load dry!

I also find it easier to iron as I just do the things that need it and it takes roughly 10 mins each load.

As for undies..bras I hand wash when new and then do on their own in a wash bag when they’re a bit older. Pants aren’t delicate anymore . Usually cotton or M&S modal ones!
    Last edited by Anoneemoose; 30-07-2019 at 5:58 PM.
    CC2 -1/1/18 £758.43
    Parent Loan 1/1/18 £1500

• kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 30th Jul 19, 3:21 PM
    • 10,813 Posts
    • 129,752 Thanks
    kazwookie
    I just open the door of the machine, shuve in the whites first load, then coloured stuff 2nd load, all at 40, one scoop of power, dry on line, unless chucking it down with rain, then tumbler, or wait till rain stops.
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on! - 12 and counting
    I can do this, I will do this...
    • maman
    • By maman 30th Jul 19, 4:50 PM
    • 20,219 Posts
    • 120,513 Thanks
    maman
    • 30th Jul 19, 4:50 PM
    • 30th Jul 19, 4:50 PM
    I use a colour catcher (Dr Beckmann do a reusable one that I use as a cleaning cloth after itís finished its cycle). As I say, any whites are done separately, also with the colour catcher for those items that are mixed white with another colour.

Someone suggested the method on a FB group and itís made things so much easier for me. No more sorting big piles. I have a small basket on the landing that gets decanted into the Ikea Sortera stackable boxes (one per person and one for whites, towels and bedding go straight in). Then roughly once a week I do each personís load. Usually on separate days unless itís really hot and I can get more than one done!

I also find it easier to iron as I just do the things that need it and it takes roughly 10 mins each load.

As for undies..bras I hand wash when new and then do on their own in a wash bag when theyíre a bit older. Pants arenít delicate anymore . Usually cotton or M&S modal ones!
    Originally posted by Anoneemoose
    That's interesting. A friend brought colour catchers to use in her holiday apartment as she knew she wouldn't have a full load of any one colour. Glad to know it works.
    • oystercatcher
    • By oystercatcher 30th Jul 19, 5:48 PM
    • 1,919 Posts
    • 4,891 Thanks
    oystercatcher
    I wash most things together on 40 deg , jeans and similar and 'special whites' (as in stuff I don't want to go a bit grey! ) are done separately. Underwear, T shirts sox etc all in together . Sometimes I chuck in a small amount of Napisan to kill off bugs or help with stains.I believe it cleans the machine too.

Bedding and towels are washed separately on 60 deg.

I would only do a 90 degree wash on nappies or similarly yucky laundry.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 31st Jul 19, 9:07 AM
    • 10,364 Posts
    • 14,276 Thanks
    -taff
    I do everything at 40 except heavily soiled whites or towels which go in at 50 or 60 depending. On a quick wash and high spin.
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 31st Jul 19, 9:12 AM
    • 5,196 Posts
    • 11,796 Thanks
    Money maker
    Most labels on undies suggest 40 deg washes, 60 would ruin them.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 31st Jul 19, 9:14 AM
    • 2,459 Posts
    • 2,124 Thanks
    Carrot007
    I always wash my white Y fronts with bio powder at 90. Socks at 60. 40 or thirty does not kill the bacteria on my soiled socks!

I have enough underwear for a fortnightly wash.
    Originally posted by Blackbeard of Perranporth

Bio should only be used at a maximum of 40. After that the heat just kills the bio and does a bad job when non-bio would do better.

The entire purpose of the bio cleaners it to use a lower temperature and many would say even 40 is too hot.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 31st Jul 19, 11:42 AM
    • 16,853 Posts
    • 144,271 Thanks
    JackieO
    I never use Bio stuff as I have very delicate skin and have to be careful what I use I use Aldi's non bio liquid wash and only half the measure and slop a good dose of ordinary washing soda in as well and for conditioner I use white vinegar and my washing is perfect and I have no complaints ,but then I only have to wash for myself now and my clothes don't get that mucky a 30 minute was three times a week usually suffices with a seperate no 3 wash for bedding ,towels ect
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 7th Aug 19, 7:30 PM
    • 6,918 Posts
    • 45,247 Thanks
    Pooky
    Everything gets washed at 30 here, mixed loads, undies, clothes, tea towels etc, never had a problem. I don't have enough whites for a separate wash so bung them in with bedding that I know won't run but aside from that, anything goes. Everything is line dried.

My latest washing machine only goes up to 60 and that programme is nearly 4 hours long so, no, not going there.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • Susan1962
    • By Susan1962 7th Aug 19, 8:12 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 4,405 Thanks
    Susan1962
    I remember buying Aldi's reusable cloths about 18 years ago, before disposable ons became the norm. They're far superio and, if you're organised enough (not my strong point!) can be used for several washes: lights once or twice, pinks/reds then darks.

Thank you so much for mentioning the Dr Beckmann ones as I have never been able to take to the disposable ones. Also using a few times fo light stuff the. Keeping them as dusters sounds great!
    Last edited by Susan1962; 07-08-2019 at 8:12 PM. Reason: For typos
    Looking ahead
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 12th Aug 19, 6:08 PM
    • 3,416 Posts
    • 20,818 Thanks
    purpleivy
    I use the 20C ecofriendly programme with bio liquid, which reckons it is designed for 15C+ laundry. The wash programme is over 3 hours, but the machine isn't actually going all that time, presume it has turning periods and soaking periods. I have no problems with it. Our clothes don't smell, noone has caught anything and it's gentle on clothes.

I use the same programme for white shirts, which get a slower spin speed. I got out tomato sauce off hubs shirt last week and turmeric a couple of weeks ago. I pretreat with a vanish spray or similar.

My daughter says that if I had a super power, it would be stain removal!
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • Bellisima
    • By Bellisima 14th Aug 19, 9:02 AM
    • 128 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    Bellisima
    I do everything at 30 now. I separate the whites from the coloureds and use whitener with the whites as well as usual Surf powder. All come up a treat. I haven’t died from the surviving germs yet.
    • claire1a
    • By claire1a 14th Aug 19, 10:46 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 501 Thanks
    claire1a
    I’ve got quite a few allergies so pants, socks, towels and bedding all get done at 60 with non bio and antibacterial laundry liquid. and I bung all other washing at 40 with bold. Sometimes the former will get bunged in with my 40 wash if there isn’t enough to fill the machine. I do t really have delicate underwear and I’m lazy with bras so they get put in the 40 wash
    No longer Debt free
    EF - £525.27/£1000 New York £0/£1500
    SCC- £3000 SL overpayment £2500 M+D - £4000
    • Malcolm_E
    • By Malcolm_E 14th Aug 19, 1:34 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Malcolm_E
    Correct temperature for bological washing liquids/powders
    There's no point using bio at 90 degrees. The high temperature will denature ('kill') the enzymes that make the washing liquid/powder biological. As a rough guide, most enzymes work best at around body temperature (37 degrees) though, obviously, the enzymes used in biological washing liquids/powders aren't human enzymes and some may survive higher temperatures. A key reason for biological liquids/powders is that they work better at lower temperatures though 40 degrees is probably still fine.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,858Posts Today

6,027Users online

Martin's Twitter