Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ouraggie
    • By ouraggie 23rd Jul 19, 12:26 AM
    • 111Posts
    • 286Thanks
    ouraggie
    "Repurposing" things - what have YOU done? Or what do you have that needs a purpose?
    • 23rd Jul 19, 12:26 AM
    "Repurposing" things - what have YOU done? Or what do you have that needs a purpose? 23rd Jul 19 at 12:26 AM
    In the spirit of reducing landfill, examining clutter and also being OS and saving outlay I am thinking it might be interesting to share our ideas about ingenious re-uses of things that were lying around the house, things no longer needed for their original purpose or things that originally entered the house as packaging. Also, I guess we all have things we can't think of a use for.

My re-purposed items
    1. Recently made myself a nice set of jars to hold paper clips, staples etc in my office by removing the labels from 6 empty English Provender chutney jars. (These were much admired by my niece as they have rose-gold lids which is apparently most fashionable).
    2. Re-purposed a surplus pack of elastic hair ties. I move these from my right wrist to my my left wrist when swimming, so I can remember how many lengths I've done.
    3.re-purposed a flowery canvas shopping bag to store all the gardening gloves, secateurs etc in one place. This now hangs by the back door.

Ideas needed: I have a collection of 9 small 50ml plastic pots in a nice shade of pink. These held some Garnier moisturizer from Poundland. Absolutely no idea what to use them for, but far too good to chuck away. Any suggestions?
Page 1
    • happydays89
    • By happydays89 23rd Jul 19, 7:22 AM
    • 291 Posts
    • 2,169 Thanks
    happydays89
    • 23rd Jul 19, 7:22 AM
    • 23rd Jul 19, 7:22 AM
    The motor burnt out on our dyson,we used the hose on our pond filter because it needed a longer hose and spare bits I sold on eBay.

I find some of the clips on YouTube great for ideas,I watched a clip about cleaning burnt bits off your iron with a paracetamol tablet ( tried it,it works)that led to lots of videos to watch.
    • C J
    • By C J 23rd Jul 19, 8:58 AM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 7,862 Thanks
    C J
    • 23rd Jul 19, 8:58 AM
    • 23rd Jul 19, 8:58 AM
    Ideas needed: I have a collection of 9 small 50ml plastic pots in a nice shade of pink. These held some Garnier moisturizer from Poundland. Absolutely no idea what to use them for, but far too good to chuck away. Any suggestions?
    Originally posted by ouraggie
    Since you’re a gardener, how about using the empty pots for storing seeds in? I’ve started using empty plastic vitamin bottles for this - I peel the labels off and use a Sharpie marker to label them with the variety of seed and any sowing instructions. Keeps the seed dry, and they’re quite compact so easy to store.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 23rd Jul 19, 9:22 AM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 29,469 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 23rd Jul 19, 9:22 AM
    • 23rd Jul 19, 9:22 AM
    Our age, do you sew? I keep that type of pot to store different colours of small buttons.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Nonnadiluca
    • By Nonnadiluca 23rd Jul 19, 10:39 AM
    • 257 Posts
    • 2,488 Thanks
    Nonnadiluca
    • 23rd Jul 19, 10:39 AM
    • 23rd Jul 19, 10:39 AM
    A couple of very tall hollyhocks were battered down by the recent rain: OH had the genius idea of using the stems as support canes for some phlox that were falling over. It's brilliant, they're strong enough to do the job well and blend in. I was well impressed!
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 23rd Jul 19, 1:16 PM
    • 1,438 Posts
    • 10,453 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    • 23rd Jul 19, 1:16 PM
    • 23rd Jul 19, 1:16 PM
    I've recycled pump-action hand-soap bottles for use with body wash, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and washing-up liquid.

We buy our washing-up liquid in 4.5L bottles*, so it has to be decanted into something before it's usable and a hand-soap bottle is ideal. Each refill of the bottle is mixed with vinegar to combat our notoriously hard water - 1/3 vinegar to 2/3 washing-up liquid. (If I don't do that, all the glasses go milky.) Three squirts does a sink-full of dishes.

- Pip

* Each bottle lasts over 2 years.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
    • mrsjanebanbury2009
    • By mrsjanebanbury2009 23rd Jul 19, 2:48 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    mrsjanebanbury2009
    • 23rd Jul 19, 2:48 PM
    Compost bin
    • 23rd Jul 19, 2:48 PM
    I repurposed an old pallet that a neigbour was throwing out into a compost bin for the garden; I've wanted one for ages but hated the idea of buying a new plastic one :-) Works great and looks properly hippie, I'm very pleased with it
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 23rd Jul 19, 4:29 PM
    • 564 Posts
    • 8,983 Thanks
    YorksLass
    • 23rd Jul 19, 4:29 PM
    • 23rd Jul 19, 4:29 PM
    Brilliant idea for a thread, ouraggie. Here's a few of mine.

I use a redundant earthenware treacle-glaze biscuit barrel (no lid, it broke) as a holder for my knitting yarn to stop it rolling all over the floor. It's quite large so easily holds the bigger 100g balls of wool.

I buy my yarn online and it comes packed in plain white organza drawstring bags. Some I use as laundry bags and the others have been cut up and re-sewn into smaller bags to hold loose F&V when I go shopping.

A tall round plain glass vase has been re-purposed as a kitchen utensil holder that stands on my kitchen worktop. Much too large for flowers but ideal in its new role.

We recently bought a new suitcase on wheels so the old one (not on wheels) now stores my fabric stash and it fits neatly under the bed in the spare room.

LIke AoD, I use small glass herb and spice jars as storage containers for buttons.

DH recently got 2 new T-shirts and there was plain white tissue paper in the packaging, so that's been ironed out and will be used for wrapping presents, tied up with the ribbons that I cut out of clothes that don't need hanging up.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
    • horsechestnut
    • By horsechestnut 23rd Jul 19, 5:01 PM
    • 1,426 Posts
    • 2,804 Thanks
    horsechestnut
    • 23rd Jul 19, 5:01 PM
    • 23rd Jul 19, 5:01 PM
    The clear plastic punnets that strawberries etc come in are good for using on your dressing table for keeping small items together and of course everything can be easily seen.
    A bit more effort, but I used the fabric from a good quality broken umbrella to make a shopping bag. Cut it open, separate the triangles, sew them tip to base -which makes an oblong. Trim it to size and use the trimming to make the handles. I have a shopping bag with "The Dog" logo on display, so of course it looks expensive, is water proof and folds neatly into my handbag.
    I also use the ribbons from new garments if they are not needed to hang up the item. Add to home made gift tags the are cut from old greeting cards.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 23rd Jul 19, 5:21 PM
    • 9,016 Posts
    • 14,883 Thanks
    jackieblack
    When my daughter recently wanted to buy a funnel for filling her bird seed holders more easily, I suggested she made one from an empty fizzy drink bottle - cut off about halfway down and turn the top part upside down - she was amazed and delighted with her ‘free’ funnel!

Now, just to find a use for the bottom half...
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

MFW #4 (2018 £866.89 OPd)
    2019 YTD £1223.85 (£750 offset), Dec £50

Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 23rd Jul 19, 5:30 PM
    • 23,435 Posts
    • 58,689 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    Discarded white pipe - gutter for new shed
    Worktop offcut - workbench for new shed.
    Curtain tie-back hook - tool hook in new shed. (Seeing a theme?)
    Various jars & tins - storage for new shed.
    Door from old shed - gate/door to close off area behind shed from access.

Glazed breadbin which lost its lid - will be a planter.
    Deep plastic food tray with clear lid - will be used for seeds.

Fireguard - had several uses after original use, such as protecting newly seeded lawn, currently acting as extended guard on upper bunk bed to stop son reaching over to monitor camera.

Two deep chrome planters which came as bases to bubble tubes, one is now part of a homemade water feature outdoors, the other will be used for herbs shortly.

We never throw anything away that could be useful I have to admit to being a bit of a scavenger. Offcuts of wood from B&Q are taken and stored for future use. One team's discarded tech at work went into our team's cupboard, saves us bothering IT for a new mouse etc.
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 23rd Jul 19, 5:38 PM
    • 564 Posts
    • 8,983 Thanks
    YorksLass
    When my daughter recently wanted to buy a funnel for filling her bird seed holders more easily, I suggested she made one from an empty fizzy drink bottle - cut off about halfway down and turn the top part upside down - she was amazed and delighted with her ‘free’ funnel! Now, just to find a use for the bottom half...
    Originally posted by jackieblack
    Make a few drainage holes in the bottom and use as a starter pot for seeds. The top half also makes a good cloche for small plants/seedlings until they're ready for planting out.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 23rd Jul 19, 5:58 PM
    • 16,962 Posts
    • 145,250 Thanks
    JackieO
    I snaffled several empty plastic milk bottles with screw lids ,washed them out and filled with washing soda crystals and wrote on the front in marker pen WASHINg SODA, The plastic bags I buy the soda in once opened us useless as it spills it all over the bottom of the cupboard plus if you don't decant it it will just harden into lumps .
    I also a couple of years ago snaffled a old pair of jeans my DGS had out grown and cut the legs off and sewed the bottom of each leg up and at the top turned it over and ran an old trainer lace through the turned up bit to make a draw string and I keep the two jeans legs on the back of the spare room door and store left over christmas wrapping paper in them along with a pair of scissors and a roll of sellotape. Keeps about 4 rolls in each leg and they are easy to find when it comes to Christmas .I normally get the paper reduced after Christmas in the sales so win-win

Aldi were doing some really nice yogurt in small glass pots with push on lids awhile ago and I saved about 6 of them and they are all maked up with different things on the outside for the small things I pay for in cash throughout the month,gardener ,quiz night ,hairdresser,history club etc . I then draw the cash out at the beginning of the month and divide it into the separate pots and they are on the top shelf of the kitchen cabinet. Never have to think about the small bit of cash for bills as I make sure the exact amount is in there every month .

I have another pot that I keep 'road kill' cash found on my travels Its surprising how the odd pennies and five pence pieces add up.Plus there is always a small amount of cash in there to go into the charity envelopes that sometimes come through the door .

I like to try and find another use for odds and ends if I can Great thread this

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 23rd Jul 19, 6:06 PM
    • 9,016 Posts
    • 14,883 Thanks
    jackieblack
    Make a few drainage holes in the bottom and use as a starter pot for seeds. The top half also makes a good cloche for small plants/seedlings until they're ready for planting out.
    Originally posted by YorksLass
    Ooh... loving the mini cloche idea!
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

MFW #4 (2018 £866.89 OPd)
    2019 YTD £1223.85 (£750 offset), Dec £50

Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 23rd Jul 19, 6:13 PM
    • 1,438 Posts
    • 10,453 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    The clear plastic punnets that strawberries etc come in are good for using on your dressing table for keeping small items together and of course everything can be easily seen.
    Originally posted by horsechestnut
    Ooh, yes! I’d forgotten about this one. You know the plastic containers that mushrooms come in? The ones that hold about 750g? I use them as dividers in the drawers in the bathroom: soap goes into one “section”; those little bottles of shampoo that you get given in hotels go into another; there’s a third for body wash and another for hair conditioner, etc.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 23rd Jul 19, 6:46 PM
    • 564 Posts
    • 8,983 Thanks
    YorksLass
    You know the plastic containers that mushrooms come in? The ones that hold about 750g? I use them as dividers in the drawers in the bathroom: soap goes into one “section”; those little bottles of shampoo that you get given in hotels go into another; there’s a third for body wash and another for hair conditioner, etc. Pip
    Originally posted by PipneyJane
    I've got a stash of these too and have some in my kitchen cupboards to store packets of casserole mixes, stir fry sachets etc - keeps them tidy and it's easier to find what I'm looking for. They're also useful to stand bottles of oil in so they don't make a mess of the shelves. Several in the bedroom drawers for socks, undies etc.

I snaffled several empty plastic milk bottles with screw lids ,washed them out and filled with washing soda crystals and wrote on the front in marker pen WASHINg SODA, The plastic bags I buy the soda in once opened us useless as it spills it all over the bottom of the cupboard plus if you don't decant it it will just harden into lumps .

Aldi were doing some really nice yogurt in small glass pots with push on lids awhile ago and I saved about 6 of them and they are all maked up with different things on the outside for the small things I pay for in cash throughout the month,gardener ,quiz night ,hairdresser,history club etc . I then draw the cash out at the beginning of the month and divide it into the separate pots and they are on the top shelf of the kitchen cabinet. Never have to think about the small bit of cash for bills as I make sure the exact amount is in there every month .

I have another pot that I keep 'road kill' cash found on my travels Its surprising how the odd pennies and five pence pieces add up.Plus there is always a small amount of cash in there to go into the charity envelopes that sometimes come through the door .JackieO x
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Good idea for the washing soda storage. If you cut them on the diagonal (make sure you keep the handle bit) they make cheap scoops too for things like soap powder, compost etc.

Snap, on the system for separating cash out for all the small payments we need each month.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 23rd Jul 19, 6:53 PM
    • 23,435 Posts
    • 58,689 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    I also a couple of years ago snaffled a old pair of jeans my DGS had out grown and cut the legs off and sewed the bottom of each leg up and at the top turned it over and ran an old trainer lace through the turned up bit to make a draw string and I keep the two jeans legs on the back of the spare room door and store left over christmas wrapping paper in them along with a pair of scissors and a roll of sellotape.
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Hadn't thought of trouser legs - thank you for the idea!
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 23rd Jul 19, 6:58 PM
    • 3,307 Posts
    • 4,286 Thanks
    FreeBear
    Found part of a wok set at a local charity shop. They wanted 50p for the spun aluminium lid, so I gave them a whole £1... Made a hole in the middle, and it now hangs as a lamp shade in the hall.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 23rd Jul 19, 7:58 PM
    • 5,830 Posts
    • 35,422 Thanks
    caronc
    The base of my much missed late dog's bed is currently full of pea plants. "Bags for life" with a few holes popped in make great spud/other veg growing sacks. What was an outdoor dog run is now a log store and now defunct glass recyling crates (the system changed) are bases for raised pots (actually cheap builders buckets with holes drilled in the base) in my veg patch. Surplus decking planks strengthen an old garden bench whose seat broke and is now covered with flower pots. I could go on but suffice to say a lot of my garden is put together from stuff that was used for something else first.

• Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 23rd Jul 19, 8:43 PM
    • 10,335 Posts
    • 13,235 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    These shelves were two and a bit bi-fold doors thrown out by a neighbour:

The bench is one door, and the shelves are the second door ripped lengthwise. Upright is offcut of a third door (remainder used elsewhere).

Covered in cork tiles, and gloss varnish from Poundland. Loadsastorage in the hobbies room!

Before using them for this purpose, the doors were a temporary dining/office table when I had a lot of paperwork to sort out, so they are now on their third use.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,315Posts Today

8,066Users online

Martin's Twitter