Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

"Repurposing" things - what have YOU done? Or what do you have that needs a purpose? - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

"Repurposing" things - what have YOU done? Or what do you have that needs a purpose?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
236 replies 53.5K views

Replies

• marybmaryb Forumite
    4.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yorkslass I wish my fabric stash could fit in a single suitcase!

Do you mind saying where you get your yarn from? Always looking for good sources

I also use glass herb jars for button storage. And I use coffee jars to store zips in separated by colour. 9 jars for Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain plus black and white. Cuts down on time looking to see whether I need to buy a new zip

Card index file which lost its lid but still has dividers used for sorting seed packets
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • paddy's_mumpaddy's_mum Forumite
    4K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    those little bottles of shampoo that you get given in hotels

Given? I've always thought you had to pinch them!
  • GreyQueenGreyQueen Forumite
    12.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given? I've always thought you had to pinch them!
    :) My understanding is that these wee toiletries are part of what you pay for with the room hire, so you can use them in the room, take them away from the room or ignore them altogether and use whatever toiletries you have with you.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) My understanding is that these wee toiletries are part of what you pay for with the room hire, so you can use them in the room, take them away from the room or ignore them altogether and use whatever toiletries you have with you.

I always have a stash of these and save them for when I go on holiday (self -catering ) with my youngest DD and family.My DGS especially seem to think shampoo is like water and a bottle goes no where when they are in the bathrooms so tiny bottles put in the bathroom over the holidays seem to last longer.My eldest DD brings them home form her numerous holidays (my DGS Danny lives in New York so they visit at least twice a year)plus they go to Grecce at least a couple of times a year and she also travels with his company .So I get all the 'freebies ' She also brings me those tiny pots of jam back,which come in handy when I make up small parcels for my friends at Christmas I have a couple of friends who love to open small gift hampers and I usually fill them with small jams,tins of fruit,small soap bars ,in fact anything to help them have a little treat I will also pop in perhaps a paper back and a nice box of home made biscuits or a small fruit cake .I have a couple of friends who I know appreciate the thought and live alone and can at times be a little isolated.

Re the Yarn I knit blankets for a charity and often find small baby jumpers and wooly things at bootsales (white especially)and for 20-30p will buy them and take them home and unpick ,wash ,dry and roll up and reknit into blankets or small toys for a charity.
    Its recycling at its best :) I can spend a whole evening just unpicking the wool to wash and normally a small article or two can produce at least 100 gms of wool for around 50p a fraction of what a new ball would cost Once washed and dried and wound up its no different from an new ball. Sometimes you can find odd colours of balls at bootsales or jumble sales for a fraction of the price as well.

I am an avid 'wombler' as well.:D:D:D
  • Owain_MoneysaverOwain_Moneysaver Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The very nice clear plastic drawers in my lounge and bedroom cabinets ...

from a freezer that got thrown out.

Just the right size.

Looks like this, but mine are nicer as mine are crystal clear. And the cabinet was only £8 from Salvation Army furniture.

AIG3881720.jpg

£118 inc VAT for four trays and some chipboard I don't think so.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • juliettetjuliettet Forumite
    722 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I use the glass ramekins from posh desserts to stand oil and balsamic vinegar bottles in to avoid mess in the cupboards.
    Use the cheapest white flannels as a substitute for muslin cloths. The thinner the better.
    Instead of using cling film to cover a bowl, smear a little oil around the rim and cover with a plate or saucer.
    Old rubber gloves get cut up for plant ties.
  • thriftwizardthriftwizard Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use a beach-found water-worn airbrick to hold my wooden spoons upright by the cooker, just where I need them.
    Angie

GC Aug 20 £122.99/£450
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10 used out of 68

(Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • GreyQueenGreyQueen Forumite
    12.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :T Great cabinet, Owain.

I use a mahogany-effect blockboard CD?DVD storage cabinet to housing sewing supplies. It has three compartments, two of which pull out at right-angles to each other and a great drawer underneath which is reserved for small hand tools like screwdrivers and pliers which I need frequently.

Sewing supplies sit inside cabinet in old plastic ferrer0 rocher boxes and the odd plastic tub. Very small footprint and holds a goodly amount of stuff.

I'm currently using a round tarp trampoline cover as a tent footprint and one of those mats laid out like road systems as a tent carpet. Intend to add another few of the road rugs as I see them 2nd hand.

I love repurposing but it does make throwing anything out a trifle difficult as I can always see a potential future purpose. :p
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • luxor4tluxor4t Forumite
    11.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two pairs of traditional style pjs and a pair of shorts for DGS, made from cast off clothing and the faithful 'Family Circle' pattern from when his uncles were little boys.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • luvchocolateluvchocolate Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    YorksLass wrote: »
    Brilliant idea for a thread, ouraggie. Here's a few of mine.

I use a redundant earthenware treacle-glaze biscuit barrel (no lid, it broke) as a holder for my knitting yarn to stop it rolling all over the floor. It's quite large so easily holds the bigger 100g balls of wool.

I buy my yarn online and it comes packed in plain white organza drawstring bags. Some I use as laundry bags and the others have been cut up and re-sewn into smaller bags to hold loose F&V when I go shopping.

A tall round plain glass vase has been re-purposed as a kitchen utensil holder that stands on my kitchen worktop. Much too large for flowers but ideal in its new role.

We recently bought a new suitcase on wheels so the old one (not on wheels) now stores my fabric stash and it fits neatly under the bed in the spare room.

LIke AoD, I use small glass herb and spice jars as storage containers for buttons.

DH recently got 2 new T-shirts and there was plain white tissue paper in the packaging, so that's been ironed out and will be used for wrapping presents, tied up with the ribbons that I cut out of clothes that don't need hanging up.
    I also cut out the ribbon on clothing meant to be used to stop falling off coat hanger.....use for tying on labels for gifts etc