Car Complaint

Options
Good Morning,

I've had an absolute lemon of a car sold to me on PCP. it is 2 and a half years old, still in warranty. (vauxhall astra). so far it has been into the garage 6 times since ownership in march 2017. all within the space of a year (July-July). its needed to go in for:

ECU update
Engine Replacement
ECU fixing
Battery Issues
Clutch Master Cylinder
ANOTHER engine replacement along with the clutch master cylinder. (after taking it in because of brake issues??)

anyway, i am currently complaining to the finance company (black horse) and they are to get back to me soon. does anyone have any knowledge of how this will pan out? i have asked to be broken out of the finance agreement. so i will see how it goes.

does anyone know whether i could realistically take this to the M-Ombudsman if they say no?

Ta
OllieG

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sorry, can you clarify the timeline.

You've had the car since March 2017, and it was new then?
    The problems started in the last year, starting a year and a half after you took delivery?

I presume the dealer are covering the cost under the manufacturer's warranty?

Have to admit, my first port of call would be a different dealer.
  • bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As its made it past the first year the finance would not be interested in the issues, you need to take it up with the dealer and prove it was defective at time of delivery.

As the dealer are generally repairing under warranty they are covering themselves here so would most likely pass the buck upto Vauxhall HQ.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Persevere for 6 months and then hand it back at the end of the PCP (or VT it as soon as you can).

Then don't let someone sell you a Vauxhall again.
  • Ollieg97
    Options
    Sorry, my bad, was concentrating on other things! ive had it since October 17 . the problems started the July after, and i have just got it back from the dealer for an engine replacement.

In regards to not selling me a vauxhall again the blame firmly lies at my feet! i went in and intentionally bought a vauxhall! oh how foolish i was!
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So you got it as a used car, 6mo? (ex-rental...?)
  • Ollieg97
    Options
    Yeah i did, the car was registered on 27th Dec 16. it was an ex hire car. they coincidentally forgot to tell me it was a hire car!
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As its made it past the first year the finance would not be interested in the issues, you need to take it up with the dealer and prove it was defective at time of delivery.

If it is a case of the vehicle being faulty from new or in fact, any other breach of contract then it doesn't matter how interested or not the finance company are, they are still equally as liable as the dealership under S75 of the Consumer Credit Act.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure