Holiday surname change

Just looking for some holiday advice. My children's father left us 4 years ago and I have no contact at all. I don't know where he is. I changed our 3 children's surnames from his to mine by deedpole 3 years ago and they are under the NHS, schools, government, bank accounts etc as my surname. On a whim I booked us our first holiday before applying for passports. The passport office wouldn't accept the change of name documents without written consent from the father so I've had to get passports under the children's previous surname.

Here comes my dilemma. Now I have our passports I contacted Ryanair to change the surnames and had to pay £115 for each child so £345 last week. I wasn't over the moon about this but it is what it is. So flight and passport names now match. I booked with on the beach and after reading their documents it's dawned on me I need to change with them as well at £230 each plus £30 admin fees. I can't afford this for 3 children I'm really upset.

As I've already changed the flight names could I just go on holiday as normal. My travel insurance is through my bank so we are all Insured Incase of an accident abroad. Could I just fly out and enjoy our holiday? Would on the beach need to know? I don't want to contact them to enquire Incase they hold me to it and cancel the holiday if I can't pay it.

Comments

• malkie76
    malkie76 Posts: 6,170 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I’m not 100% sure (as I don’t know enough about the booking details), but potentially the fee with OTB is to cover the name change with RyanAir and a mark up. Given you’ve already directly changed names with RyanAir a change via OTB shouldn’t be needed.

However, what’s the accommodation situation when you get there ? What’s it booked under ?

For peace of mind get in contact with OTB and tell them what you’ve already done.
    Legal team on standby
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I expect malkie76 is correct and that the fees that OnTheBeach list are the cover the Ryanair change fees, and obviously adding their own cut on top for their “work”.

In reality they’d have only done exactly what you did and call Ryanair to make the change. Now that it’s changed with Ryanair it is sorted as far as the flights are concerned.

I can’t see any issue with the accommodation as surely that will be booked under your name as Lead passenger, and the adult on the booking.
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Ditto. I agree. Don't need to pay OTB anything
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills