PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Joint freeholder won't sign transfer to me

DColley
DColley Posts: 6 Forumite
edited 14 June 2019 at 10:55PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi all,

I have a LH flat in a block of 3 flats. The FH is owned by the other 2 flats, (original owner of the building and another owner - not present at the property)
The owners of FH have an agreement that when I buy my share, the funds only go to the original owner of the building.

8 years! ago we agreed with the original owner to buy the FH, but we still can't get the other party to sign the forms... I know we should have the right to buy our share of FH, but how do we actually get them to sign?

In the meantime we need to extend our lease term - but we're blocked because the sale of FH is in process...

We have been calling and texting - and they've stopped responding or taking our calls. We even sent them a thank-you hamper in anticipation of them signing the form. I would camp out on their doorstep, but that's an 800 mile round trip...

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Derek

Comments

• Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Why do you think you have a right to buy freehold?
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • DColley
    Because we have agreement from the original freeholder... he's already signed the document.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    But if you only have the agreement if one of the two freeholders, you have no agreement.

8 years! ago we agreed with the original owner to buy the LH,
    I asume you mean the FH. My understanding is that you already own the LH?
  • DColley
    Thanks for pointing out the typo - I've corrected the original post.

But, the 2nd share-of-freehold already own their 1/3 portion, they don't own the portion we're trying to buy.

I guess we're just at their mercy...? No legal means to force the process to a conclusion.
  • TrickyDicky101
    TrickyDicky101 Posts: 3,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    how much are you offering to pay this other freeholder for his agreement to sell? maybe offer more?
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Is the price you should pay for the 1/3rd of the freehold fixed?
    Why can't you proceed with a statutory lease extension? That will add to the value of your lease and cannot be avoided by the freeholder.
  • da_rule
    da_rule Posts: 3,618 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Even if a freehold is owned as tenants in common and you want to buy all or part of one of the owners shares you would still need all owners to sign the transfer deed.

There is a remedy of specific performance, whereby the court can order him to sign the document. You’d probably want to have an agreement in place with the other freeholders as well.

Another issue is that unless the agreement you made 8 years ago was made as a deed you may be out of time to enforce. You can only enforce on a breach of a standard contract for a period of 6 years from the breach.
  • DColley
    I guess we were really naive and we didn't know/realise they were crucial to the process. At first they were told they had to cover legal expenses (without getting any of the sale price), but we got over that by assuring them they would not have to pay anything.
    how much are you offering to pay this other freeholder for his agreement to sell? maybe offer more?
  • DColley
    Yes, the price is only for our 1/3 of the freehold.
    The lawyer for the original freeholder told us she didn't want to do the lease extension - which we would have to pay market value for - when the share FH was so close to completion.
    Tom99 wrote: »
    Is the price you should pay for the 1/3rd of the freehold fixed?
    Why can't you proceed with a statutory lease extension? That will add to the value of your lease and cannot be avoided by the freeholder.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    DColley wrote: »

But, the 2nd share-of-freehold already own their 1/3 portion, they don't own the portion we're trying to buy.

I doubt this very much.

It is very unlikely ther freehold for the building is split into 3. That would make the property virtually unmorgeagable as well as a nightmare to manage.

More likely it is a single freehold Title currently jointly owned by 2 people in shares of 1/3 & 2/3rds each.

Thu both current freeholders ould have to agree any sale. If you purchased then the single freehold would become jointly owned by all 3 of you. Assuming the current 2/3rds owner kept your purchase price, then you'd each own 1/3rd of he freehold. You would NOT each own separate freeholds.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure