Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Frank99
    • By Frank99 14th Jun 19, 3:14 PM
    • 281Posts
    • 25Thanks
    Frank99
    Filling gaps in wall studding?
    • 14th Jun 19, 3:14 PM
    Filling gaps in wall studding? 14th Jun 19 at 3:14 PM
    Long story made short, brick wall on the outside and the inside studded, i wanted to fill the the gaps with expanding foam but i have heard about how cavity wall insulation can absorb moisture and bridge it to the inside concerned about using it in this situation.

I was going to squirt it under where the skirting board has to go because Wood Louse and small spiders keep walking from under the studding into the living room at night, the spiders have not gone down well with the other half to say the least.

I have used this foam in other situations but similar to cavity wall insulation i think the foam also absorbs moisture.
    Enjoy everyday like it's your last!
Page 1
    • markin
    • By markin 14th Jun 19, 7:15 PM
    • 846 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    markin
    • 14th Jun 19, 7:15 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 7:15 PM
    Just use silicone to seal it.
    • king132
    • By king132 17th Jun 19, 11:26 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    king132
    • 17th Jun 19, 11:26 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 11:26 AM
    Measure the thickness of the stud work and fit the thickest polystyrene sheets for that size.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 17th Jun 19, 12:18 PM
    • 3,053 Posts
    • 4,034 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 17th Jun 19, 12:18 PM
    • 17th Jun 19, 12:18 PM
    As long as there is a DPC in place, a very thin bead of expanding foam will seal the gap. Don't try filling the gap straight from the nozzle, at the stuff expands way more than one might think.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,527Posts Today

7,081Users online

Martin's Twitter