Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Matt0503
    • By Matt0503 12th Jun 19, 8:58 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Matt0503
    17 year old looking for insurance
    • 12th Jun 19, 8:58 PM
    17 year old looking for insurance 12th Jun 19 at 8:58 PM
    I know that this has been talked about a lot... but im looking for recent answers as most answers to my questions are from 2009-2014. Basically, i turned 17 in march and passed my driving test in may in a 2 litre passat. After that i wanted to buy insurance for the car but it was showing more that 3000 WITH a black box. Since then i have been looking at different cars and bought a 1.3 diesel corsa 2007 because i was getting low quotes for corsas, 1700-2000 with 10,000 miles a year, WITH a black box. After buying the car 2 days ago ive been trying to look for insurance but all that is showing is a policy for 2200 WITH a black box and its only 5,000 miles a year (i worked it out to be 13-14 miles a day) which is not enough for me as i had a moped before that and did 3,000 miles in a few months. What i need help with is what can i do to lower my insurance? I tried to buy insurance for my dad with me added (on his car so he would drive it more making it legal) however I got quotes of 16,000 upwards. The best insurance quote i managed to get since buying the corsa was 2,200 and thats with my dad added to the policy and a black box.

I noticed that if i added my mum that the premium increased instead of decreasing, eventhough she has had her driving license for 8 years and is over 40

Is there nothing i can do apart from paying outrageous amounts or not driving at all? My friend had someone find him insurance and he found it cheapest with Collingwood for 1400 and apparently they didnt put a black box on his car because he added his mum to the policy. Is this an actual thing? And is it legal?

I would prefer to pay even 3000 but only if it was WITHOUT a black box as i know its irritating. Is this possible anywhere?

Ohh and the 2,200 quote i got was with 'More Than Smartwheels'

Thanks in advance for all answers, they are all appreciated
Page 1
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 13th Jun 19, 8:28 AM
    • 5,128 Posts
    • 3,077 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:28 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:28 AM
    High excess, adding an older driver, choosing the right car. I think you could of bought a cheaper to insure car but you have it now.

Other factors, occupation and post code.

Other than that, nothing you can do apart from getting older, driving safely and don't have an accident or break the law and get caught.

Your mate's parents ares probably fronting him or using a spare no claims bonus.
    • warby68
    • By warby68 13th Jun 19, 8:40 AM
    • 1,372 Posts
    • 10,913 Thanks
    warby68
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:40 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:40 AM
    I have just insured a 17y old new driver with Smart Wheels for 1100 in a new Citroen C1, also 5000 miles. I thought that was pretty good. It was about 100 for each extra 1000 miles but you can also buy more miles mid term, although more expensive.

His dad and I are both named drivers and that brings it down for us . It was the same for my other son, then 18, last year. Smart Wheels best by far for both boys , and his premium fell by nearly 60% for his second year (for some comfort hopefully)

Last year I spent a very long time looking and the precise type and age of car makes a huge difference, even very similar small engined things varied a lot. New cars did better than old ones.

Not much help if you've already committed to the car but you can run other cars through to see if this is the main variable. Is it too late to change your car - perhaps with the same seller for suitable reward.
    Last edited by warby68; 13-06-2019 at 8:56 AM.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 13th Jun 19, 8:43 AM
    • 27,718 Posts
    • 73,760 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:43 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:43 AM
    Also, they hike the price if they know you're desperate and need the insurance today. I've been stung myself when buying a car at auction and needed to drive it home. Try putting in dates in 2/3 weeks time.

We couldn't find anything without a black box for our son last year - I think some kids are 'lucky' if they find something without (I had no complaints about his driving being monitored!), but yes, there's possibility that the parents are fronting. I don't see the point, personally, you'll still get stung the first year you take out your own policy.

I tried it with both parents and just one as named drivers, and I put in his part time job as well. They all helped. You could try a grandparent if mum doesn't work (I'm surprised though, does she have points on her license?)

And use ALL the price comparison websites. I'm still a bit surprised at your 'cheap' quote as ours was just under 2,000 for 8,000 miles (black box) on a 1.6 Mini Cooper D Paceman! Perhaps you are in a more expensive area. This year is down to 1,200 without one. Could have got under 1,000 with one, but we had to top up miles last year, so it's a risk .
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 13-06-2019 at 8:51 AM.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Matt0503
    • By Matt0503 13th Jun 19, 8:59 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Matt0503
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:59 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:59 AM
    Is the smartwheels insurance any good? I dont mind being monitored or paying more if i do something wrong like brake too hard. The thing is that i dont want to be driving for 8 months on the policy and then all of a sudden having my insurance being cancelled, because that would lose me my 1 year no claims bonus. I do live in am area where cars and motorbikes get stolen alot, infact my moped was stolen a few months ago and we have been robbed 2 other times in the past half a year. Its not too late for me to change my car but if was to pay 1600 for a Yaris and 1900 for a corsa then i would much rather drive the corsa
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 13th Jun 19, 9:04 AM
    • 5,128 Posts
    • 3,077 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:04 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:04 AM
    infact my moped was stolen a few months ago and we have been robbed 2 other times in the past half a year. Its not too late for me to change my car but if was to pay 1600 for a Yaris and 1900 for a corsa then i would much rather drive the corsa
    Originally posted by Matt0503
    Maybe one of the reasons why your insurance is higher, as you have had a moped stolen....I assume you declared that on the quote?

You need to punch in less than 1000cc cars to see if that alters the quote.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 13th Jun 19, 9:22 AM
    • 4,851 Posts
    • 2,827 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:22 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:22 AM
    1lt petrol corsa/i10 would have been a better bet.

Have you tried admiral.
    • warby68
    • By warby68 13th Jun 19, 9:39 AM
    • 1,372 Posts
    • 10,913 Thanks
    warby68
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:39 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:39 AM
    Smart Wheels has been OK for us so far but not really sure how you judge that.

As the parent I like the Black Box as incentive to drive cautiously whilst building driving experience and maturity. The Smart Wheels one doesn't have a curfew which we didn't want. Eldest son did really well in his first year, got the gift card rewards and a massive reduction for Y2. In a straw poll of his 6th form mates last year, nearly all ended up with Smart Wheels so must have something going for it.

Not sure about mid term cancellation, think you'd have to do something really bad that would affect other insurance. Its fairly obvious how you need to drive to keep a good score and you can track it and improve if you have to.

Really, I suspect you need a 1 litre or less car, especially if your postcode and claims history are quite adverse.
    • Matt0503
    • By Matt0503 13th Jun 19, 10:32 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Matt0503
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:32 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:32 AM
    I did call the police and they have recovered it however i couldnt make a claim on my insurance as it was third party only

I dont really want a car under 1.2 litres as i would prefer to get another 125cc bike if that was the case and i did try admiral, for the passat it was over their maximum premium (30,000) so they couldnt even give me insurance. And for the corsa its 10,500

Regarding a black box policy i dont want to be restricted for example not been able to go 31mph instead of 30 and i dont want to get a low score because i would occasionally drive after 11PM, but i dont think smartwheels is that bad, as i said i would rather pay 3,000 without a black box than 2,000 with a black box. But the only low quote i got without a black box was 5,500 so i dont think i have much of a choice than to pay the 2,200 for smartwheels insurance

The only thing i hate is that if i select 10,000 miles that the insurance jumps to 3,000
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 13th Jun 19, 10:54 AM
    • 7,603 Posts
    • 4,840 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    You don't want to be restricted to obeying the law?
    You don't want a suitable car for someone with your experience to build up some no claims?

Good luck with your insurance!
    the concept of a United States of Europe is right. Winston Churchill 1930
    I think that the Government are right to apply to join the European Economic Community... -Winston Churchill 1961
    The future of Europe if Britain were to be excluded is black indeed.
    - Winston Churchill 1963
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 13th Jun 19, 11:27 AM
    • 5,128 Posts
    • 3,077 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    If it has gone on record the your bike was stolen then you have had a "loss" whether you were insured or not.

Up to you if you answer the questions with economical truth or not but I would think very carefully about answering the questions on the comparison sites or if asked directly as you could be in for a world of great pain if the worse happens and the insurers look at all the databases at their disposal should you ever need to make a claim.
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 13th Jun 19, 11:35 AM
    • 2,216 Posts
    • 4,787 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    We got insurance for our youngest son via Admiral last year for 1200, this year it dropped to 700 but I sourced it elsewhere (Esure) for just over 500. He has just his Dad on as it made it slightly dearer to have 2 parents on even though we both have blameless driving records for over 30 and 40 years respectively.

I did slip up though by waiting too close to renewal rather than taking the quote I obtained three weeks out and it did go up to over 500 when it was around 465 at the earlier point.

It is just a case of shopping around and getting online quotes.
    • Steve KK
    • By Steve KK 13th Jun 19, 11:35 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Steve KK
    The best way to lower your insurance premium is to do further driver training and pass the associated qualifications. Your driving instructor should be am to make suggestions.

Having said that a premium of around 2k is about the normal for a 17 year old who has passed their test.

Regards,
    Steve
    • Ant555
    • By Ant555 13th Jun 19, 11:39 AM
    • 1,040 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    Ant555
    Is the smartwheels insurance any good? I dont mind being monitored or paying more if i do something wrong like brake too hard. The thing is that i dont want to be driving for 8 months on the policy and then all of a sudden having my insurance being cancelled, because that would lose me my 1 year no claims bonus. I do live in am area where cars and motorbikes get stolen alot, infact my moped was stolen a few months ago and we have been robbed 2 other times in the past half a year. Its not too late for me to change my car but if was to pay 1600 for a Yaris and 1900 for a corsa then i would much rather drive the corsa
    Originally posted by Matt0503
    Ref your request for opinions on SmartWheels black box.

14 months ago we got a 1.0 Aygo for my 17 year old son who had passed his test 3 weeks prior so similar situation to you. Our sole intention was to get something that was mobile - we didnt care about engine size. Quotes for Corsas were horrendously expensive by comparison for some reason. Aygo and C1s etc might cheaper as they only have 4 seats.
    Cost was 1200 -(same as we paid for the car) I took out a 0% credit card, paid smart wheels the whole lot on the CC, and paid CC back at 100/month interest free. I realise this may not be an option for you but mention it here just in case.

I was terrified of the stories on insurance being cancelled at 1 weeks notice, thinking that would affect my sons insurance history in his first year (IF they threaten to cancel then you probably need to get in first and cancel yourself so the answer to the question 'have you ever had insurance cancelled?' is legitimately a NO, take the financial hit and find other insurance)

+ points - the app tells you quite a lot - you can get cahsback - we ended up in total with around 80 repaid onto a debit card they send you. It tells you where the car is - as a responsible parent with the app on my phone this was useful, as a young driver, maybe not so!

They score every journey in three ways - creating an overall score for the journey, a score for the day, an overall score for the month, period etc.

Usage score we got LOADS of minus scores for driving too many times in 24 hours and for driving late etc but I was completely unfussed by this score as we bought the car to drive and not to be parked up! SmartWheels isnt a curfew policy so drive it when you like - they create a driving score which dents your cashback amount but again, we didnt get the policy to create cachbask - it was just a bonus IF we did get any. Usage scores with smartwheels wont get it cancelled - NOTE-at least it didnt when we took one out.
    Smoothness score - very occasionally minus scores. My son would typically know exactly where a minus score came from - such as " that idiot pulled out on the roundabout and I had to break hard etc - what was I sup[posed to do - hit him?"
    Speed - this is the big one for SmartWheels, I think and I was constantly checking - a young driver will, of course, be tempted to push things a bit. The black box simply keeps a lid on this for good reason.
    My sons girlfriend has minus scores for speed pretty much every journey (she was with smart wheels too) and she didnt get cancelled - probably because it was just a bit over. I think they hammer you if its a lot over. My son worked out he could do 5-8 mps over and not get penalised on the app (probably the first thing he worked out!)

If you go down this route then when its fitted make sure you watch where it goes. The fitter will try and ask you to leave him to it but hang around. I say this as if you know where it is then you can disconnect it AFTER you insurance has expired in 12 months and you go with someone else. Disconnecting during your insurance is not allowed (they WILL know) but after they will either charge you for taking it out or you can remove the little fuse yourself and isolate it. I think if you leave it in then they will still be able to actively monitor the cars movements - I disconnected it the day after the policy expired.

Note that the fitter takes pictures of all round your car and sends to the insurers to make sure it is exactly as you describe and no 'extras' make it more attractive to thieves, wheels tyres, spoilers etc.

Regarding adding a secondary driver to bring premiums down - it is NOT against the rules to add a second driver (or third, or fourth) such as a parent, other relative, 55 year old neighbour etc even if it brings the premium down a lot, but you cannot add them as the main driver if they are not. Try some combinations in the comparison sites.
    My son aged 17 was MAIN driver, daughter aged 20 was a second driver (she used occasionally when home from Uni), I was a named driver and so was my wife so we had 4 people on there and it was 1200. Son on his own was far higher.

PS - year 2 with one year no claims was half the price WITH a black box at SmartWheels but also half the price without at Admiral.

Lots of words here but hopefully useful as I feel your pain on the cost and the apprehension on the black box.

If you are after advice rather than opinion??... get the black box for year 1, drive safely, learn how to drive (yes the cliche of now you passed your test, you start to learn how to drive does apply - you are learning how bad and unpredictable other peoples driving can be!), become a better driver, keep your parents happy as they WILL almost certainly worry, get that no claims bonus and look forward to it being far cheaper in year 2 with NO black box.

Oh, any by the way, my son still thinks there is an active black box in the car... please dont tell him!!

Hope it helps
    Last edited by Ant555; 13-06-2019 at 12:03 PM.
    • gord115
    • By gord115 13th Jun 19, 12:39 PM
    • 981 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    gord115
    Try lots of different cars.
    When my son was 18 he found a Toyota Corolla with a 1.4 engine was a lot cheaper to insure than a Corsa or a Fiesta 1.2 or even 1.0 engine.

Probably because not as many Corollas are crashed with young drivers.
    Almost all the young 'uns round here drive Corsas or Fiestas.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 13th Jun 19, 1:43 PM
    • 10,807 Posts
    • 8,100 Thanks
    GunJack
    Best way I found to do it (for son) is:-

create account on confused.com (other comp sites available)
    enter all your details first time with first car reg

then, trawl autotrader for various cars and their registrations to try for comparison between makes & models, you only need to change the car reg then for each new quote.

You'll soon see what cars are more affordable to insure. In my son's case, corsa/saxo/106/206/etc. were all min 1900 (he was 18 at the time), he ended up with Suzuki WagonR for 1350 with no black box (and he hasn't had one since, either) but he still has the car, 2 yrs NCD, insurance has gone from 1350 to 1000 in yr2 to 500 on his last renewal.

So whilst young and building up ncd, buy the car that'll save you money, not buy car then find it's costly to insure.....
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 13th Jun 19, 2:04 PM
    • 4,676 Posts
    • 1,751 Thanks
    bengalknights
    As above once your past the first 2 years you will see a large drop in insurance costs as long as you dont have any claims.
    • phill99
    • By phill99 13th Jun 19, 5:34 PM
    • 8,633 Posts
    • 7,827 Thanks
    phill99
    Problem is you have bought the wrong car. Corsas are the car of choice for many new teenage drivers. Therefore, statistically, there will be an awful lot of claims involving them. So when the underwriters do their algorithms, Corsa will come out badly and be seen as a risky car. Add that to the fact that you are a new inexperienced driver and (statistically speaking) likely to have a claim within the next 2 years means the odds are stacked against you.

You would be better with a model of car which is not popular with young drivers - one of the small Kias, Toyotas or Nissans.

Additionally, I think your approach and attitude are a lot to be desired. Black boxes are there to monitor your driving and to help you drive in a safer manner. It seems that you don't want to be restricted by your driving style, which means that you will end up paying a heavy premium for your attitude.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • Matt0503
    • By Matt0503 14th Jun 19, 1:53 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Matt0503
    The thing is when i was comparing cars in my area the corsa was one of the cheapest cars. Around 150 a year more than a yaris so i decided to go with this car. Its not too late for me to change the car but i would rather stay with this one if i were to only save lets say 200 by getting a different one.

Im not the type of person to be sitting in their car on a sunday with their mates in the back going 100 miles an hour on a motorway, i just simply dont want to be restricted where if i know i need to go somewhere at night... then I dont have to worry about a box controlling me. Also i dont want to have to worry about not braking too hard and not accelerating too hard because in the 17 and a bit years that i lived on this earth i have seen that its sometimes unavoidable and if i were too focused on not braking hard than avoiding a hazard then to me thats even more dangerous

Iam a careful driver, even the instructor that i was with said that i learn very quickly and drive very safely, afterall i did pass my test after 8 hours in 2 weeks with him and 2 months of driving with my own car which im really proud of, but one thing which is really annoying is the fact that i have to be restricted and pay tons of money for my insurance just because other idiots my age who got the chance and lost it for us all
    • Matt0503
    • By Matt0503 14th Jun 19, 1:56 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Matt0503
    Dont get me wrong i will get a black box policy but if there was anything i could do to get a policy without a black box then i would definitely want to take that over not being able to 'get toilet paper at 11pm' which is a joke because if i buy a car then i should be able to use it whenever and however i like and not have someone telling me how hard i can press on the brake pedal.

Apart from that thank you to everyone for the answers, if you have any more tips or can help me out then that would be really useful
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

151Posts Today

1,322Users online

Martin's Twitter