We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

injured small pigeon - help

Options
longwalks1
longwalks1 Posts: 3,738 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
We've got a half sized pigeon in the garden that cant fly, no visible damage but its hiding in the hedgerow, looks like been attacked as few feathers nearby, but no signes of blood or wounds. Ive put some seeds out for it and it started eating straight away

What do we do with it, next door have 2 cats that always pass through our garden - Poor thing is a sitting target

Should we get it into a cardboard box with some food and keep it in the shed maybe? Or do any rescue places take in injured pigeons?

I used to think they are vermin, but since ive discovered the joys of wildlife and feeding the birds in the garden, my heart does go out to the little thing :(

Comments

• Cat_Loving_Lady
    Options
    Hi yes rescue places do take Pigeons. You cpuod Google local ones. It will likely die if left.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you are sure there are no parents around then I would put it in cardboard box with some seed and a small water dish.

Keep it safe overnight and Google for a wildlife rescue near you. Alternatively, ask a local vet if they can help. Our local practice has a bird keeper on the staff or they will know nearest wildlife rescue.

When I was a child my mother raised a baby wood pigeon. It lived in an old bird cage and strutted about the living room when let out.

It did fly off to the adjacent trees eventually but came back to the house each night for a couple of weeks then was gone.
  • longwalks1
    Options
    Thank you both of you... spent 2 hours ringing around and finally got through to a emergency vet who advised feed it and keep it in an open box in the shed and see how it is in the morning

Will see if it’s strong enough to fly away, if not will contact a local wildlife rescue
  • Francesanne
    Francesanne Posts: 2,081 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Please keep us posted on his progress. Fingers crossed he/she survives.
  • longwalks1
    Options
    Hi Francesanne

Sadly, little pigeon passed last night, i checked on him/her this morning before work and they'd died. Pretty sad to be honest, as seemed to perk up when we boxed him/her up and gave them some water and sunflower hearts to feed on :(
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    britishboy wrote: »
    Hi Francesanne

Sadly, little pigeon passed last night, i checked on him/her this morning before work and they'd died. Pretty sad to be honest, as seemed to perk up when we boxed him/her up and gave them some water and sunflower hearts to feed on :(

That is sad, but at least thanks to you it will have died feeling relatively safe and comfortable rather than cold and scared.
  • Francesanne
    Francesanne Posts: 2,081 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi britishboy, I'm so sorry to hear the little guy died despite your best endeavours. You were so kind trying to save him but sometimes nature just takes its course. I love the birds that visit my garden and I'd be feeling exactly like you.
  • longwalks1
    Options
    Thanks people, cant belive how much of an animal lover I've become. Like i said, couldnt care less about pigeons a few years ago, but was a little upset for the little thing yesterday morning. Must be getting soft in my old age :(
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks people, cant belive how much of an animal lover I've become. Like i said, couldnt care less about pigeons a few years ago, but was a little upset for the little thing yesterday morning. Must be getting soft in my old age :(

It's not your fault it passed, birds have such a fast metabolism that frequently pigeons die in the night if they haven't enough body fat to keep them alive when they go to sleep.:o
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options

I’m the same! I was devastated last year when a baby blue tit died from a window collision when trying to eat my stupidly placed suet cake. I’d watched in awe over the previous few days as a parent bird brought the brood to show them where my suet and feeders are and how to use them. Then I was devastated when one of the local cats snatched one of the female bullfinches.

I don’t know what’s happened to me. I’ve switched to buying much less meat and only buying decent welfare stuff. Stupid animals, making me care*.

*though admittedly not enough to go veggie or vegan...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure