Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 10th Jun 19, 5:52 PM
    • 2,986Posts
    • 409Thanks
    britishboy
    injured small pigeon - help
    • 10th Jun 19, 5:52 PM
    injured small pigeon - help 10th Jun 19 at 5:52 PM
    We've got a half sized pigeon in the garden that cant fly, no visible damage but its hiding in the hedgerow, looks like been attacked as few feathers nearby, but no signes of blood or wounds. Ive put some seeds out for it and it started eating straight away

What do we do with it, next door have 2 cats that always pass through our garden - Poor thing is a sitting target

Should we get it into a cardboard box with some food and keep it in the shed maybe? Or do any rescue places take in injured pigeons?

I used to think they are vermin, but since ive discovered the joys of wildlife and feeding the birds in the garden, my heart does go out to the little thing
Page 1
    • Cat Loving Lady
    • By Cat Loving Lady 10th Jun 19, 6:02 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    Cat Loving Lady
    • 10th Jun 19, 6:02 PM
    • 10th Jun 19, 6:02 PM
    Hi yes rescue places do take Pigeons. You cpuod Google local ones. It will likely die if left.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 10th Jun 19, 7:16 PM
    • 7,083 Posts
    • 5,339 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 10th Jun 19, 7:16 PM
    • 10th Jun 19, 7:16 PM
    If you are sure there are no parents around then I would put it in cardboard box with some seed and a small water dish.

Keep it safe overnight and Google for a wildlife rescue near you. Alternatively, ask a local vet if they can help. Our local practice has a bird keeper on the staff or they will know nearest wildlife rescue.

When I was a child my mother raised a baby wood pigeon. It lived in an old bird cage and strutted about the living room when let out.

It did fly off to the adjacent trees eventually but came back to the house each night for a couple of weeks then was gone.
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 10th Jun 19, 8:48 PM
    • 2,986 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    britishboy
    • 10th Jun 19, 8:48 PM
    • 10th Jun 19, 8:48 PM
    Thank you both of you... spent 2 hours ringing around and finally got through to a emergency vet who advised feed it and keep it in an open box in the shed and see how it is in the morning

Will see if it’s strong enough to fly away, if not will contact a local wildlife rescue
    • Francesanne
    • By Francesanne 11th Jun 19, 3:52 PM
    • 2,041 Posts
    • 2,128 Thanks
    Francesanne
    • 11th Jun 19, 3:52 PM
    • 11th Jun 19, 3:52 PM
    Please keep us posted on his progress. Fingers crossed he/she survives.
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 11th Jun 19, 8:59 PM
    • 2,986 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    britishboy
    • 11th Jun 19, 8:59 PM
    • 11th Jun 19, 8:59 PM
    Hi Francesanne

Sadly, little pigeon passed last night, i checked on him/her this morning before work and they'd died. Pretty sad to be honest, as seemed to perk up when we boxed him/her up and gave them some water and sunflower hearts to feed on
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 12th Jun 19, 7:15 AM
    • 2,523 Posts
    • 3,992 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 12th Jun 19, 7:15 AM
    • 12th Jun 19, 7:15 AM
    Hi Francesanne

Sadly, little pigeon passed last night, i checked on him/her this morning before work and they'd died. Pretty sad to be honest, as seemed to perk up when we boxed him/her up and gave them some water and sunflower hearts to feed on
    Originally posted by britishboy
    That is sad, but at least thanks to you it will have died feeling relatively safe and comfortable rather than cold and scared.
    • Francesanne
    • By Francesanne 12th Jun 19, 2:59 PM
    • 2,041 Posts
    • 2,128 Thanks
    Francesanne
    • 12th Jun 19, 2:59 PM
    • 12th Jun 19, 2:59 PM
    Hi britishboy, I'm so sorry to hear the little guy died despite your best endeavours. You were so kind trying to save him but sometimes nature just takes its course. I love the birds that visit my garden and I'd be feeling exactly like you.
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 12th Jun 19, 5:05 PM
    • 2,986 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    britishboy
    • 12th Jun 19, 5:05 PM
    • 12th Jun 19, 5:05 PM
    Thanks people, cant belive how much of an animal lover I've become. Like i said, couldnt care less about pigeons a few years ago, but was a little upset for the little thing yesterday morning. Must be getting soft in my old age
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 12th Jun 19, 9:27 PM
    • 16,516 Posts
    • 134,334 Thanks
    zagubov
    Thanks people, cant belive how much of an animal lover I've become. Like i said, couldnt care less about pigeons a few years ago, but was a little upset for the little thing yesterday morning. Must be getting soft in my old age
    It's not your fault it passed, birds have such a fast metabolism that frequently pigeons die in the night if they haven't enough body fat to keep them alive when they go to sleep.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 13th Jun 19, 1:39 PM
    • 2,523 Posts
    • 3,992 Thanks
    shortcrust
    Iím the same! I was devastated last year when a baby blue tit died from a window collision when trying to eat my stupidly placed suet cake. Iíd watched in awe over the previous few days as a parent bird brought the brood to show them where my suet and feeders are and how to use them. Then I was devastated when one of the local cats snatched one of the female bullfinches.

I donít know whatís happened to me. Iíve switched to buying much less meat and only buying decent welfare stuff. Stupid animals, making me care*.

*though admittedly not enough to go veggie or vegan...
    • MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 13th Jun 19, 10:33 PM
    • 2,243 Posts
    • 2,830 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    Sorry to read the pigeon didn't make it. It's perfectly normal to feel sadness so don't be embarrassed.
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 16th Jun 19, 7:11 AM
    • 2,919 Posts
    • 2,952 Thanks
    TheGardener
    For some reason I get multiple pigeon strikes on my back windows - up to a dozen a month in summer! There are a lot of trees behind us and they are full of wood pigeons. I don't know why they collide with my windows, the neighbours don't seem to have the same problem. I've always assumed its some sort of trick of the light reflecting on our windows that confuses them.

Most seem to survive but occasionally we end up with ones who break wings etc and wander round the garden. We used to try and get them looked after but we've never succeeded in getting them healed - they always die.

We have a resident Buzzard in the trees at the bottom of the garden and sadly, he usually picks the injured ones off and the local fox cleans up any remains.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 16th Jun 19, 9:24 AM
    • 29,567 Posts
    • 102,450 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Animals have accidents or get sick, and sometimes the prognosis is so poor it's better to put them down immediately than leave them suffering till they expire 'naturally.'

The problem, of course, is assessment. Most people aren't too good at it. Then the other problem is doing the deed! A ham-fisted dispatch can leave both sides traumatised.

People should think about these things carefully before deciding to have low cost animals, like chickens. Yes, they're fun while pecking about, young, healthy and active, but what about three or four years down the line?
    Opportunities may be missed, especially when they arrive disguised as hard work.

• zagubov
    • By zagubov 16th Jun 19, 10:14 AM
    • 16,516 Posts
    • 134,334 Thanks
    zagubov
    For some reason I get multiple pigeon strikes on my back windows - up to a dozen a month in summer! There are a lot of trees behind us and they are full of wood pigeons. I don't know why they collide with my windows, the neighbours don't seem to have the same problem. I've always assumed its some sort of trick of the light reflecting on our windows that confuses them.
    Originally posted by TheGardener
    That's supposedly quite a common thing.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 16th Jun 19, 11:34 AM
    • 2,919 Posts
    • 2,952 Thanks
    TheGardener
    That's supposedly quite a common thing.
    Originally posted by zagubov
    Wow! The biggest killer of birds by a huge margin is windows! I've tried coloured ribbons on a cane above the window but they soon disintegrate with weather/time.
    The strange thing is its ONLY pigeons who do it, I've never witnessed any other breed do it in my garden and we have a veritable menagerie of birds as we live on the edge of woodland. The imprints left on the windows are always recognisable as pigeons.
    It does give you a start though when they do it - always makes me jump out of my skin when I hear that thud on the glass.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 16th Jun 19, 1:30 PM
    • 4,675 Posts
    • 7,415 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    6 a.m. this morning, I thought someone had lobbed a brick at our bedroom window. No apparent damage, but a collared dove was walking round the driveway, shaking its head. Luckily, it must have been ok as it flew away shortly afterwards.

Mr S slept on.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 16th Jun 19, 3:45 PM
    • 2,704 Posts
    • 4,036 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    It's not your fault it passed, birds have such a fast metabolism that frequently pigeons die in the night if they haven't enough body fat to keep them alive when they go to sleep.
    Originally posted by zagubov

I was wondering about that only today as there was a bedraggled adult pigeon in my garden sat in the same position for about 5 hours. It was joined on a couple of occasions but didn't want any attention and shuffled away along the branch and even pecked at the arrivals. Plenty of food available in my garden but all of a sudden it took off and flew over my roof; I had thought it more likely it would fall off its perch!

Twice I've had the silly b****rs down my bedroom fire chimney which isn't capped. Eventually I hear them and get the gloves on and hoik them out. Both times they flew away strongly. Window collisions occasionally happen in our terrace too, with recovery times sometimes long enough to risk arrival of the local cats. They do seem rather stupid birds.
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 16th Jun 19, 11:08 PM
    • 16,516 Posts
    • 134,334 Thanks
    zagubov
    I was reading that birds metabolisms are so fast that few pathogens can tolerate their body heat.

Flying species naturally outlive ground-based animals because they're not trapped in a 2-D predator prey arena and can always withdraw into the unreachable third dimension.

They tend to have sudden deaths rather than slow degenerative ones; they crash when trying to land on a branch (or fly through a window) and then suddenly they're on a land animal's menu toot-sweet.

I remember turning a blind corner in a country road and being shocked by a bird falling onto my windscreen from a great height where it had presumably had a circulatory event.

Let's all thank gravity for preventing the sky from filling up with dead birds.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

163Posts Today

1,606Users online

Martin's Twitter