Waiting for grant of probate

Options
I am a potential buyer of a probate property. The sellers have said that a full probate application has been submitted on 1st May 2019. This is the 6th week we are still waiting for the grant to arrive. Any inputs on this situation ? How long has it been taking currently to get the grant? Would it be wise of us to start looking for another property. All our conveyancing formalities are complete. We are ready to exchange. But still no probate. . Any comments?

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Why don't you phone the probate registry local to the property, and the seller, and ask them their current turnaround time?

It isn't centralised and they all work to different timescales based on staffing levels and volume of work.

Alternatively, phone your solicitor and ask them if they have any idea on how much longer it will be.

Obviously, if the estate is subject to IHT then HMRC are involved and that will also add extra time on to it.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • hjd
    hjd Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why don't you phone the probate registry local to the property, and the seller, and ask them their current turnaround time?

It isn't centralised and they all work to different timescales based on staffing levels and volume of work.

That's all very well, but in my case the London office don't answer the phone and an email gets the response that they aim to reply within four weeks. Not helpful. My application (with IHT involved) was submitted 28/03 and I have heard exactly nothing since.
    You may have more luck!
  • Sumanap
    Sumanap Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. I have done all of that and their solicitor and the seller herself is always saying that we are chasing the probate office and the probate solicitor. There’s no definitive answer and we are worried that it’s going to take very long. If you have applied on 28/3 and haven’t heard yet m assuming 1st May is going to take a lot of time. Although there is no taxation involved according to the seller.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How much do you want the property? There are delays at present (software glitches) and nobody can give you an accurate answer, but it would seem daft to start looking for another property if you really want this one and have already paid to get to the point of exchange.
  • Donsyb
    Donsyb Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    We are waiting for probate at the moment and have been told it has now been centralised and due to this, computer issues,:( and a huge increase in applications to avoid the price hikes there's a 3 month backlog.
  • Sumanap
    Options
    Thank you for replying. We have only paid for the searches and home buyer report. Thankfully we haven’t exchanged. We are on the look out for ank5hwr property. And will probably advise our solicitor that we may switch.
  • Sumanap
    Options
    Tha k you for your comment. If I may ask, when did you apply ?
  • GreenQueen
    GreenQueen Posts: 539 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    We put in for probate at the end of March (so 9 weeks). The Grant of probate arrived yesterday, with my name (as executor) spelt incorrectly, so now going back to get it corrected.
    2021 - mission declutter and clean - 0/2021
  • Sumanap
    Options
    Oh no. Did you apply to London probate registry?
  • GreenQueen
    GreenQueen Posts: 539 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Oxford registry, went through solicitor so disappointed they sent it on to me without picking up the error.
    2021 - mission declutter and clean - 0/2021
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport