PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Plastic free & OS ways to wrap meat for the freezer

Options
Icey77
Icey77 Posts: 1,247 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
edited 18 June 2019 at 9:54AM in Old style MoneySaving
Afternoon All,

I bulk buy chicken and freeze in individual portions, I use plastic sandwich bags for this, but lately this is bothering me.
What suggestions are there for wrapping meat or salmon or anything else for that matter that is re-usable/washable/non plastic?

Many thanks
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re probably right ~ Henry Ford

Comments

• C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Greaseproof paper?
  • dan958
    dan958 Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've been using silicone bags for lots of my storage. The ones I have are freezer, microwave, and dishwasher safe.

I haven't used them for raw meat though, but plenty of reviews on these kind of products have people using them for that purpose. You may need to squeeze all the ait out of them though.
  • Nonnadiluca
    Nonnadiluca Posts: 547 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Bags from the inside of cereal boxes
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use plastic sandwich boxes, about the same size as take away boxes. They are washable and are usable for years.
  • omendata
    omendata Posts: 102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Bags from the inside of cereal boxes

Top trumpet - me too!
    Saves another bit of plastic and they work perfectly well!
    Bread bags are especially good!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Years ago the insides of cereal boxes used to be greaseproof paper and my late ma-in-law used to save it and use when making fruit cake for lining the tins :) now she was a real MSE sort of person, having brought up my late OH and his brother during the late 1930s as a 28 year old widow.She would have loved this site bless her. To her, all most everything had some sort of reuse, recycling possibility. absolutely nothing was wasted .Even years later when she didn't need to her habits were ingrained in her
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    Your late mother-in-law sounds like my grandmother, Jackie. She used to save butter papers to use instead of greaseproof.

She and my grandfather were very careful. Everything possible was reused. Jam jars for home made jam, old clothes were cut down to make children's clothes or aprons, knitted items were unraveled and re-knitted and no food was wasted.

Toys and clothes were passed down through the family. Even our old pram after being used by several children was made into a trolley that grandad used to move piglets around his farm.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I try my best and am not too bad but would like ideas for re-use of plastic milk bottles. I already use in garden for water bottles, cut down for plant pots, labels etc and in pantry for storing pasta etc. I buy a 4 pinter and decant into small 1 pints for freezer but they are begining to overtake me. Any ideas please, but I am a disabled old person so has to be quite simple to do. Thank you.
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Whm I use them for freezing soup in!
    Living the simple life
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yes, good for soup but would have to be small ones (I only buy a small milk when YS), thanks for suggestion though, actually, I currently use a plastic tumbler or similar, with a plastic bag in it, freeze and remove bag so I can use tumbler again, your idea about milk bottles is better, could cut large ones, freeze bag inside, they would be more blocky and store better. Would never have thought of that - lateral thinking. Ta nicely. x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure