Woodford Concerns

Options

Comments

• dividendhero
    dividendhero Posts: 2,417 Forumite
    Options
    Zola. wrote: »
    Cant wait for the next HL ezine on this...

Hopefully will be better than this feeble statement from HL today..

https://www.hl.co.uk/news/articles/woodford-our-view
  • londoninvestor
    londoninvestor Posts: 1,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hopefully will be better than this feeble statement from HL today..

https://www.hl.co.uk/news/articles/woodford-our-view
    Why we removed Woodford from the Wealth 50

We don't make any investment decisions, or changes to the Wealth 50, lightly. Time, consideration and thought goes into every investment decision we make. It's what we spend our waking hours doing, and we do it because we also want to help our clients make good long-term investment decisions.

Dear me. They didn't remove the fund from their buy list until after it became physically impossible to buy it!
  • Johnnyboy11
    Johnnyboy11 Posts: 319 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    tin586 wrote: »
    There is a Dampier interview with Woodford on YouTube from about a year ago.
    It’s a bit cringeworthy.
    Will be interesting to see if HL delete it.

Do you have a link for it, I remember watching it, but can't seem to find it?
  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Malthusian wrote: »
    That's as good as the case against HL gets. In fact if I was an ambulance chaser in the US, where class action suits are possible, I might be licking my lips. But you say this was from an archive. What did it say after the allocation to unlisted cold fusion companies got ramped up?
    The archive is from September 2018, not that long ago and well after he went balls-deep into Industrial Heat.
    Rather doubt it as OEICs are allowed by legislation to have 10% overdrafts to make day-to-day buying and selling easier (see the FCA handbook) - it's not the same as gearing, which generally refers to borrow money to invest long-term.
    The handbook explicitly states that borrowing must be a short term measure - typically for less than three months, and only for the purposes you describe, rather than as part of a gearing approach or investment strategy. But WEIF had a maxed out overdraft for over two years, not to meet short term liquidity issues but as part of a long term strategy.
    A list of 50 funds is not a recommendation. If you choose one fund out of that 50 and bash all the wine gums on it that's your problem .
    HL's own page on the Wealth 150 makes it clear that it is a recommendation, specifically designed to guide investors as to which funds to invest in - "The Wealth 150 was launched in 2003 with the simple aim of helping investors to pick good quality funds for their ISA, SIPP and investment portfolio.
    I got out in 2017 so it's not "my problem", but plenty of vulnerable investors who didn't follow the dodgy antics closely and instead relied on HL/SJP to act in their best interests have been totally screwed.
    poppy10
  • MK62
    MK62 Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mark Dampier (head of HL research) apparently sold £6m worth of shares last week. I have not checked the validity of this claim I just read about it but what a scam. I mean insider trading allegations never come to anything, ever but if it's true thats a ****ing scam.

EDIT : He did indeed. ****ing joke.

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/h/hargreaves-lansdown-plc-ordinary-0.4p/director-deals

The link shows he sold these HL shares on 16th May, not last week......and perhaps it was because they were at or very near to their all time high on that date - so maybe it had nothing to do with the problems at Woodford Equity Income.
  • jamei305
    jamei305 Posts: 635 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do you have a link for it, I remember watching it, but can't seem to find it?

He asks Woodford specifically whether the unquoted companies make the fund more risky, and whether he worries about the liquidity of that part of the portfolio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aubNwZtmfdk
  • fun4everyone
    fun4everyone Posts: 2,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    MK62 wrote: »
    The link shows he sold these HL shares on 16th May, not last week......and perhaps it was because they were at or very near to their all time high on that date - so maybe it had nothing to do with the problems at Woodford Equity Income.

Hi Mark.

• Johnnyboy11
    Johnnyboy11 Posts: 319 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jamei305 wrote: »
    He asks Woodford specifically whether the unquoted companies make the fund more risky, and whether he worries about the liquidity of that part of the portfolio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aubNwZtmfdk

Thanks, but I recall another HL video specifically justifying Woodford's fund passing the cut into the Wealth 50.
  • dividendhero
    Options
    Mark Dampier (head of HL research) apparently sold £6m worth of shares last week.

Obviously Dampier was raising funds to raise his personal stake in Woodford income....possibly
  • dividendhero
    Options
    The "cold fusion" company, Industrial Heat that Woodford invested in has a rather colourful founder

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Rossi_(entrepreneur)

What on earth was he thinking of? :eek:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure