PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Gifted Deposit Letter

Options
Hi,
My parents have very kindly said they would like to gift us £10,000 towards a house we have put an offer on.
Can anybody please tell me what information needs to be in the letter they write to state it’s a gift? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You'd be best to check with whoever has asked you for the letter what they'd like it to say. But generally to say it's a gift and they don't intend to have any financial interest in the property.
  • Sammie_1985
    Sammie_1985 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.
    We haven’t been asked for the letter yet, my mortgage broker mentioned we would need one so that’s good to know there’s no rush on one at the moment.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Quite often the solicitor will send them a statement to complete and sign. This is classed as their letter and declaration.

States how much, when and that they have no interest in the property and it is not to be repaid.

Alternatively there are probably some examples online or templates
  • Sammie_1985
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.

When would be the best time for them to transfer the money to myself?
    We’ve applied for the mortgage with Santander today through our mortgage broker but I’m unsure who will ask for proof of deposit or when?
    Will Santander give us a mortgage offer without seeing our deposit?
    We’ve saved £30,000 in an isa my parents are gifting us £10,000 and we will be adding the last £2000 next week.
  • Sammie_1985
    Options
    Anyone applied for a mortgage through Santander? What are your thoughts on them?
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just checking...Are you 100% sure that they are happy to gift to you both regardless of what might happen in the future.

Is it really, really a gift that they never expect to see a penny back from, ever???

If so, that's great. We read so many stories where it isn't and it causes big problems down the road.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure