Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • x34cha
    • By x34cha 17th May 19, 4:01 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 0Thanks
    x34cha
    • 17th May 19, 4:01 PM
    Default 17th May 19 at 4:01 PM
    I was living at an address and I moved out of the property in december, 2017, I had nowhere to go at that point in time so couldn't provide an address to the housing agency as to where I was going and just wrote "N/A", fast foward 6 months and I check my credit report and find out there is a default on my account from British Gas for 700. Up until the point I moved out, my bills were paid in full, and I had 0 debt on the account, I imagined I had paid everything that I had needed too. I had no notification of debt, or notice of default, granted that I didn't give them an address. I also find it really hard to believe that I could be paying my gas bill whilst I was living there for 6 months and still end up with 700 left to pay. I was a single guy living alone and only had the heating on for 3 of the months I was living there(3months was summer time) regardless is there anything I can do about this default on my account? I want to get a morgage for a house within the next couple years and this default is the only thing on my account. Could I still get a morgage with a settled default?
Page 1
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 17th May 19, 4:19 PM
    • 4,413 Posts
    • 2,835 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 17th May 19, 4:19 PM
    • 17th May 19, 4:19 PM
    Did you inform the gas company you were moving out?

They would need a forwarding address to send you a final bill.
    This is likely what it’s for.
    • x34cha
    • By x34cha 17th May 19, 4:28 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    x34cha
    • 17th May 19, 4:28 PM
    • 17th May 19, 4:28 PM
    I didn't no, as I didnt have a forwarding address, and I imagined that my debt with them was setteld as the guy came to check the meter for the final bill whilst I was there and then I got a bill afterwards which I paid in full, but it appears they gave me another bill after that which obviously I never recieved and then eventually its caused this default. I have no issue paying off this debt, I realise that it's my issue that I didn't provide a forwarding address, however I am here to ask if there is any way I can get it removed through "no notice of debt/default".
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,676Posts Today

6,901Users online

Martin's Twitter