Continuous Payment Authority on Someone Else's card

Options
Hello, I have been searching on Google but can't find any details on a CPA set up using someone elses card. a year ago my daughter subscribed to E-Harmony who have a CPA water-tightly set up in their T&C's. She paid using her Dad's debit card. Within 2 weeks of signing up she met her now fiance (not via EHarmony) and went into the app to cancel her account. it would not let her saying she had 11 months of subscription left. being impatient and not wanting them to send any more matches she deleted the app. :Low and behold a year later they took a payment from her Dad's card. they apparently send a reminder via the inbox on the app (which she had deleted 11 months ago). She has tried appealing to them but they are having none of it and say they have acted within the T&C's however does her Dad have any recourse to say he did not give permission for the payment to be made? can someone give permission for ongoing payments on someone else's card without that other party agreeing to it? or does letting her use the card initially mean he is subject to the same conditions as she is as the account holder? any advice appreciated!

Comments

• gettingtheresometime
    Options
    In fairness to EHarmony they clearly state in the t&cs that no refund will be given if a member decides to cancel during the process though if it was within a fortnight of her joining up she could have used her 14 day cancellation rights (but she needed to cancel in the correct manner).

Personally I never understand why people think cancelling the app/dd is the same as giving the correct notice.
  • Rosieh95
    Rosieh95 Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fair point, and yes she should have cancelled via the correct method - however the key question remains. Do they have authority to charge her Dad's card under a CPA as it was she who signed up for the service? By allowing her to use his card for the initial payment does that give ongoing authority for a CPA?
  • Socajam
    Socajam Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Rosieh95 wrote: »
    Fair point, and yes she should have cancelled via the correct method - however the key question remains. Do they have authority to charge her Dad's card under a CPA as it was she who signed up for the service? By allowing her to use his card for the initial payment does that give ongoing authority for a CPA?

Yes, it does, permission was given. I doubt she will get her money back, but there is no harm in trying.
    The stupid thing she did was to delete the app which is used to cancel the subscription once the year was up.
    She should have use her calendar on her phone to set up a reminder closer to the date when the subscription would have renewed to cancel this subscription for any future payment.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Seems to me there are two choices:

1. Dad gave daughter permission to use the card, so CPA is valid. (Dad really ought to have warned daughter to check T&Cs or done so himself), or

2. Daughter has committed a criminal offence - call the police!
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    Seems to me there are two choices:

1. Dad gave daughter permission to use the card, so CPA is valid. (Dad really ought to have warned daughter to check T&Cs or done so himself), or

2. Daughter has committed a criminal offence - call the police!

3. Next time arrange a Blind Date inn the Dog and Hound!
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Its not a simple answer.

The dad might be able to get it refunded by his bank/FoS if he didn't authorise anything more than the initial payment but that won't necessarily stop your daughter owing eharmony.

Get her to pay dad back and everyone's square. Bonus if daughter learns lesson in making sure you read what you're agreeing/ensure you cancel services properly.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Potbellypig
    Potbellypig Posts: 775 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Its not a simple answer.

The dad might be able to get it refunded by his bank/FoS if he didn't authorise anything more than the initial payment but that won't necessarily stop your daughter owing eharmony.

Get her to pay dad back and everyone's square. Bonus if daughter learns lesson in making sure you read what you're agreeing/ensure you cancel services properly.

Exactly. Daughter needs to learn that Daddy can't bail her out and needs to accept responsibility. She should be paying Daddy back and learning that simply deleting an app doesn't cancel a subscription (I can't believe I'm actually typing that bit).
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

There is a clue in the name if you think about it for 5 seconds:- Continuous Payment Authority.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure