Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 15th May 19, 7:22 PM
    • 4,899Posts
    • 4,600Thanks
    dekaspace
    Wash or chuck old pillows?
    • 15th May 19, 7:22 PM
    Wash or chuck old pillows? 15th May 19 at 7:22 PM
    My pillows are years old, id say more 5 years though I bought a few 2 years ago.

I get worse allergies every year and it came to me last night that I only wash my pillows about once a year! and when I lie on them if I put my face on the part of pillow which isn't covered by a pillowcase I get itchy eyes, and my most common allergy is itchy ears.

Is it a case of old pillows that need chucked? Or can they be saved by something like a bleach/soda crystal wash?
Page 1
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 15th May 19, 7:36 PM
    • 24,624 Posts
    • 28,503 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    • 15th May 19, 7:36 PM
    • 15th May 19, 7:36 PM
    Old bedding has affected my allergies in the past.

You would have to wash the pillows repeatedly to eliminate all dust/ dust mites/ dust mite poop/ any other built up gunk. Chances are the pillow structure would not survive.

Start again with new pillows and a washable anti-allergy pillow protector under your regular pillowcases. Consider using an anti- allergy mattress protector under your fitted sheet and changing your laundry powder/ softener.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️ Trainee Rosie the Riveter.
    • oystercatcher
    • By oystercatcher 15th May 19, 7:38 PM
    • 1,827 Posts
    • 4,641 Thanks
    oystercatcher
    • 15th May 19, 7:38 PM
    • 15th May 19, 7:38 PM
    You can wash pillows although I'm not sure any dust that is right in the centre will be washed out. They can be difficult to dry properly and if they are left damp then mould can breed.

The other problem I find is that pillows go quite lumpy and weird shaped after washing, they never seem quite the same.

It's worth a try washing them on a really sunny day when you can get them dry quickly.

The best tip is to use pillow protectors and wash them very regularly, if you haven't seen them they are usually sold with other bedding, like a pillowcase but with a thin layer of padding. They really help absorb sweat and dribble which are what dust mites feed on. If you have allergies I would say have two sets of pillow protectors and change them every time you change the pillowcase.
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 15th May 19, 7:41 PM
    • 1,437 Posts
    • 2,495 Thanks
    rach_k
    • 15th May 19, 7:41 PM
    • 15th May 19, 7:41 PM
    If you're going to replace them anyway, you may as well try washing them first and see if it works. If it doesn't, buy new ones and you're no worse off.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 15th May 19, 7:47 PM
    • 2,261 Posts
    • 1,900 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 15th May 19, 7:47 PM
    • 15th May 19, 7:47 PM
    I recomend getting decent pillows.

https://dunlopillo.co.uk/pillows/

I use the Super Comfort but the Serenity Deluxe is the same if you prefer a thinner one.

No they are not cheap. IME the latex takes just over 10 years to break down. You will feel bumps when it does!

They come with washable protectors already on.

I have bad allergies and they are great! (they are better than the allergy ones they sell).

Used to be sold in argos, but if you want a shop it's not bensons or john lewis i believe.

Nothing worse than cheap pillows. Or buying the wrong sort of cheap pillow for your sleeping style.
    • Organza_Lace
    • By Organza_Lace 15th May 19, 7:49 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 6,274 Thanks
    Organza_Lace
    • 15th May 19, 7:49 PM
    • 15th May 19, 7:49 PM
    Ive never had much success with washing pillows. However, we invested in a pair of Dunlopillows when we bought our bed. After spending £60 each im definately not going to chance putting them in the washer however, i do periodically tumble dry them to get out any loose dust and ive been known to freeze them too, just to kill off any dust mites.... i cant freeze the mattress but that gets vacuumed once a week when i change the bedding.
    We canít help everyone, but everyone can help someone Ė John Lennon
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 15th May 19, 8:15 PM
    • 977 Posts
    • 1,177 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 15th May 19, 8:15 PM
    • 15th May 19, 8:15 PM
    I've washed pillows before, but as said above they are never the same again.

I now relegate them as pet beds and buy new ones.

When it's time to replace the new ones, they get relegated to the pets and their old ones get binned.

You could always try pillow protectors.
    • maman
    • By maman 15th May 19, 10:11 PM
    • 19,773 Posts
    • 118,164 Thanks
    maman
    • 15th May 19, 10:11 PM
    • 15th May 19, 10:11 PM
    Not sure what you mean about putting your face where there isn't a pillow case. Do you mean your pillow pokes out? If so, you definitely need pillow protectors.

I'd agree, try washing them you've got nothing to lose.
    • Mistral001
    • By Mistral001 16th May 19, 8:51 AM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 2,839 Thanks
    Mistral001
    • 16th May 19, 8:51 AM
    • 16th May 19, 8:51 AM
    Yes they can be washed.

To avoid clumping unstitch the cover and wash the filling by hand (I am assuming polyester filling) . The cover can then be washed by machine. If the cover is a yellowish colour from sweat staining, then soak in a solution of white vinegar for a few hours before washing in the machine. Then dry cover and filling, insert filling into the cover and sew it up.

Unstitching the cover can be avoided by making temporary "buttons" (like in a old leather sofa) using a needle and thread. Three along the centre should be sufficient. I have made these permanent without noticing them in use, but some people might not be such heavy sleepers as I.

PS. Make sure you thoroughly rinse the filling and not use fabric soften on it. Also try to use a washing powder which does not contain large amounts of scent.
    Last edited by Mistral001; 16-05-2019 at 9:02 AM.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 16th May 19, 9:07 AM
    • 4,899 Posts
    • 4,600 Thanks
    dekaspace
    I forgot to be more clear in original post, I like to put 2 pillows in a case so they are thick as I like a lot of neck support and lie on my side a lot too. this means theres a gap at side of pillowcase, I noticed last night when I went to bed lying back flat I didn't notice any irritation the second I lay on one side my throat and eyes were itchy.

I have liquid tabs, I normally use white vinegar as a fabric conditioner whats best to wash these with? I have soda crystals and bleach, there is some yellowing on a few pillows but not all.
    • Mistral001
    • By Mistral001 16th May 19, 9:17 AM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 2,839 Thanks
    Mistral001
    I have liquid tabs, I normally use white vinegar as a fabric conditioner whats best to wash these with? I have soda crystals and bleach, there is some yellowing on a few pillows but not all.
    Originally posted by dekaspace
    I have also used bleach as well as white vinegar on some of the very stained covers. Note you must use the vinegar and bleach separately and NOT mix them as if you mix them chlorine gas is produced. So soak in vinegar and water, wash and rinse and then soak in bleach and water and then wash and rinse. All seems a long process but it is quite satisfying to see the amazing transformation.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 16th May 19, 11:11 AM
    • 9,293 Posts
    • 31,059 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    As an even cheaper & possibly more eco alternative, stick the yellowed bits in strong direct sunlight for a few hours.

Where allergies are in play though, try everything but be prepared to buy new. (Then spend a few disturbed nights getting used to the new pillows.)
    • Gers
    • By Gers 16th May 19, 11:12 AM
    • 7,308 Posts
    • 49,773 Thanks
    Gers
    I remember being told that if your pillow folds in half over your arm then it's time to get rid as it's full of mite poo which weighs it down!
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 16th May 19, 11:20 AM
    • 24,624 Posts
    • 28,503 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    I forgot to be more clear in original post, I like to put 2 pillows in a case so they are thick as I like a lot of neck support and lie on my side a lot too. this means theres a gap at side of pillowcase, I noticed last night when I went to bed lying back flat I didn't notice any irritation the second I lay on one side my throat and eyes were itchy.
    It really does sound like you need a different type of/ much more supportive or dense/ different shape pillows. If you cannot properly cover your pillows you have no chance of keeping them clean and healthy.

You were wondering whether to "treat yourself" a little while ago. Why not invest in new bedding that could benefit your health several times over? Improve your sleep quality AND substantially reduce your exposure to allergens. The two are strongly linked via inflammation.

If you need convincing that it is worthwhile, perhaps research the advice from asthma and allergy charities/ healthcare organisations on how often to replace bedding? And perhaps research experts' advice how to best maintain them and extend their life?

BTW thank you. My sofa needs a really thorough clean out, and you have motivated me not to just lie here feeling rubbish .
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️ Trainee Rosie the Riveter.
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 16th May 19, 11:34 AM
    • 414 Posts
    • 3,469 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    I buy new pillows every May usually 2 or 4 as they are packed in 2's. I examine all pillows on all beds and throw the worst 2/4 so every one of them gets replaced regularly. I never wash them as it's never successful. I have 1DB and 2 SB so with 2 pillows per side it works quite well. I don't think I would want to sleep on 5yo pillows and by the sound of it yours have gone very flat.
    61/66 clothing coupons
    • Mistral001
    • By Mistral001 16th May 19, 11:45 AM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 2,839 Thanks
    Mistral001

Maybe the problem is the way you are rinsing the pillows. They are big items and will need a lot of rinsing. Try rinsing them twice and do not put fabric softener in the any of the rinses.
    Last edited by Mistral001; 16-05-2019 at 11:48 AM.
    • carriebradshaw
    • By carriebradshaw 16th May 19, 9:34 PM
    • 1,335 Posts
    • 3,546 Thanks
    carriebradshaw
    I vacuum my pillows every week when I change the pillowcase s using the upholstery attachment on my hoover . I have hay fever and if I don't wash my hair before bed every night in Spring & Summer the pollen from my hair rubs off on the pillows and I get itchy eyes, nose & throat. It's a pain but got to be done. My eyes also swell up and I look like I've been boxing , not a great look 😣
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 17th May 19, 9:39 AM
    • 4,899 Posts
    • 4,600 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Thanks for all responses sorry obviously due to the allergies (currently got a temp inhaler) not had much chance to sort the pillows yet so will wash them tomorrow.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 17th May 19, 11:28 AM
    • 8,116 Posts
    • 6,938 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Try oxygen bleach for the stains to either soak or add to the washing machine powder drawer.
    I always use pillow protectors which are much easier to wash than pillows. Try using two pillow cases with the openings at opposite ends to hold two pillows.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,222Posts Today

6,316Users online

Martin's Twitter