Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • agreen190
    • By agreen190 15th May 19, 2:15 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    agreen190
    Don't know where to start with renovating FTB
    • 15th May 19, 2:15 PM
    Don't know where to start with renovating FTB 15th May 19 at 2:15 PM
    Hi all.

(sorry, I had to remove links)

I'm wondering if you can help.

I'm looking to purchase
    rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-61976883.html

Here is a picture of the rear
    imgur.com/a7lBEzz

This is the floorplan:
    imgur.com/pjpaScQ
    I want to knock out the arrowed wall and utilise this space to add on to the kitchen

Here is a picture of the outdoor rooms
    imgur.com/A861I28
    and
    imgur.com/w2o1dh2

Here is the neighbouring building:
    zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/50466100

Here is a picture of the rear showing their extension for comparison:
    imgur.com/b2oLHHl

This is what I want to do:
    1-renovate the bathroom (it has an old boiler about 1m20 tall with 70cm diameter in a corner) like this:
    victoriaplum-images-1.imgix.net/uploads/8729ac37-4452-49b5-aeb0-798e2c27fb67.jpg
    2-replace gas fires to central heating
    3-install a basic kitchen with cooker on the wall to outside (to allow minimum corners on extractor fan)

What costs am I looking at in worst case scenario?

3,000 total rewiring of electrics
    3,000 converting to gas central heating (does this include boiler replacement?)
    3,000 bathroom conversion
    3,000 basic kitchen.

Are my estimates accurate? How much approximately am I looking at in breaking the wall? Do I need planning permission?

Thanks for any assistance.
    Last edited by agreen190; 15-05-2019 at 3:16 PM.
Page 1
    • Bossypants
    • By Bossypants 15th May 19, 2:45 PM
    • 864 Posts
    • 1,696 Thanks
    Bossypants
    • 15th May 19, 2:45 PM
    • 15th May 19, 2:45 PM
    I can't say anything about your particular plans, but I have just finished up a full conversion of a 2 bed bungalow (i.e. everything on one floor). The full rewire was around 4000 and the new central heating system (including new combi boiler, new radiators, and stripping out all the existing) was around 6000. I also took out some external walls, the cost of the structural stuff was around 1000, plus the interior cosmetics (don't know the price of that as we were doing a full overhaul anyway).

I'd also been expecting figures more like yours, suffice to say my kitchen and bathroom renovations has been postponed a bit! Having said that, it was definitely worth doing and I don't mind living with an old kitchen and bathroom for a couple of years in exchange. I just put some lino down to make it more sanitary and gave it a very good scrubbing.
    • markin
    • By markin 15th May 19, 2:49 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    markin
    • 15th May 19, 2:49 PM
    • 15th May 19, 2:49 PM
    Double it, And no the boiler alone will be around 3k and then rads and pipes work possibly another 3K.

Looks at least 10K Overpriced.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-61976883.html

Here is a picture of the rear
    https://imgur.com/a7lBEzz

This is the floorplan:
    I want to knock out the arrowed wall and utilise this space to add on to the kitchen
    https://imgur.com/pjpaScQ

Here is a picture of the outdoor rooms
    https://imgur.com/A861I28
    https://imgur.com/w2o1dh2

Here is the neighbouring building:
    www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/50466100

Here is a picture of the rear showing their extension for comparison:
    https://imgur.com/b2oLHHl

This is what I want to do:
    1-renovate the bathroom (it has an old boiler about 1m20 tall with 70cm diameter in a corner) like this:

ERROR, cant display, Hotlink protected?

victoriaplum-images-1.imgix.net/uploads/8729ac37-4452-49b5-aeb0-798e2c27fb67.jpg

Last edited by markin; 15-05-2019 at 3:07 PM.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 15th May 19, 3:00 PM
    • 11,661 Posts
    • 15,571 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 15th May 19, 3:00 PM
    • 15th May 19, 3:00 PM
    Is this to live in or flip?

Two similar properties (but nicer looking outside and inside) sold for 210k and 223,500 within the last couple of years so I'd want it for a good price, or you might as well spend 20k more and get one already done. You'll be spending more like 20k on what you've listed. If you're fitting the kitchen and bathroom yourself, it'll knock a substantial chunk off. Carpets, possible plastering and decor will obviously be on top too.
    2019 wins: Bottle of Prosecco; Popcorn Shed popcorn...
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 15th May 19, 3:06 PM
    • 1,475 Posts
    • 1,773 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 15th May 19, 3:06 PM
    • 15th May 19, 3:06 PM
    That a full electrical rewire needed so on top of your other predictions I would allow for plastering or reskimming in all rooms...it will make it a lot easier going forward.

6 years ago I did a full refurb of something that looked in that type of condition ...ended up spending circa 40k,a mixture of trades and DIY to keep the costings down

The beauty of a ripe property is the more you unpeel of the layers the more work you will find....
    Last edited by need an answer; 15-05-2019 at 3:11 PM.
    in S 19 T 6 F 27
    out S 26 T 9 F 25
    2017 -32 2018 -33
    • agreen190
    • By agreen190 15th May 19, 3:13 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    agreen190
    • 15th May 19, 3:13 PM
    • 15th May 19, 3:13 PM
    Thanks all. I need to get on the property ladder to live. I thought this could be a good investment but 20k is a LOT and not worth the potential (considering stamp duty for the next property I live in).

I'm not sure if full re-wire is needed, I'm just thinking of worst case scenario.
    Last edited by agreen190; 15-05-2019 at 3:18 PM.
    • markin
    • By markin 15th May 19, 3:52 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    markin
    • 15th May 19, 3:52 PM
    • 15th May 19, 3:52 PM
    Thanks all. I need to get on the property ladder to live. I thought this could be a good investment but 20k is a LOT and not worth the potential (considering stamp duty for the next property I live in).

I'm not sure if full re-wire is needed, I'm just thinking of worst case scenario.
    Originally posted by agreen190

I count 4 double sockets in the entire house, All surface mounted, the work involved will likely be equal to a full rewire.

The outside back wall may also need some re-pointing in parts near the roof.

The front bay roof also needs work, I only spotted it on street view.
    Last edited by markin; 15-05-2019 at 3:59 PM.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 15th May 19, 4:04 PM
    • 1,475 Posts
    • 1,773 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 15th May 19, 4:04 PM
    • 15th May 19, 4:04 PM

Originally posted by agreen190
    A full rewire will be needed ...looking at that kitchen if you want more than a couple of sockets,and something substantial for a cooker connection,youll be better off rewiring.

That property has had nothing done to it in around 40 years.

20K and some needs investing there to bring it up to date
    in S 19 T 6 F 27
    out S 26 T 9 F 25
    2017 -32 2018 -33
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 15th May 19, 9:21 PM
    • 5,961 Posts
    • 9,393 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 15th May 19, 9:21 PM
    • 15th May 19, 9:21 PM
    Buy one that someone else has done it will work out cheaper.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 16th May 19, 2:38 PM
    • 11,839 Posts
    • 10,298 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    You want to spend all that money, yet are ignoring the "elephant in the room" - the bathroom is accessed via the 2nd bedroom.

If you want to extend the kitchen you will have to either demolish build anew or extensively rebuild the 2 outbuildings. It is pointless just doing one, hardly any space gained.

If next door is worth 215K (3 beds, but bed 3 accessed via bed 2 and GF bathroom) and "yours" 190K, you need to be looking at paying 170K max, to make economic sense.

I would look for something with a better layout and in better condition
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 16th May 19, 3:25 PM
    • 11,661 Posts
    • 15,571 Thanks
    hazyjo
    You want to spend all that money, yet are ignoring the "elephant in the room" - the bathroom is accessed via the 2nd bedroom.
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    *facepalm* - even I missed that, and the first thing I look at is the floorplan! Ta.
    • Section106
    • By Section106 16th May 19, 3:58 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Section106
    *facepalm* - even I missed that, and the first thing I look at is the floorplan! Ta.
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    Fortunately the layout lends itself to partitioning bedroom 2 to give corridor access to the bathroom.

I was more alarmed that someone had found the need to put pipe insulation on various pipes in the kitchen and bathroom. Understandable if they have hot water in them... but the supply to the toilet? Condensation and icicles come to mind.

Also, the external brickwork at the rear is in poor condition with serious spalling, especially the corner on the left hand side of this picture https://imgur.com/w2o1dh2.

OP, you need to include the costs of getting building regulations approval for the changes you are thinking about.

The back end of terrace houses like this one are often built with a single skin of bricks (possibly explaining the need for pipe insulation). The wall you want to remove may be helping to support the bathroom floor and the other walls might not be strong enough to take additional loading (especially if they are single thickness and taking into account the condition). lincroft1710 is right that you may find yourself needing to demolish and rebuild to achieve your objective, and the economics of that probably don't stack up.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 16th May 19, 4:14 PM
    • 11,661 Posts
    • 15,571 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Fortunately the layout lends itself to partitioning bedroom 2 to give corridor access to the bathroom.
    Originally posted by Section106
    Did notice that, but would still mean me writing it off as it would turn that middle bedroom into prob just under 8' wide. If it was a 3 bed, it'd be worth it. But definitely not a 2 bed.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 16th May 19, 4:21 PM
    • 7,938 Posts
    • 53,314 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Even without the issues such as layout, my friend is in the middle of renovating a very similar property (albeit 3 bed with the bathroom downstairs) in a different area of of the same kind of age and yes, a full rewire was needed (not planned for but discovered after a random socket blew all the electrics incl the supply to the boiler...new boiler was also needed).

Plan for the worst in these scenarios, then if you manage to have left in your budget, great, if not, you're not surprised.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• need an answer
    • By need an answer 16th May 19, 4:26 PM
    • 1,475 Posts
    • 1,773 Thanks
    need an answer
    I've got one of those houses where the bathroom is off the bedroom...we did a jack and jill corridor but other neighbours have made ensuites on the first floor and then converted the loft into a separate studio with bathroom.then theres always still the option of the downstairs shower room.

Whilst it may sound cramped the floor plan sizes are still more generous in the older properties than in some new builds.

Having said all that...if I was the OP I would still be looking for a property that doesn't need so much work
    in S 19 T 6 F 27
    out S 26 T 9 F 25
    2017 -32 2018 -33
    • Section106
    • By Section106 16th May 19, 4:35 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Section106
    Did notice that, but would still mean me writing it off as it would turn that middle bedroom into prob just under 8' wide. If it was a 3 bed, it'd be worth it. But definitely not a 2 bed.
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    Agreed, especially as the bedroom comes with a large chimney breast.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,912Posts Today

6,389Users online

Martin's Twitter