Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 13th May 19, 6:15 PM
    • 1,025Posts
    • 150Thanks
    Jlawson118
    Finding it absolutely impossible to find a new job!?
    • 13th May 19, 6:15 PM
    Finding it absolutely impossible to find a new job!? 13th May 19 at 6:15 PM
    I studied Media Production at university, graduated last July with a 2:1 and was hoping to perhaps go into something with Media/Marketing. At the beginning of my third year, I took out a part time job for a well known parcel firm doing some warehouse work for some extra money, to which I'm still working here, and will mark two years this August.

I started being unhappy in the job last Summer and I've been sending applications all over the place for general jobs like my current one, and graduate schemes in various areas. I've saved all my application confirmation emails in a folder and there's a total of 93 since last July. To which out of all of them, I've had 3 interviews.

I've had my CV looked at by professionals, made the small changes they recommended, still applying at various places either logistics related or media related to my job, and quite frankly I just feel so stuck! My current employers cut my hours down in the new year, and are just continuously making a ridiculous amount of cuts elsewhere. It's become a very stressful job to work for, and just doesn't help with the stress that I can't find anything else either!

Any advice?
Page 1
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 13th May 19, 6:38 PM
    • 968 Posts
    • 1,157 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 13th May 19, 6:38 PM
    • 13th May 19, 6:38 PM
    Are your CV and covering letter matched to each role you are applying for?

As your hours have been cut can you get any work experience in media/marketing so you gain experience?

What types of companies are you applying for when doing the media / marketing applications?

Is your CV on any job sites for recruitment to see?

What job sites are you looking at?
    • jonnygee2
    • By jonnygee2 13th May 19, 6:53 PM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 1,256 Thanks
    jonnygee2
    • 13th May 19, 6:53 PM
    • 13th May 19, 6:53 PM
    perhaps go into something with Media/Marketing.
    This is pretty broad which is probably part of the problem.

How about applying for almost any entry level office based role? 'sales administrator' or office support assistant' might not be your dream job, but its a much more likely step up from that to marketing exec or something.

Go for a fairly big company where there might be room to grow, as horizontal job leaps are much more common internally than externally.
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 13th May 19, 7:20 PM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 3,124 Thanks
    nicechap
    • 13th May 19, 7:20 PM
    • 13th May 19, 7:20 PM
    Maybe widen your search criteria?

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5922443
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered youíll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ĎLetís Make it Fair!í tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 13th May 19, 7:23 PM
    • 3,555 Posts
    • 1,884 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 13th May 19, 7:23 PM
    • 13th May 19, 7:23 PM
    The different parcel companies aren't to be swapped to - it can be worked out which one I worked for and as a example ukmale as one other type of firm in that avenue would never ever entertain applications from me as a Customer Service Rep like the company saw me as just a big X, I was never to be responded to either.

Recently I interviewed for a sales job/appointment maker for a service/product close to my heart with potential for sideways progression to Scheduler when I learnt what the other half of their business done when in the room - I was the late sourced but ended up favourite candidate although it wasn't until they walked me out I realised some just make no effort when they get the interview opportunity, I couldn't believe it when I saw the next candidate due in and what they were wearing! The agency who arranged this interview were then going through all their clients to place me (a media call centre agreeing to see me a third time from over the years, not joking) so maybe try building good active relations with recruitment placers.

This said, I've known a couple of companies simply fish in these times I'm afraid. Again that is turning it to your advantage (interview practise) keep the pecker up. I'm sure it will come good soon. Enjoy the interviews you do get. I saw my stats from one site as 28 jobs applied for in one period of 30 days recently. (less then handful converted to interviews)
    Last edited by keepcalmandstayoutofdebt; 13-05-2019 at 7:24 PM. Reason: .
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • BookmobileBadGirl
    • By BookmobileBadGirl 13th May 19, 7:34 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    BookmobileBadGirl
    • 13th May 19, 7:34 PM
    • 13th May 19, 7:34 PM
    93 since last July only works out to about 10 applications a month, you will need to up this.

As JohnnyG said, your area of interest is very broad focus in and decide what you want to be doing.

You should still have access to the employability services at your university. Get in contact with them, practice interviews, look at your CV and cover letters, help you refine your searches etc.
    Currently (02/04/2019) £63,453 Aim (05/11/2021) £50,000

Mortgage - Shared Ownership 25% £75,300 - MF December 2051 December 2044
    • ACG
    • By ACG 13th May 19, 7:37 PM
    • 18,843 Posts
    • 10,430 Thanks
    ACG
    • 13th May 19, 7:37 PM
    • 13th May 19, 7:37 PM
    Apply to companies who may not be advertising.

I once took a lad on who sent me his CV out of the blue. I also know in the past my mum has been given 2 jobs when applying for jobs which were not advertised.

Could you maybe go self employed and do it around your other job? You could build up a portfolio and contacts in the industry and maybe get a job in a year or 2?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 13th May 19, 8:39 PM
    • 5,786 Posts
    • 7,145 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 13th May 19, 8:39 PM
    • 13th May 19, 8:39 PM
    Why should a company employ you rather than one of the other 20 - 200 people who apply? You need a good answer to this in your mind so you can lead them to this same answer. Can you find ways to increase what you have to offer an employer?

Are you tied to a location?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 13th May 19, 9:57 PM
    • 4,327 Posts
    • 11,512 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 13th May 19, 9:57 PM
    • 13th May 19, 9:57 PM
    As a recent graduate are you applying for jobs locally or nationally? Are you prepared to relocate? As you have stayed in the city where you studied have you been back to your university to ask for career help? Are you in contact with any of your fellow students who have gained roles in your field who could advise you/ give you a heads up 're openings with their employers?
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 14th May 19, 5:44 AM
    • 4,996 Posts
    • 6,992 Thanks
    74jax
    In your other thread you said you thought the job you were interviewing for would start at 7am due to shifts.

What media / marketing are you looking at? We often have marketing jobs up - I work in housebuilding and know of many others but this is office work, what kind is it you want?

Are you on LinkedIn, connecting with people etc.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 14th May 19, 6:30 AM
    • 6,366 Posts
    • 7,068 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    How many people have graduated with similar or better results in the same subject and how many jobs are there in that sector of the market? You probably need to look at widening your job search outside that sector. Many of the skills learnt on any university course are transferable to other areas.
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 15th May 19, 7:46 AM
    • 5,158 Posts
    • 4,259 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    Sounds like you need to have a big think about how all the marketing and media skills you used at University can be used to market yourself.

In a previous job we hired a digital marketing chap who sent us some videos he had made of one of our products which were better than what we were producing in-house. In a competitive jobs market, you really need to show example of the work you have done. Saying "I studied it at Uni" isn't good enough. Do you have your own website or social media outlet where you can show off your work? Maybe contact some local independent businesses to see if you can do some one-off work for them in order to build a portfolio.
    • Tanvisane
    • By Tanvisane 15th May 19, 12:18 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tanvisane
    Excellent thread! I got valuable information here...Thank you!
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 15th May 19, 12:33 PM
    • 6,989 Posts
    • 5,503 Thanks
    ohreally
    Excellent thread! I got valuable information here...Thank you!
    Originally posted by Tanvisane
    Avoid a media degree?
    Donít be a canít, be a can.
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 17th May 19, 5:47 PM
    • 1,025 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    Are your CV and covering letter matched to each role you are applying for?

As your hours have been cut can you get any work experience in media/marketing so you gain experience?

What types of companies are you applying for when doing the media / marketing applications?

Is your CV on any job sites for recruitment to see?

What job sites are you looking at?
    Originally posted by MovingForwards
    Apologises for the late response here! Struggling to find work experience in any of the areas. I'm struggling to generally find the work experience within the industry. It was the reason I went to university in the first place, for the experience opposed to the degree, and they promised a lot of it but they didn't deliver. But nevertheless I keep looking!

I've been looking at general independent businesses but a lot of them when looking at the small print require mostly sales/telesales when in reality my degree involved more the creative side of marketing, not so much 'sales'

I've got my CV on LinkedIn, Monster and also Indeed. (Which also answers your final question of the sites I use to look for jobs) But I get the odd email once or twice a month from recruitment agencies trying to get me into some kind of telesales/door-to-door sales roles. I rarely even get offered anything related to my current job, let alone my degree. Apart from once I got a phone call with regards to a management role for a logistics company which an agency spoke to me about but then never rang me back.
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 17th May 19, 5:49 PM
    • 1,025 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    Avoid a media degree?
    Originally posted by ohreally
    Avoid most degrees to be honest, I regret going to university so much! £30,000 in student debt just to be stuck in a dead end job. It's more the lies I believed before joining to draw me in that I think winds me up the most.
    Funny thing is, most of my class are also stuck in retail or other such jobs, when they used to give me issues for having a part time job on the side.
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 17th May 19, 5:58 PM
    • 1,025 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    In your other thread you said you thought the job you were interviewing for would start at 7am due to shifts.

What media / marketing are you looking at? We often have marketing jobs up - I work in housebuilding and know of many others but this is office work, what kind is it you want?

Are you on LinkedIn, connecting with people etc.
    Originally posted by 74jax
    My other thread regarding commute time back in November? I made it to a final interview stage but unfortunately didn't get the job! Even though it sounded quite positive. I'd aced the interview but don't think I'd done so well in the assessment centre side of things.

I'm generally looking for the creative side of things such as advertisements, or working towards more of a business strategy kind of marketing, analysing data and figuring out from that data, what attracts customers and working towards that kind of thing. My main degree was more targeted towards video and film production, but I took a lot of joy into learning a little bit of app development by myself (creating a prototype more than an app itself)

I am on LinkedIn and I've connected with a fair few people over time, but I've posted the odd job search post and explained my dilemma but haven't really had a great deal of responses, apart from logistics companies telling me to jump on their graduate/apprenticeship schemes, but they're either unavailable to apply for or they're based quite far away
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 17th May 19, 6:02 PM
    • 1,025 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    As a recent graduate are you applying for jobs locally or nationally? Are you prepared to relocate? As you have stayed in the city where you studied have you been back to your university to ask for career help? Are you in contact with any of your fellow students who have gained roles in your field who could advise you/ give you a heads up 're openings with their employers?
    Originally posted by LilElvis
    I'm mainly applying locally, which could be very much the issue now that I look at the bigger picture! Though I am open to relocate if the right offer was to become available, but I do have family where I am now that I care for and need to be around (my grandma and frequent hospital appointments for example, though my mum and step-dad are on hand a lot of the time) But I've also just got into a new relationship, in which we have discussed things and she's said she would be open to a long-distance relationship for now if it ever came to it.

Other students on my course are either in similar jobs at the moment, or I think a few are doing Masters Degrees. I got in on a Masters degree in International Business & Management, but deferred a year to try and find a job instead. Quite frankly I don't think I'm ready to go through yet another degree, but might be my only option
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 17th May 19, 6:20 PM
    • 968 Posts
    • 1,157 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    Widen your search!

Look at law firms and universities as both have media / marketing roles and staff. I would imagine accountancy firms and property businesses would also have a dedicated marketing team. Banks and building societies may be worth a look at.

Small / independent companies will want someone who can hit the ground running.

You don't need a degree, you have enough theory now you need the practice. You need to get your foot in the door and work your way up or across. See if you can get admin work somewhere that has a marketing department, get mingling at staff events, keep your ear to the ground and an eye on their vacancies so you can move across from admin into marketing admin then work upwards. You mention analysis of data, again look at where I've pointed to for the media and advertising side of things; as you've a business paper under your belt look at finance, research companies as grants applications need putting together to fund the research which involves a dedicated team who are analysing info and data, preparing and costing everything needed for one si glad research grant application to be made.

Don't rule out call centre work as it's giving you a pay packet, additional skills to add on your CV and you never know where that leads.

Oh and them job sites, nah! Look at R££D instead, most people who are recruiting advertise on that.

It's so easy to dismiss many roles and places, without thinking of the bigger picture and what it can do to help you get to the end result.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 17th May 19, 6:28 PM
    • 5,786 Posts
    • 7,145 Thanks
    theoretica
    I'm generally looking for the creative side of things such as advertisements, or working towards more of a business strategy kind of marketing, analysing data and figuring out from that data, what attracts customers and working towards that kind of thing. My main degree was more targeted towards video and film production, but I took a lot of joy into learning a little bit of app development by myself (creating a prototype more than an app itself)
    Originally posted by Jlawson118

So... why not produce a film as an open job application and try to get it to appeal to people without jobs to offer so it spreads on social media. Volunteer for charities to produce advertising for them and analyse what works to enhance your CV.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,831Posts Today

6,571Users online

Martin's Twitter