Bathroom extractor fan location

About to install a new extractor fan for our first floor bathroom. We are deciding which type, either wall mounted or ceiling fan. The shower will directly be on the outside wall so a wall mounted fan seems the most intuitive.

I've read it's much better to have an inline fan mounted on the loft. Currently the loft is, well, a loft, but we plan to do a loft conversion in a few months. Can such a fan still be mounted there or will it interfere with the conversion?

Thanks

Comments

• Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,373 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Wall mount, the only difficulty is hiding the wiring. A fan isolator should be fitted outside the room (above the door is normally the spot) get a fan that comes on with the light and runs on after it goes off, if damp or mould is an issue get a fan with a humidistat.
  • Dedekind
    Dedekind Posts: 224 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks
    Is it normal to have two switches, one for the lights and one for the fan? I haven't seen this much in the UK but I've seen in elsewhere. It's quite handy since no need for the fan to come on in the middle of the night for a 30 seconds visit to the loo..
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,373 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Easy enough to add a pull cord if you want a fan switch. Wall switch a lot more work.
  • andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Opposite the door , location is more important than flow
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure