Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dedekind
    • By Dedekind 16th Apr 19, 8:40 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Dedekind
    Bathroom extractor fan location
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:40 PM
    Bathroom extractor fan location 16th Apr 19 at 8:40 PM
    About to install a new extractor fan for our first floor bathroom. We are deciding which type, either wall mounted or ceiling fan. The shower will directly be on the outside wall so a wall mounted fan seems the most intuitive.

I've read it's much better to have an inline fan mounted on the loft. Currently the loft is, well, a loft, but we plan to do a loft conversion in a few months. Can such a fan still be mounted there or will it interfere with the conversion?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 16th Apr 19, 9:51 PM
    • 2,360 Posts
    • 3,503 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:51 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:51 PM
    Wall mount, the only difficulty is hiding the wiring. A fan isolator should be fitted outside the room (above the door is normally the spot) get a fan that comes on with the light and runs on after it goes off, if damp or mould is an issue get a fan with a humidistat.
    • Dedekind
    • By Dedekind 16th Apr 19, 10:07 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Dedekind
    • 16th Apr 19, 10:07 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 10:07 PM
    Thanks
    Is it normal to have two switches, one for the lights and one for the fan? I haven't seen this much in the UK but I've seen in elsewhere. It's quite handy since no need for the fan to come on in the middle of the night for a 30 seconds visit to the loo..
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 19th Apr 19, 10:18 AM
    • 2,360 Posts
    • 3,503 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 19th Apr 19, 10:18 AM
    • 19th Apr 19, 10:18 AM
    Easy enough to add a pull cord if you want a fan switch. Wall switch a lot more work.
    • andyhop
    • By andyhop 21st Apr 19, 8:19 PM
    • 1,930 Posts
    • 999 Thanks
    andyhop
    • 21st Apr 19, 8:19 PM
    • 21st Apr 19, 8:19 PM
    Opposite the door , location is more important than flow
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,479Posts Today

7,121Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin