PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Storing cooking oil when not in use

Options
I have a fryer and can go months and months without using it then a few times in a short period then months again.

I stupidly left old oil in that I haven't used since Christmas and filtered it into a container, then scrubbed out fryer and reused it and now have food poisoning! Learnt my lesson because of that.

I hear various things online about if its stored in a cool dark place in a glass container it should be fine, problem is my fryer is a 2 litre one so that won't be easy, I have a ice cream tub I can use, but not sure if thats suitable, or maybe put it in that and freeze it?

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry to read that you are unwell.

It is relatively unlikely that the cooking oil itself is the source of food poisoning. Microbes cannot live in oil without food and water present. Plus the oil should have been heated to a high enough temperature for a long enough period of time when reused to kill the usual suspects.

IMO it is more likely you have food poisoning from the fried food itself, another food or drink, or that the stomach upset is not technically food poisoning but a bug picked up when out and about.

The main problem with used vegetable oil is that it oxidises and goes rancid. That occurs over time, with contact with air, is accelerated by light and warmth. Glass bottles filled to the top/ with a narrow neck reduces the surface area of the oil, so reducing contact with the air. Obviously filling them would be challenging.

Filtering cooking oil is unlikely to remove all food particles, and will not remove microbes. Plus air has already being introduced when the hot oil 'bubbles'.. TBH I would not store used vegetable oil for many months, but rather start from scratch each time you clean out your fryer. And/ or switch to a different cooking fat.

HTH. :)
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm sure it was the oil as last time I used it I was a bit queasy then but not sick, and the oil was brown and had a few air bubbles in.

I wouldn't mind freezing it but if I have the urge to make something it wouldn't be usable for that.

I did notice the oil did heat up very quickly far quicker than usual.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure