• Missus_Hyde
    Missus_Hyde Posts: 531 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    18cc wrote: »

Quite.

I do believe.

I do, I do. :D :rotfl:
    A cunning plan, Baldrick? Whatever it was, it's got to be better than pretending to be mad; after all, who'd notice another mad person around here?.......Edmund Blackadder.
  • couriervanman
    couriervanman Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    More chance of seeing Elvis riding Shergar
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    I note that the article actually says 'up to £300'. Where they get this figure from I have no idea.
    I am confused as to why MasterCard have been singled out for this legal action. Why not, for example. Amex whose fees to the retailer were and still are higher.
    I really cant agree with this legal action. Credit and charge card company's have always charged fees to retailers from the very beginning and retailers have absorbed these fees into the their pricing on the basis that accepting the card will get them more custom or prevent the customer from going elsewhere.
    What do the people who are taking this legal action actually want to achieve? To create a situation where no charges are levied on retailers for accepting credit cards? The result of that would be and end to 56 days interest free purchases and interest on purchases from day 1 as the banks have to make money somehow from customers who repay in full every month.
  • bd10
    bd10 Posts: 347 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well, let's see what the settlement number will be like. As it was the case with Volkswagen, the asked amount is extremely likely the amount Mastercard might have to pay. But as other posters rightly pointed out, MC is not the only payment system provider. Will the lawsuit get extended to Visa and Amex? Amex would be the most obvious target as they - albeit smaller market share here - charges the most.
    Expecting MC & Co not to make any money on interchange would be silly. After all, without their payment networks the payment work would look very different. They have and will have to invest into technology to keep improving the network. On the other hand, we have an oligopoly and oligopolistic pricing is less competitive than under perfect competition.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    Credit and charge card company's have always charged fees to retailers from the very beginning and retailers have absorbed these fees into the their pricing on the basis that accepting the card will get them more custom or prevent the customer from going elsewhere.

But is it fair that customers who used cash, rather than cards, should have been contributing toward these fees, and effectively subsidising the card users?
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    But is it fair that customers who used cash, rather than cards, should have been contributing toward these fees, and effectively subsidising the card users?
    I believe yes, They could have used a credit card if they had wanted to.
  • LobsterMemory
    Options
    Merricks said he does not personally stand to make a cut from any court award. “I am paid an hourly rate of £150 for the time I have spent on this,” he said.

And he's been working on it for at least two years...
  • bd10
    bd10 Posts: 347 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    @Bob:
    That's a fair point. Customers paying by cash are subsidizing card customers. No doubt and the retailer cannot have a dual-pricing policy based on the method of payment.

But if we look at Sweden, it's the other way around. They are pretty much cashless now and cash transactions are more expensive to them. Have the Swedes had a lawsuit against the central bank? I just cannot help to feel that this lawsuit is stuck in the past and behind the curve of progress. My humble 2c.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »

Probably not.

But ironically, as online retail grew and pricing became more granular, with card transactions attracting a fee to cover the costs, everyone shouted about how unfair that was.

Now we've moved back to a place where everyone contributes to card fees again.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Options
    I don't think the issue is down to the fee charged to the retailer by his processing bank. Rather I suspect it is down to one of the elements that goes into the setting of that charge. If it were down to the fee imposed by the processing banks the lawsuit would be against them.

This particular issue is that one of the costs of doing business as a retailer is effectively down to something called the 'interchange fee'. That is a percentage of any credit card sale transaction and it has to be paid by the retailer's processing bank to the card issuing bank - it is not retained by MasterCard - or Visa, for that matter.

If that interchange fee did not exist, then, yes, there is a chance that prices at the point of sale might be a tiny fraction lower but a Merchant Service Charge (MSC) would still be charged to the retailer by his bank and would still be part of the pricing structure - and I don't think there's any argument over that.

Were it not for the interchange fee, many credit card issuers would have to make hard choices to continue in business profitably. Almost certainly, cashback cards (which pass some of the interchange fee back to consumers) would not exist.

If there were no interchange fee, the business case for being a card issuer becomes more shaky and we could end up with fewer cards, less choice and less competition. Worse than that, we could end up with no interest-free period for full payers or see the re-introduction of annual fees, and that means we all end up paying more.

This is a big deal for the cards industry and it was already rumbling away before I left the industry in 2005.

On the issue of cash customers subsidising card customers, there may be a grain of truth in that but don't forget retailers pay bank charges for banking cash and cheques and that is also built into their pricing structure.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure