PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Use of land for 30 plus years..

Hopefully this is right place to ask..

My FIL has used a piece of land at the end of his drive as a parking space for 30+ years, he always knew it as “no mans land” and cleared it of bramble to use. When the factory next door redid their fencing they even fenced avoiding this area of land.

Now it has been demolished and purchased by a big housing company who have come round and started digging it up while he was out, when he got home he confronted them and was told they are building the sub station for the new houses there.

My FIL seems to think as he has used it for so long they can’t now use it and has parked his car there so they can’t continue working.

He doesn’t have any means to fight this via a solicitor, can anyone offer any advice?

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I thought the land needed to be"enclosed" for it to become his. From your description it had never been enclosed
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Brodiebobs
    Brodiebobs Posts: 1,032 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It has been cleared, tarmac laid and there is a fence to once side that separates if from the factory land (which they put up) and a small knee high red brick wall. So it is enclosed from the road, and looks like the rest of his drive with the same tarmac and stone walling.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Even if he had been using it, if he didn't apply for the title to be trasferred to him, I don't think it automatically becomes his.

I think he would have had to apply for title.

It's possible that the actual owner would have to apply to have him evicted, at which point issues about timscales, whether or not he was using the land with the owenrs permission or not etc all become relvant.
    if he wants to contenst their use of the land then he is likely to need proper advice.

If the land next to his house is being developed, did he not get notice when the planning permission was sought?
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Brodiebobs
    Yes he got a planning notice, but only for the houses and the plans showed then within the fenced area, there was nothing about the substation.

There is one the other side of the fence to the land, so guess they’re just moving it back a few meters- never thought about planning but guess they should have it even to move an existing structure?

I’ve advised professional help, but he doesn’t have the means to pay, and the developer when approached just said tell us who your solicitor is and we will speak to them, in quite an intimidating way, probably knowing full week he wouldn’t pursue it.
  • SmashedAvacado
    SmashedAvacado Posts: 1,262 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    If he does want to claim ownership then he would do well to avoid saying things like "treated like no mans land" because to claim adverse possession you need to show use of the land as your own to the exclusion of others. If you use land in the belief that anyone can use it, i can't see how you can show that you have done that.
  • Brodiebobs
    He meant it was “no mans land” when he bought the house, as in no one used it it was overgrown and covered in rubbish. His memory isn’t great but he thinks either estate agent or neighbours told him it was his, where the toilet block for the house used to be, so he cleared it and took it back into his own boundaries, however he doesn’t have his deeds so I’m in the process of looking at land registry.
  • It sounds like he may have a case for adverse possession, but with a large company disputing this and no legal representation he may well have a hard time defending his position.

Might it be worth speaking to a solicitor to see if his case is strong enough for them to take on on a no win no fee basis - if he wins the company will have to cover legal costs?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    He probably could have applied for adverse possession - but if it's recently been registered in the developer's name, then he doesn't stand a hope. They can show that he hasn't had exclusive use for the last twelve years, because they've just dug it up...
  • Brodiebobs
    Land registry confirms it does not form part of his boundary, however there is no plan for the former factory land, only a title register.

When you search land aerial view rather than postcode and highlight the section it shows no results, which is also odd.

I've also looked at the planning application online and the current fence position is on a line saying 'boundary', not including this land were referring to and there is nothing about the sub station either.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Brodiebobs wrote: »
    I've also looked at the planning application online and the current fence position is on a line saying 'boundary', not including this land were referring to and there is nothing about the sub station either.

If there is no planning permission on the land you need to ask the planning department to send an enforcement officer ASAP.

IANAL but is it not also possible he could claim an easement by prescription over the parcel of land?#

Check if he has legal cover on his house insurance policy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure