We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Spring fertiliser

Options
aj9648
aj9648 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
Hi

Daft question maybe - I need to put down some spring fertiliser on my lawn this week but no idea where to start or what to get...any helpers please?

Comments

• Justagardener
    Justagardener Posts: 307 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 April 2019 at 4:30PM
    Options
    There are many fertilisers on the market a general 3 in 1 which will kill moss, weeds and feed the lawn is a safe bet. Evergreen Complete is a good all rounder.
    If you have lots of moss, Lawn Sand is good, it's low in nitrogen but high in iron. This will green the lawn nicely and hammer the moss but will not make the lawn grow too fast.
    If you have a good lawn and want to give it just a good feed. Scott's lawn builder is one of the best.
  • aj9648
    Options
    Thanks

I used the ever green a few days ago and is really showing the moss up. Is it best just to take all this out and not mow for a while??
  • Justagardener
    Options
    Keep mowing as necessary. Scratch the moss out with a metal tined rake if you want to..but hopefully if you cut low enough you will take the moss out and the lawn will start to thicken up
  • aj9648
    Options
    So the lawn has started to look like this:

https://twitter.com/payrollexcel/status/1121131043166334978?s=21

Is this the moss coming up or have I over done it with the fert? I did do a little raking and the kids were playing in the lawn all day Monday

Any suggestions?
  • Justagardener
    Options
    It's difficult to see any moss but the lawn looks standard after "heavily"applying fertiliser with moss killer that hasn't been watered in enough and walked over a lot (kids playing on!) Moss goes blackish when treated with iron and so will the blades of grass, so dont worry
    After this weeks forth coming rain I expect you will see the lawn thicken with dark green grass ...so all good.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure