PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Lease renual issues

Options
Hi,

My husband and I currently live in a block of flats (7) where we are all the leaseholders. The lease is being renewed as the original lease states that flats can not be sublet and the new proposed lease will allow subletting.
Currently, there is at least two of the flats being let out.
The decision to renew the lease was made over a year ago, with everyone in agreement. It is with the solicitors but there are a select few who have not returned their paperwork thus halting the process.
One of the said people is also one of the leaseholders who is subletting.
Basically, I would like to know where we stand and if there is any action we can take as we are in the process of selling and this has already caused us to lose one sale.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Who is the freeholder and has he agreed to the granting of new leases?

Neither the freeholder, nor any of the leaeholders, can force another leaseholder to sign a new lease if they either don't want to or can't be bothered. They have a valid lease and don't have to change it.

Of course, if a leaseholder is breaching their current lease, eg by sub-letting when their lease prohibits this, then the freeholder could enforce the current lease terms and force the leasholder to evict their tenant and stop sub-letting. That might incentivise them to sign a new lease.............
  • SylviaB
    SylviaB Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    its a little bit complicated. all the flat owners are the lease holders, its run as a company where every flat owner is a shareholder.
    the lease was up for renewal as it is now under 90years. everyone has agreed to the changes, obviously is going to benefit the owners who are subletting. but we have lost a sale because of this already. now we are getting to the point where we feel like we need to take legal action against the ones in breach of the current lease to just make them sign it! if this is a possibility at all? or if anyone can give any advice at all??
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Have you been round and had a chat with them?

It could be that they have an issue with the new lease. It could be that they just don't both reading complex official documents properly and don't realise they need to sign something.
  • SylviaB
    Options
    yes have spoken to them and every time all we get is the sort of 'oh yeah I'm going to do it asap' but still nothing happens....my husband is actually having a mental breakdown over this as its taking over everything for the past year!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Surely not everyone needs to sign the paperwork, if you all own a share in the freehold then all you need is a majority in agreement to make the changes.

Happy to be corrected
  • SylviaB
    edited 16 April 2019 at 3:05PM
    Options
    well that is what we are being told by the solicitors, that each owner has to sign it.
  • Soundgirlrocks
    Options
    I just wanted to say I feel your pain, nag nag and smile and nag!

We are in the same boat, it has taken me 3 years to push it through despite everyone wanting it, and having paid for it! Some leaseholders have had 4 sets of documents, one forgot he had a second charge. We finally started to make headway once I had another leaseholder who is trying to sell so we were both chasing the outstanding paperwork. Unfortunately people don't see the urgency unless it having a direct impact on them.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Simonr66 wrote: »
    Surely not everyone needs to sign the paperwork, if you all own a share in the freehold then all you need is a majority in agreement to make the changes.

Every leaseholder's lease probably has to be changed - to allow the other leaseholders in the block to sublet.

Nobody can force a leaseholder to accept changes to their lease.

(It doesn't matter if it's a sole freeholder, a majority of the joint freeholders, or 100% of the joint freeholders - they cannot force lease changes on a leaseholder.)

So even just one leaseholder can block the process.
  • SylviaB
    Options
    Thanks for your comments everyone.

I understand from previous comments that we can't force anyone to sign a new lease (frustrating as this is as it is hindering our sale) so,

Basically, I just want to know of we can take legal action against the other lease holders who are ALREADY letting their flats knowing they are is in breech of the current lease (current lease doesn't allow subletting) and are just doing it anyway.

Many thanks
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    SylviaB wrote: »
    Basically, I just want to know of we can take legal action against the other lease holders who are ALREADY letting their flats knowing they are is in breech of the current lease (current lease doesn't allow subletting) and are just doing it anyway.

Yes - typically a lease will allow freeholders to...
    • Write letters to a leaseholder telling them to stop breaching a covenant - and charging the leaseholder a reasonable admin fee for sending a letter
    • Instruct a solicitor - and charge the leaseholder for the solicitor's fees
    • Start court proceedings to forfeit the lease for beach of covenant. i.e. The freeholders could potentially repossess the flat
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure