Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bod1964
    • By bod1964 16th Apr 19, 9:29 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    bod1964
    MortgageLife Insurance
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:29 AM
    MortgageLife Insurance 16th Apr 19 at 9:29 AM
    Hi. I have an insurance with Scottish Provident that pays a lump sum that reduces over the life of my mortgage. I have repaid my mortgage 5 years early, is it prudent to cancel this policy and replace it purely with a death policy? I pay 67 per month.

I have also been told that cancelling a life policy effects my credit score, is this correct?

Any advice welcome.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 16th Apr 19, 9:53 AM
    • 38,637 Posts
    • 22,587 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:53 AM

I have also been told that cancelling a life policy effects my credit score, is this correct?

Any advice welcome.
    Originally posted by bod1964
    You have been misled. No detriment to your credit status if) when you cancel any insurance policy

As you no longer need cover to pay off your mortgage, then no need for this policy

Decide on whether you want life cover now and take it from there
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 16th Apr 19, 9:53 AM
    • 97,994 Posts
    • 66,155 Thanks
    dunstonh
    , is it prudent to cancel this policy and replace it purely with a death policy?
    It may make sense to replace the life assurance with another life assurance policy if the old one no longer does what is needed for you. i.e. old one is a decreasing term assurance and you have a level term assurance need now.

It is difficult for us to say as we do not know your financial needs.

No. that is complete rubbish.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

137Posts Today

987Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin