Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zola.
    • By Zola. 16th Apr 19, 7:55 AM
    • 1,436Posts
    • 658Thanks
    Zola.
    0 WOW
    City / Sunny break with a 1 year old?
    • 16th Apr 19, 7:55 AM
    0 WOW
    City / Sunny break with a 1 year old? 16th Apr 19 at 7:55 AM
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a good spot to go with a 14 month old... come September?

I was thinking somewhere thats no more than 2-3 hours on the plane, as we don't know how he will react to it all.

I have never travelled with an infant, so unsure if it will be one big stress-fest, or worth it! A beach holiday is out of the equation, as he's just far too young.

Open to infant friendly hotels, Air B&B etc... appreciate any tips!
Page 1
    • pattycake
    • By pattycake 16th Apr 19, 9:49 AM
    • 1,302 Posts
    • 1,143 Thanks
    pattycake
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:49 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:49 AM
    I would have thought he was just the right age for a beach holiday! Toddlers love messing about in sand. Even if he isn’t walking independently by then, he can be held whilst paddling etc. A family hotel will have a shallow pool and play equipment.

Two or three hours by plane will take you to Spain, Portugal, the Balearics which should be lovely in September.

To my mind, it’s a city break which would be stressful with a toddler who would be confined to a pushchair the majority of the time.
    • Momanns
    • By Momanns 16th Apr 19, 9:54 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Momanns
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:54 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:54 AM
    Agree with the above, maybe keep your options open location wise and focus on a great hotel/deal? We've used the Tui "Family Life" resorts a few times and highly recommend them
    • richardw
    • By richardw 16th Apr 19, 10:11 AM
    • 18,942 Posts
    • 7,991 Thanks
    richardw
    • 16th Apr 19, 10:11 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 10:11 AM
    Alcudia and Puerto Pollensa have family friendly beaches.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 16th Apr 19, 11:11 AM
    • 20,047 Posts
    • 46,416 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 16th Apr 19, 11:11 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 11:11 AM
    Why do you think he'll be too young for the beach OP? I think it's an ideal age, he'll be far more comfortable in the heat being free to trudge around the beach and sit & paddle in the sea than trudging around a city strapped in his pushchair.

But if you do insist on a city how about Barcelona, that would give the best of both worlds, a fascinating city with plenty to see, child friendly and a beach nearby for when he's had enough sightseeing.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • novelty-socks
    • By novelty-socks 16th Apr 19, 2:24 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    novelty-socks
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:24 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:24 PM
    We took my son to Biarritz when he was not much older than that. I'd really recommend it: you can fly direct from Stansted (and possibly Gatwick during the summer months), and it had a great combination of stuff for grown ups and kids.

It's a small city, so we found a big AirBNB right in the centre (prices are reasonable outside of peak season) and everything was walkable, including the main beach (so you have the option of the sand if you want it), the surf beach near the centre, and lots of nice cafes, restaurants and bakeries.

We also hired a car and were able to drive up the coast to some incredible beaches on the Atlantic coast. It's also about an hour's drive to San Sebastian, which was pretty-touristy but is also on the coast and has some great food.

We've actually done a few city breaks with him now, and haven't found them too stressful. But then, I think the sweet spot is definitely a smaller city (Lisbon was a little too large and cobbly!), where you still get a wider range of amenities than would be available in a typical resort.
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 16th Apr 19, 10:54 PM
    • 819 Posts
    • 995 Thanks
    ibizafan
    • 16th Apr 19, 10:54 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 10:54 PM
    Any of the Balearic Islands would be my pick. Nice short flight, and plenty of family hotels to choose from. The only thing that might be a disadvantage is that hotels often have inflexible evening dining times for young children. Apartments might be the way to go.
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 16th Apr 19, 11:01 PM
    • 3,143 Posts
    • 8,253 Thanks
    melanzana
    • 16th Apr 19, 11:01 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 11:01 PM
    Will the child at 14 mo old remember the travelling angst for all of you.

I would try somewhere within driving/train distance in UK and try it out first. Just my opinion.

Sorry if I have burst any beach bubbles. Adults come first at that age IMO.
    • novelty-socks
    • By novelty-socks 17th Apr 19, 10:57 AM
    • 239 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    novelty-socks
    • 17th Apr 19, 10:57 AM
    • 17th Apr 19, 10:57 AM
    Will the child at 14 mo old remember the travelling angst for all of you.
    I know they're all different, but at 14 months old it was easy to travel with my son. He was happy to sit on our laps and fairly easy to amuse on a plane. He loved running through and exploring airports. And travelling with him sparked lots of interactions with locals that wouldn't otherwise have happened.

Also, it was cheaper. Now he's over 2, we have to pay for his own seat on a plane, for a start!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

162Posts Today

954Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin