PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Tuesday 16th April 2019

Options
nmlc
nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 16 April 2019 at 6:53AM in Old style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Tuesday 16th April 2019

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one, those who are poorly and those who are looking after a poorly person x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Light cloud and dry underfoot here, not so cold overnight as there doesn't appear to be a frost. I have a wash load ready to peg out on the line. I got a load line dried yesterday.

DH up and getting ready for work, DS2 also getting ready for work, I'm enjoying my first cuppa and my porridge whilst on here. DS settled and ok.

Dinner last night was scampi, chips/jacket potato and beans for the menfolk, I had baked fish and veg. Tonight we have hairdresser coming so will be a late one. Need to think about what we're having as not sure at the moment.

Yesterday work was either manic or dead, so not sure what today will bring. It's my short day so not too bad.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

Bit gloomy here this morning but better later apparantly, Easter egg hunt at work again so it will be crowded.

Chicken and chorizio bake for dinner tonight its nice and easy so will make it up and shove in the oven after work.

Got to pick dd up again this morning hopefully they can get a courtesy car to her today or tomorrow they are not sure when they can get her car done as they have a busy week so it might go over to next week.

Only three fore days this week I cant wait for a four day break
    :j

Washing to to tonight and the dw to empty.

Have good days all xx
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,033 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning everyone.

It's rather murky in Glasgow. Cold too.

I've got a little shopping to do, DM wants some fizzy water. The IV fluids have now been stopped as have the ABs. She's so much better. Now I have to cut her hair :eek: as we can't find a mobile hairdresser. Twice she's had appointments with one who goes into hospitals and both times the person didn't turn up. I've NEVER cut hair so am just going for 'straight across'. Wish me luck!

Thoughts to all those struggling, I hope everyone has a happy Tuesday.
  • ScarletRibbons
    ScarletRibbons Posts: 2,071 Forumite
    Options
    Good morning, and thanks NMLC for starting.
    It seems to be a pleasant enough morning, wish it would warm up a bit though. I think it's forecast to get a bit warmer, which will be nice. I'm sick to death of my winter coats.

I'm going to Tai Chi this morning, and will buy one or two bits and pieces on the way home, when I've remembered what I want.

DD and the children are still at their caravan, so I think they'll stay now over Easter, and her partner will go back down on Thursday. It seems ages since I saw them, because we were away, but we'll catch up next week.

I am going to ask DH to get our summer clothes out of the loft - we bag and label them in the autumn, and put them up there so that our wardrobes etc are not packed. There's always something that I've forgotten I had. Hope everything still fits!!

Thinking of all our poorly and recovering people, and those struggling with life

Take care folks xx
  • ScarletRibbons
    ScarletRibbons Posts: 2,071 Forumite
    Options
    Good luck with your Mum's hair Gers, I once cut DH's hair, years ago (when he had some) and made a terrible mess of it, he was threatening not to go to work!!
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Morning all,

Thank you for your advice yesterday around my girl troubles. Neither of us are in any rush so I'm going to take my time over the next couple of weeks and see how I feel. To be fair, she may well be feeling the same way!

I left work yesterday, ran to the SM, got my weekly shopping, home to make my dinner and my broccoli and ricotta soup for my lunches this week then had yoga for 1.5 hours.

No gym this morning and instead I have that torturous boxing class again tonight. I know I'm not selling it, but you feel better for it the next day.

Gers - Nice to hear your DM is feeling better. Good luck with the hair cut, too!
    Scarlet - That's incredibly organised of you. I am very impressed.
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,637 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone,

It’s a bit cloudy and overcast here, like others we are due to have warm weather over the long weekend, can’t wait as it might not have been a very cold winter but I’m fed up with it all now. Mind might have scuppered that now as I washed my big, yard coat yesterday to put it away, let’s hope I haven’t jumped the gun!

Glad to read that your DM is much brighter Gers and good luck with the hair cutting.

Think your wise to take things slowly with your young lady Speky, instant attraction is good but sometimes it takes a while to get to know someone, my DOH was a bit of a slow burner :D

Thinking of all poorlies or those caring for them, have a good day folks x
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning all! The neighbour across theroad came round with some homemade soup last night and a book for me to read. Very nice of her and I was touched except I'm not sure about the book, it's one of those 'I had an excrutiatingly bad life but now I'm better' ones, whereas I prefer science fiction...I'll give it a go anyway.
    Plans for today...Neaten the edge of the grass outside, don't buy anything on the internet, sow some aubergine, agretti and lettuce, brush the patio, potter a bit...
    The thing from Freecycle was judged a success, OH and his friend assembled it, we will not now be covered in pigeon poo on the patio. And I pressure washed it a couple of weeks ago and it's already covered in the stuff...so that means I will also be removing three branches, or the OH will, whatever comes first...

Speky, yep no rushing..I knew my OH for about 15 years before we got together, we just went from always wanting to be talking to each other, to missing each other when we didn't see each other, and then I left my then BF, his GF left him, 6 months later, bob's your auntie...I'm obviously not saying wait 15 years though! OL, sad news for your SIL, hope Blackun is doing ok...TA, hope the getting away is being good to you. Gers, you go girl! for your mam, as for the haircut, can only advise channel a bit of Johnathan from Queer Eye. SO, did you try out audible books? Still think it would be a good idea for when you visit, because there's no awkwardness in a room with a voice and a story...And thanks to you I did some sowing and potting on yesterday :) SR, Tai Chi, woo! I tried that a few years ago, looks really easy, I found it weirdly a good workout...Lainey, hope lu is ok, same to you mehefin. Yo Holly!! Wotcha MIA's...
    Tip top Tuesday!
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone :hello:
    I'm glad to see the back of last night's sleep as I was up every 2 hours to use the loo and then it took ages to go back to sleep again. Anyway, today is a new day and I feel ok now after a wash and change of clothes.

An easy dinner tonight as we have loads of left over pork from Sunday to use so I have some honey and mustard sauces to put with it and serve with rice. We had Cumberland Pie yesterday which was very lovely but quite rich. I shall tweak the recipe next time we do it I think.

Jemima is coming over to see me today, she came over yesterday too with the grandchildren and it was such a lovely surprise to see them. They have gone to spend a few days at their dad's house now so we shall see them later in the week.

I am hoping Lilly will do some cleaning for me today and I have a couple of loads of washing to get going. I have to wait for the kids to get up as I can't carry the baskets downstairs.

Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
  • snoozer
    snoozer Posts: 3,586 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I can't remember if I posted yesterday, I don't think I did.

Speky, I've been trying to remember my courting days but it is 42 years ago! I met Steve in November and remember I liked the look of him but we didn't go out until January and I didn't fall for him until I got to know his personality. Our senses of humour meshed, we enjoyed the same things, he was (very) intelligent and most of all he was the opposite of my dad! So I think, although usually appearance is what initially attracts it's what is underneath the surface that really matters.

We had a lovely day yesterday. We walked up to the limestone pavement at Malham and then had a late lunch at the pub there. We bought cheese from the fantastic cheese shop and had that for supper. If any of you watched the programmes on making things through the ages (hats in Luton, shoes in Norhampton etc) Andy who owns the shop was the expert on the cheesemaking episode.

Our friends are leaving today but I don't know when, probably after lunch. We have the plumber coming tomorrow to service the boiler and will probably try to get over to see Steve's sister at some point and maybe my aunt. We go home on Friday.
  • RosyRed
    RosyRed Posts: 3,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone :wave:
    I think I'll just have a pottering day at home today.The weather isn't quite as clear as it has been but feels warmer.Had a nice visit with Auntie- at 88 she puts me to shame with all her activities.She's involved a lot with her church and helps to run a drop in cafe type thing on Wednesdays,is on the flower arranging rota and last week a group of their singers went to a residential home to perform.She told me quite a few of the ' old ladies' had colds.I bet a fair few of them were younger than her ;)
    Our ongoing problem with the back gardens may rear its head again this week as we had a letter from the council telling us to remove all the fences by Thursday, we haven't but as neither of the chief protagonists have removed any fences or the offending shed and they're the end 2 cottages, I think we'd have enough time.DH and DS2 are only working 5 mins away so I have to ring him in an emergency- we're certainly not letting the council remove it and then recoup the cost off us with the time it takes them to finish a job :p

Then again nothing may happen as was the case 2 years ago.Tbh I'm sick of all the arguments and discussions and them expecting DH to be a go between with next door and next door but one ( even the council !) I've been looking on RMove seeing what's available

There will never be an agreement between them so we're stepping back and taking a que sera sera attitude now,but it makes me mad that 4 years ago we bought this house and fences /garden sheds had obviously been up a very long time:mad: Right that's enough of my whinging- better see what I can dig out for tea :D
    DGS was back off his hols yesterday and wanted to see his Daddy for an hour so he picked him up and they played football on the front grass.He is staying W,T,Friday.Not sure DGD will stay so long though as her Mum is working nights until Wed and won't have seen her much.
    Scarlet,my Bigshot was an older model off e bay but still works fine,it wasn't too dear x

OL- hugs,it must be a difficult day for you xx

Hope you all get to do nice things and enjoy your day xx
    :heartsmil 'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure