Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mattyk123
    • By mattyk123 15th Apr 19, 8:01 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mattyk123
    Car insurance after motorcycle accident
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:01 PM
    Car insurance after motorcycle accident 15th Apr 19 at 8:01 PM
    Hi there,

I'm getting slightly confused about where I stand in regards to liability and NCB on my car insurance. Long story short, I had 4 years NCB on my car, full sparkly clean licence. I stopped driving the car and the insurance ran its course and ended. I then get a motorbike in the aim to cut my commute time. I wasn't allowed to use my NCB on the bike insurance as it had come from a car (also a different company from my car insurance) - higher premium but whatever.

Then I had an accident on the bike and after a stressful long time it's finally been settled. I made a claim against the other parties insurance for my damages (I was 3rd party cover) and I settled 50:50 on the advice of my solicitor at the end of last year.

The other party counter-claims and despite providing my insurance with all the letters as they come in to me, they sit on their hands and it goes to court unchallenged. I get a CCJ. Finally after practically harassing them, my insurance has told me they are settling in favour of the third party (which I guess they had to since they didn't bother even responding to the court documents).

So now I'm here, I'm going to make sure the CCJ is removed but in terms of future car insurance:

1. With two results (me settling 50:50 and my insurance settling in favour of third party) which do I select when I'm asked about previous accidents? 50:50 or my fault? I'll probably take this to the financial ombudsman claiming their incompetence has resulted in a judgement against me.

2. What happens to my NCB? It wasn't used with the motorbike and wasn't even with the same insurer.

Thanks all.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 15th Apr 19, 8:08 PM
    • 38,619 Posts
    • 22,562 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:08 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:08 PM
    1) Needs to be disclosed as a fault claim (all your fault as that's how it was settled - though were it split liability it would make little/no difference to future premiums)

2) How "old" is it?

Regarding the CCJ, don't wait till you jump through the hoops to get the FOS involved - get on to your insurer now and demand they get this paid ASAP.

In tandem get your complaint in to the insurer in line with their complaints procedure in case you eventually do need to escalate to the FOS

Your credit status is currently trashed! Getting cover now won't be straightforward with this on your record

Online off the peg insurers will mainly refuse to quote, and it may be necessary to use a broker to find a sympathetic insurer

Keep proof of all the extra expense this neglect is costing you to be reimbursed if and when your complaint is successful
    Last edited by Quentin; 15-04-2019 at 9:18 PM.
    • mattyk123
    • By mattyk123 15th Apr 19, 8:53 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mattyk123
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:53 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:53 PM
    Thanks very much for the reply.

1) I'll get onto it. Hopefully it doesn't sky-rocket my car insurance.

2) The car insurance last lapsed in August 2017 and I was reinsured around August 2018.

I read that it's the creditor (the solicitors who won the judgement) that must notify the courts for the removal - Is that correct? Should I contact them now that my insurance have told me they've settled and closed the case?

I had made a complaint about them ignoring the letters when the CCJ came through last week so I'll see where it goes. At no point have I ever admitted full responsibility for the accident and considering the other parties insurance split liability, there was no reason for my insurance to not do the same at the very least.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 15th Apr 19, 9:08 PM
    • 38,619 Posts
    • 22,562 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:08 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:08 PM
    If the ccj is paid in full within a month of the date of judgement then it does get removed from the record (and expunged from your credit history)

It is down to the claimant to inform the court they have been paid

But if they don't get cleared funds within the month then even if subsequently paid it remains on your record (albeit marked satisfied), and does trash your credit status for the next 6 years

Should it come to this, then you will need the insurers legal team to get it removed by way of a set aside

The important thing for you is to get them to pay it asap.

As posted above, it makes little difference to you whether it goes down as split liability or your fault entirely

Assuming that you have proof the NCD is dated August 2017 then it can still be used on another csr policy, though the recent claim will impact your premium
    Last edited by Quentin; 15-04-2019 at 9:25 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,486Posts Today

4,251Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin