Advice on breakup please

Options
Hi All,
I'm hoping I maybe able to get some help here as myself and my ex are at a stalemate.
We split up over two years ago, and initially we were going to sell the house and we had a bid that we accepted, but the buyers buyer pulled out.
Anyway someone mentioned to me that I should try to buy the house and up until that point I hadnt given it a thought. I looked into it and I was offered a mortgage and we had £70k of equity but I could only get her £30k which initially she accepted I think maybe because my father left me £10 when he passed away which we used as the deposit (although I know I have no legal right to this).
So back in around July/August last year I was in the final throws of being accepted for my mortgage, and at the last minute she said I dont wish to sell you the property now.
They are now saying the property has increased in value by 20% which I know is just silly because I havent spent any money on the property in this time, and obviously I can prove the value by getting it valued again. They now wish to sell the property again, but one of the concerns I have is that if we had an offer and I deem it to be acceptable and she doesnt we are in limbo.
Also I know that she doesnt really want the equity that I could release for her as it will affect her tax credits etc, but one thing I have heard is that she can only claim those credits for a period of time whilst having her name on an asset like a house.
Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated - I have been to a solicitor but it soon became clear that the only way to resolve this was in a court and it probably wouldnt be worth doing so for the amount we are arguing over.

Many Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You say "they". Several things are not clear.
    Is she living in the house with another partner?
    Did you and she have a joint mortgage?

Probably not an ideal solution but if you mentioned that you are considering moving back in to reduce your living costs (presumably you are currently renting elsewhere) this might concentrate her mind on future options going forward.
  • Watson306
    Watson306 Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    You say "they". Several things are not clear.
    Is she living in the house with another partner?
    Did you and she have a joint mortgage?

Probably not an ideal solution but if you mentioned that you are considering moving back in to reduce your living costs (presumably you are currently renting elsewhere) this might concentrate her mind on future options going forward.

Thanks for your response.
    No I'm living in the property and she moved out and got help to rent (I don't know to what extent).
    I'm living by myself in the property.
    Yes we had a joint mortgage.
    Apologies I'm talking about her and her mum.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If she thinks the house has gone up in value, then it's reasonable to get an up to date valuation, or even put it back on the market to see what level of interest there is, - if you get an offer then there would be nothing to stop you effectively matching that offer.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    During the housing boom I know a couple that had accepted an offer on their house but due to the constant rise in prices the house was worth another 10k more by the end of the buying process...guess what they did...they gouged the buyer into paying 10k more otherwise they’d withdraw from the sale. Unethical perhaps however I’d say she’s got a reasonably legitimate query in values. What would happen if the value had gone down?
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    Just sell up and move on. Clean break, you both get half the equity, all’s fair and no need to look back.
  • Watson306
    Watson306 Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm more than happy to do that.
    But as said I'm worried if I found say an offer for example 5k under the asking price acceptable.
    That leaves me in an awkward position doesn't it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure