SSE pays £700,000 after missing smart meter target - MSE news story

Options
MSE_Andrew
MSE_Andrew Posts: 173 MSE Staff
First Post First Anniversary Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
Big six energy supplier SSE has agreed to pay £700,000 to Ofgem after missing its 2018 targets for installing smart meters...
Read the full story:
'SSE pays £700,000 after missing smart meter target'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• newatc
    newatc Posts: 847 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No fan of the energy companies but the smart meter roll out has been a mess and many consumers don't want to touch them until all issues are sorted . Blaming the middle man seems a little unfair.
  • Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 April 2019 at 12:47PM
    Options
    A few months ago a chap came to read my electricity metre and I did ask him if a smart metre would be better. He said definitely not, as they can cause problems especially if there is a blackout, however short, and then out there in cyberspace there would be a detailed record of how much energy I use hour by hour, causing a loss of privacy and perhaps security, as it would give an indication of when I was out of the house. Far fetched perhaps, but still.

When I said that metre readers would be out of a job due to smart metres, he said no, they would still have to come and read them once in a while, because they can go wrong.

So it's a big no-no from me.
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,013 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 April 2019 at 4:21PM
    Options
    Once again OFGEM proving itself not fit for purpose. Making a big noise about something that is of little real importance so that it can be "seen to be doing something" yet allowing much bigger failings of the suppliers to go unchecked and only getting involved when it is too late.
  • onlyfoolsandparking
    Options
    No sympathy at all from me regarding ANY of the big 6 and nobody is coming fitting a notsmart meter at my house any time soon.
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Don't worry, SSE's shareholders won't see undue hardship as a result of this, they'll just get it back from the customers.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,326 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Raxiel wrote: »
    Don't worry, SSE's shareholders won't see undue hardship as a result of this, they'll just get it back from the customers.

Thank heavens for that, hate to see my dividend drop:j
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Tarian
    Tarian Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why is OfGem fining SSE ?
    Surely Smart Meters are supposed to be optional ?

And if people are seeing through the "lies" of adverts which claim:
    "Smart Meters save you money" - when they don't.

Or worry about intrusion ...
    ..... or insecurity around empty periods ...

............. then that is not SSE's fault.
    :A
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Would this be the same SSE that's been phone spamming me? When I said I'd accept a smart meter so long as I can get it in writing in advance that it'll be a SMETS 2 one that allows me to change provider and continue smart metering, they went away.
  • jcontest
    jcontest Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tarian wrote: »
    Why is OfGem fining SSE ?
    Surely Smart Meters are supposed to be optional ?

And if people are seeing through the "lies" of adverts which claim:
    "Smart Meters save you money" - when they don't.

Or worry about intrusion ...
    ..... or insecurity around empty periods ...

............. then that is not SSE's fault.

I think that if they can show proof a customer has been contacted and rejected the install, then it's supposed to count the same as a install.

I have my FiT through them and they wanted me to install a smart meter with them, but my Electricity and Gas is not with them.

It was their Gas install target that was missed, not the Electrical install target. Also, the fine was more of a token amount as the regulator felt they were taking good steps to get everything on track.

It's funny really, they were about 50 days behind target and get hit with this.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm no apologist for the "Big 6" - but it seems a bit unfair when small suppliers can put off installing any form of Smart meter.

Both my current suppliers are stating that they MIGHT start converting customers late in 2019.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure