Can I swap electricity supplier whilst owing money to another?

Options
Zannie73
Zannie73 Posts: 8 Forumite
I currently have an electricity account with EON. Due to a massive delay last winter/spring with our LPG supplier we had to rely on electric heaters, sending our bills sky high. I am still paying off the backlog £1399. Unfortunately EON are basing my current and future usage on the past year’s usage, which is making it extremely hard to get the cost down (I’m paying over £250 a month) and I’m struggling to keep up with the payments.
I’ve looked at other tariffs with other suppliers and based on my actual usage, I can cut my bill down to £70 per month (not including what I owe, which will be extra, but will bring the overall monthly payment down).
So could I change supplier, still owing another? I would set up a payment arrangement to clear my debt with EON. EON won’t let me change to one of their cheaper tariffs until this debt is cleared.

Comments

• PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If you are on credit meters and have a debt, suppliers are entitled to refuse a switch. I would say that EON are being stubborn in not allowing you to move to a cheaper EON package.

Edit the title of this thread to include EON, their rep may have suggestions.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You have to settle the debt in full if you switch. Prepayment meter customers can switch with up to £500 debt .
    All Eon credit meter customers can switch tariffs exit fee free and I can t see any reason you would be stopped from doing so. Having a debt should not make any difference in gaining a suppliers lowest possible tariff
  • Thomas_Edison
    Options
    E.on can't stop you switching to a cheaper tariff with them, but they may charge exit fees I believe.

You can contact E.on about setting up a payment plan and if they're happy with it they would let you switch.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,907 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If Eon are basing your payments on last year's figures, can't you give weekly readings to make them base it on your present usage?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Zannie73 wrote: »
    I currently have an electricity account with EON. Due to a massive delay last winter/spring with our LPG supplier we had to rely on electric heaters, sending our bills sky high. I am still paying off the backlog £1399. Unfortunately EON are basing my current and future usage on the past year’s usage, which is making it extremely hard to get the cost down (I’m paying over £250 a month) and I’m struggling to keep up with the payments.
    I’ve looked at other tariffs with other suppliers and based on my actual usage, I can cut my bill down to £70 per month (not including what I owe, which will be extra, but will bring the overall monthly payment down).
    So could I change supplier, still owing another? I would set up a payment arrangement to clear my debt with EON. EON won’t let me change to one of their cheaper tariffs until this debt is cleared.

Hello Zannie73 and sorry for the late reply. Only just spotted your question.

It depends how much is still outstanding when the new supplier applies to take over the account. Usually, objections for outstanding balances come about where the balance is over £200, the debt is over 28 days old or we've sent a formal request for payment more than 28 days ago (this doesn't include a first reminder). If we do object, we'll write to let you know the reason and what needs to be done to remove the objection.

As others have said, having a debit balance doesn't stop you from changing tariff. You can do this at any time either online, over the phone or, if available, through a Price Comparison site. We don't charge exit fees when moving from one of our tariffs to another. They do apply when changing supplier outside the renewal window (49 calendar days before the tariff end date until 20 working days after).

Should you switch supplier, the outstanding balance becomes due immediately. We'll be happy to look at setting up a payment plan if you talk to us at this point. If not and your Direct Debit is live, we'll collect payment automatically through this arrangement on the date stated on the final bill.

You're right, we do base payment arrangements on past usage and current prices. Totally understand your exceptional circumstances last year and would suggest you talk to us about this. Ask for a 'Change of Circumstance' review. This lets us look at different situations to see if we're able to change payments based on unusual circumstances. We'll need up to date meter readings.

If this is possible, we'll write to confirm the new payment amount and that it's been amended because you told us things have changed. We won't review again for six months so we can build a record of your new usage.

It might also be possible to spread the amount owing over a longer period.

Much will depend on the existing arrangement on your account. I'd suggest using the Live Chat service on our website. Advisors are online from 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and between 8am and 6pm Saturdays.

Hope this is useful Zannie73 and sorry again for the late reply. Let me know if I've missed anything or you need any more information.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you are on credit meters and have a debt, suppliers are entitled to refuse a switch. I would say that EON are being stubborn in not allowing you to move to a cheaper EON package.

Edit the title of this thread to include EON, their rep may have suggestions.
    Houbara wrote: »
    You have to settle the debt in full if you switch. Prepayment meter customers can switch with up to £500 debt .
    All Eon credit meter customers can switch tariffs exit fee free and I can t see any reason you would be stopped from doing so. Having a debt should not make any difference in gaining a suppliers lowest possible tariff
    E.on can't stop you switching to a cheaper tariff with them, but they may charge exit fees I believe.

You can contact E.on about setting up a payment plan and if they're happy with it they would let you switch.

Just a quick head up all. As above, we don't stop customers moving from one of our tariffs to another because of outstanding balances on accounts. On the contrary, it's something we actively encourage if the new tariff will help reduce the balance.

As Houbara says, there are no exit fees when switching between E.ON tariffs. These only apply when changing supplier outside of the renewal window.

Hope this explains.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure