IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

PCN Headache

Options
Hello

Now, I'm reluctant to post since I always feel I can sort things myself, but having read through the newbie section and tried to understand all that is there, I figure it safest to ask.

Thing is, I don't think time is on my side.
Last year, I was issued with a PCN from Civil Enforcement LTD.
Having had one of the most unsettling years of my life including the sudden loss of my mother, I was on a self destructive downward spiral. I recieved the PCN, googled it, saw what I think now to be some old information, and tossed aside the letter.

Now, after returning from two months of travel, I have a letter from ZZPS debt collectors informing me of an inflated bill (60 risen to nearly 200) and impending possible legal action.

I parked in a public shopping precinct car park for 13 minutes, not seeing the signage. Evening time so signage unlit and difficult to see. But I'm not trying to shirk responsibility for my actions.

On my travels, I cultivated some real peace and distance on the events of last year, so at this point I'm really considering to pay the charge for an easier life. However, I don't like to shy away from a challenge..

Also, I read something about POFA wording and golden tickets and see nothing mentioned about POFA on my letters.

I feel that I'm doing exactly what you don't want newbies to do, but honestly, I have been reading and feel that the time constraint dictates that I ask for your help.

Also, I just want to say that the work you guys are putting into this forum is phenomenal. Thank you so much for putting your time and effort into this resource.

Ok, I also tried to add links to images of two of the letters (the first and last), but can't post links as a new member. Is there another way for me to do this?

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Having had one of the most unsettling years of my life including the sudden loss of my mother, I was on a self destructive downward spiral.
    So sorry to hear that. Life unravels for a while, doesn't it. Most of us have been there I am sure, and we understand.
    I'm really considering to pay the charge for an easier life.
    Not any more! you have us behind you now. :)

However, I don't like to shy away from a challenge..
    Good, we like people like you, who almost always see off these scammers!
    I also tried to add links to images of two of the letters (the first and last), but can't post links as a new member. Is there another way for me to do this?
    Break the links and test to see if they accept in a reply here, once disguised. Remove or change http to hxxp and add gaps or remove the . and type 'DOT' to replace it!

Have you exhausted the possibility of marching in to complain to the shop Managers? Try that is there are retailers there, go in with the latest letter and ask them to cancel it, and/or Google who owns/runs the centre (always easy if the place has a local name of retail park).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • SoloTraveller
    Options
    hxxps://i.postimgDOTcc/DzFyCT17/20190308-121159.jpg

hxxps://i.postimgDOTcc/mrtjP06y/20190308-120950.jpg

hxxps://i.postimgDOTcc/vmgFL2NG/20190308-121440.jpg
  • SoloTraveller
    Options
    Wow!
    A response in under 10 minutes. I'm speechless.

Thank you so much ��

The precinct holds about 4 or 5 small businesses. Largest of the two is a sainsbury's local and a pound stretcher.

The PCN is from Civil Enforcement LTD.
    Would appealing to the retailer work (possibly) in this case? Particularly since we're at the debt collection letter stage? I'll do what you say, I'm in your hands.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Would appealing to the retailer work (possibly) in this case? Particularly since we're at the debt collection letter stage? I'll do what you say, I'm in your hands.
    Always worth a polite, yet assertive complaint to the retailer (or the managing agent if a larger retail park, or one servicing multiple retailers). Doesn't always work, but when it does, that's the monkey off your back as the PCN is killed - dead!
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Would appealing to the retailer work (possibly) in this case? Particularly since we're at the debt collection letter stage?
    Debt collector stage is NOTHING, and costs nothing.

Yes, works most times, if you try ALL the retail Managers (and only speak to the managers) even if you were 'only browsing' or 'paid in cash that day'... Chances are you might find the manager who hates this scam and has cancelled PCNs before and is only too happy to help (buy something first, smile a lot and show willing!).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of alleged contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors. Is has been suggested by an MP that some of these companies may have connections to organised crime.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, (especially Smart}, and others have already been named and shamed in the House of Commons as have Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each week), hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned. They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

The problem become so widespread that MPs agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Hopefully, this will become law by Easter .
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • SoloTraveller
    Options
    Ok, so a visit to the retailers didn't produce any joy.

I've since recieved a letter from the solicitor of the debt collection agency talking about CCJ's etc.

Having revisited the location that the fine was issued, I think there could be a good case for having not seen the signage. Since there are very few signs that are placed in discreet locations, none are lit and the entry one is covered by a tree.

Anyway, what action should I take next?

hxxps://i.postimgDOTcc/6phZz7y3/20190416-143841DOTjpg
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Your image of a standard debt recovery frightener; ignore mode still works: -
    https://i.postimg.cc/6phZz7y3/20190416-143841DOT.jpg
  • SoloTraveller
    Options
    Also, I read that there has been a change in law in regards to these type of tickets. Would that have an affect on my situation?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure