Hardly ever use the heating but still expensive?!

Options
Riisargh5
Riisargh5 Posts: 26 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
Hey guys, so I've read through a bunch of posts and non seem to have quite the help or advice I'm looking for so I'm posting my own.

Some background info:
-3 bed, mid terrace house
-combi boiler (10yrs)
-energy supplier = Bulb vari-fair - DD
-only 2 radiators in use - living room & dining room
-2 people living
-wash pots once a day
-have a shower/bath once a day
-double glazed
-loft is newly insulated
-thermostat set to only heat up if go below 15degrees

Over the winter we would only use our multi fuel fire since we were only using the living room.
We would put the radiators on maybe 3 times per week for 1-2 hours. We were shocked at the price at £70(Nov) so we started to not use it AT ALL only for hot water for baths etc. December's bill was £19.

This February we have started to use the heating more often. We've just got a bill for £96. Which equates to around 80kw per day usage!

In the past, we had a gas leak which was fixed straight away, the gas man said it was leaking from a pipe before the meter so wouldn't have caused the meter to run.

Why are we so shocked at this high price?!?
What can we do to reduce it?

Thank you in advance

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,907 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The first question is whether the bill is based on estimates or readings you have provided?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 March 2019 at 1:33AM
    Options
    Also, as always with this sort of thing, you need to start taking your own gas meter readings. I would say every day but certainly weekly. Then get your tariff details and work out exactly how much your gas is costing you per day.

There is no reason not to monitor your own usage and do your own calculations.

If you are unsure of the calculations, post your daily/weekly gas use and your unit rates and standing charge details here and one of us will work it out for you.

As a guide, we live on the south coast, well insulated semi, two showers per day plus washing machine 3 or 4 times a week. C/H on mainly only in mornings for 2 hours = approx £25 for February, an unusually warm month. That's an average 35 Kw per day. We have a wood burning stove, used after 6 pm.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,131 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I see you posted a similar question on Dec 6th and got similar practical responses to the ones above.

You didn't come back to the forum then - will you this time?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,614 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You need to read your own meters at regualr intervals like it's already been suggested. Do your own calculations and and check that your bills are based on actual readings.

Having a whinge when the bill comes in because you dont know what you've used, when you've used it or why you've used it wont help you find out whether your bills is right or wrong.

As Robin says, you need to help yourself rather than hoping that a clairvoyant on this forum can work it out for you.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Thomas_Edison
    Options
    As they mention above check if it's estimated or actual.

Bulb are generally one of the cheaper deals out there, but they're not the cheapest.
  • Riisargh5
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. Sorry for my lack of response. I had trouble with finding my posts on this forum. Think I've found how to use it properly now. Finally replied to my post I made last year too ��

My bills are based on monthly meter readings.
    I'll start to take weekly meter readings.
    The past few months have been £40 or there abouts which seems to be mainly for electric and water as we only put the heating on about 3 times in the month.
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 4 July 2019 at 2:49AM
    Options
    Just above the first post hit the [Subscribe to thread] Button.

Is the thermostat in the Living room???? If its in the hallway the boiler will fire all day until the heat reaches it.

Most times when tested it is more energy efficient to heat the house 24/7 at 16c rather than on/off as the walls need to absorb all the heat again, working extra hard to do it.

With the boiler off check the reading and then 2hrs later to look for leaks, its unlikely with a bill of £19 in Dec though.

Also what is your location? Age of house? Solid walls or cavity?

Is the fire drafty when not in use? I bet a lot off heat will be lost up the chimney, Is the an air vent in that room or will the fire suck air from the rest of the house?
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,131 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Riisargh5 wrote: »
    The past few months have been £40 or there abouts which seems to be mainly for electric and water as we only put the heating on about 3 times in the month.

Use the gas for water heating in the Summer instead if the electric immersion heater.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Riisargh5
    Options
    Thank you guys. 
    So not sure how or why but after switching to a new provider our bills have been steady, not fluctuating and cheaper than usual and we have used the heating more than usual too. 

Of course we have done some more draught proofing. 
    All the advice was much appreciated thank you very much. 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure