🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Barclays - Gadget Insurance

Options
I have been paying the monthly fee to Barclays for mobile phone and gadgets insurance (Tech Pack).

I am wondering it this is worth it?

I am confused about their terms and conditions, because they say they will only cover items which are less then two years? Is that right. My tablet is about 4 years old now. So it my phone. Is it only good for people who regularly update their tech gadgets?

I also notice the excess was £75... which might not be good for older tech items?

I may have misunderstood their terms and conditions?

I don't know if their cover is old for new?

Comments

• rajeshk4u
    rajeshk4u Posts: 114 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I also buy used gadgets on eBay e.g. phone or tablet. SO more then likely over 2 years old.
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    My tablet is about 4 years old now. So it my phone. Is it only good for people who regularly update their tech gadgets?

I don't know how much it costs but it doesn't look like it's worth it? How much would it be to replace these with similar items of ebay? How much is the policy per year?

There's usually no point buying insurance for things you can afford to replace, or for which the cost of insurance is likely to add up to more to the replacement cost.

If you have some expensive gadgets that you cannot easily replace, but you need, then insurance makes sense. Otherwise, just take the risk, look after your stuff well, and if you do lose something fork out to replace it with whatever you can comfortably afford, even if its a downgrade.
  • mab3000
    mab3000 Posts: 513 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    To summarise their pack, it provides cover for up to 4 mobile phones and an unlimited number of gadgets worth up to £1500 each gadget, for the account holder (including joint account holder), domestic partner/spouse and children under 18. The gadgets must be under 5 years old. There is no age limit for mobile phones. You do pay an excess of £75. They will either replace or repair the product.

Also, if you are a regular overdraft user, if you have the tech pack, you do get the first £200 of your overdraft fee free, whereas you pay 75p per day otherwise (unless you are a premier account holder or have the Travel Pack as well).
  • Flobberchops
    Options
    mab3000 summarised it very neatly. I would say the pack is good value if you have multiple phone handsets, or if you and your family have multiple tablets, laptops etc. The optimum situation would be a married couple with two children, a phone each, and multiple other devices. If you're a single person with just one phone and very few other devices (or tend to buy preowned, or upgrade less often than every couple of years) then you may struggle to justify it.
    : )
  • Alex1982
    Alex1982 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Can you clarify how much you're paying per month?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport